It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neutrino Research Project Back on Track

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Neutrino Research Project Back on Track

www.upi.com

BATAVIA, Ill., Aug. 17 (UPI) -- A project to fire neutrinos through the earth from Illinois to northern Minnesota is back on track because of U.S. stimulus funds, officials say.

The Fermilab project, called Nova, has been suspended due to funding problems, but now $40 million is going to build a neutrino "detector" in Minnesota and another $103 million is heading to Fermilab for other aspects of the project, including a move to boost the power of the neutrino beam, The Washington Post reported Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
cerncourier.com
esciencenews.com

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Well, at least the Stimulus Package is funding something interesting. Firing Neutrinos through the Earth. First they have to build a detector to receive the neutrinos at the other side. I would imagine that it detects some sort of ocillation difference in the neutrinos as they pass through the detector. I just don't understand what they mean when they say the neutrinos change into one another. I also do not understand how this experiment could explain why we are made out of matter and not anti-matter. Science was not my best subject. Can anyone help to explain this experiment in simpler terms?

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I'm involved (albeit peripherally) in the computing part of this project.

Oatmeal -- look up neutrinos on Wikipedia, it's a fun read. Neutrinos do in fact oscillate, changing their "flavor". Too much to explain in a post.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Oatmeal -- look up neutrinos on Wikipedia, it's a fun read. Neutrinos do in fact oscillate, changing their "flavor". Too much to explain in a post.

Doing that now, but I still don't understand what they mean by "They change into each other."

new topics

top topics

join