It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Christianity so hated?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Now I am sure I will get plenty of replies like "THERE IS NO GOD!" or "Because you are all fools." But I hope to get some legitimate, and well thought out replies from people on both sides of the fence. I am also open to constructive criticism to help me improve on future threads.

It's because there's probably no god, and religious doctrines don't allow maybe's or possibilies. I'm an athiest, and I see faith-based thinking as unintelligent. It's the attitudes of thiests that say there "has to be a god" and "we had to have been created by a god", usually because of thoughts that we are so special and other narcissistic attitudes.

If religious people say it may only be true, rather than definitively stating it, then the perceived hatred would not be as bad. It's more frustration at being told what to think and what to believe, when those people claiming absolute truth cannot back up their claims. And then feinting offence just because we don't wish to believe in god, and most of the time they are the one's who initiated conversation on the street or knocking on your door!

When I've explained how faith-based thinking produces illogical and incorrect conclusions, and even give example of how faith-based thinking has failed to produce accurate results over centuries; and they just look at you like you had just tried to explain quantum physics or rocket physics, then it's very easy to conclude that these people are of lower intelligence. I've given them the time to be logical, but it's always the same old arguments about the bible and various other fantasy stories that they prefer to use in their indoctrination methods.

There's always the questions of where did god come from? By assuming humanity is so special that we "had" to have been created by a god, then surely this god is even more special, and by the same logic - who created the blighter!

I prefer this logic - if god exists, and humans are the end-product of his hard-work, and looking at the failure of humanity on many scales that make us imperfect. How can an perfect being create imperfect beings!? Unless god is a failure and imperfect as well! If so, then is this god just another living entity like us, except further down the chain of evolution, and actually not a creator, but just an imposter that is part of nature just like ourselves?

Either your god is an alien posing as a god, some other imposter lifeform posing as a god, a failed god, or doesn't exist.

Another problem is that religious leaders use terminology such as "accident" when they discuss issues or quote scientists, and they are being absolutely serious when they accuse scientists of saying things which they did not!!!

When in fact science does not even call us a great accident, except when being sarcastic. So religious leaders are showing a lack of understanding of science in their first sentence, so it's difficult for them to make a proper argument, especially when they have so little substance of their own beliefs to put forward as anything more than conjecture.

So a lack of understanding of a scientist's point of view and athiesm's views also contributes to the annoyances, but not hatred.

So, it's a mixture of religious self-righteous imposing doctrines, and general ignorance by the religious crowd that produces the undesired conflicts and perceived resentments.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by john124]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
Sadistic and cruel? Can I receive some sources please. I'll rebuttal each one and then some.

Ok, he is sadistic because he had Abraham wait 100 years before letting him have a kid, then when the kid was about 20, God told him to kill his son, then before he does he tells him not to, as if to say, 'nyaa nyaa, just messing with ya.'

As for crule, Jobe was probably the most kindest, loving person you'll have ever met. But god, out of the blue, decides to taint his crops, kill his family, friends, and livestalk. Then on top of that he festers Jobes bod with horible boils.

If that ain't sadistic and crule, I don't know what is.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

Ok, he is sadistic because he had Abraham wait 100 years before letting him have a kid, then when the kid was about 20, God told him to kill his son, then before he does he tells him not to, as if to say, 'nyaa nyaa, just messing with ya.'

As for cruel, Job was probably the most kindest, loving person you'll have ever met. But god, out of the blue, decides to taint his crops, kill his family, friends, and livestock. Then on top of that he festers Job's bod with horrible boils. If that ain't sadistic and cruel, I don't know what is.

I have had personal experiences which are finally taking an immense toll on me- that match right up with this stuff- I wont go into all of them- it'd be a 20 page novel. I can say, ya cant define mean and cruel til you've had it stuffed in your face. The deity himself is a real winner, and his people doubly so.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
If you thought that god told you to jump off a cliff edge without a parachute would you do it, or reconsider that you may be ill?

Most cases of faith-based thinking produces crap results that weren't wanted. When it comes to really important issues, it's always better to use critical thinking before taking action.

This kind of thinking, where god told me to do it, so I did it, is exactly why faith-based thinking is unintelligent, often with negative outcomes.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
reply to post by JJay55

But we don't stone people to death in the US for adultry. We don't behead people for changing their personal religion

Nope- we have Christians for mental abuse and use of their muscle to make sure anyone who doesn't end up in their little club (and has all the 'right' attributes) ends up as close to a social outcast as you can get. Remember, their little behinds will be going to 'heaven'. How interesting a lot of those behinds are evil, rich, hypocritical, cruel, mean, and inhumane.

Are you comparing physically punishing a woman for adultry by burying her to her waist and then having stones thrown at her until she is dead, that happens currently in Islam under governmental Sharia Law to a Christian clique?

For a list of current stonings and other barbaric practice that is current and posted daily go to:
www.thereligionofpeace.com
For graphic photos of Christian girls beheaded go to:
www.centerforstrategicanalysis.org...
scroll down. They were killed in 2005 but there are many other current examples if you would like them.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124
If you thought that god told you to jump off a cliff edge without a parachute would you do it, or reconsider that you may be ill?

Most cases of faith-based thinking produces crap results that weren't wanted. When it comes to really important issues, it's always better to use critical thinking before taking action.

This kind of thinking, where god told me to do it, so I did it, is exactly why faith-based thinking is unintelligent, often with negative outcomes.

According to Islam the law must be followed, if not it's enforced. So there's more to faith based thinking that is not mentioned in this post.
That's what alot of Westerners can't understand. In Islam it's the law, if you convert to Christianity in Saudi then the penalty is death, and it is carried out. If you are a homosexual in Iran the penalty is death, and it is carried out. With faith based law then there is room for hate to grow.

The question was: Why is Christianity so hated?
The answer is: because there are religious governments ruling 1.4 billion people who enforce hate.
As for the others who think hate is an emotion, for Islam hate leads to jihad. I don't think Americans are going to make their emotions go kill people over religion. Do you?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I wouldn't say Christianity is attacked more than other denominations. Modern Christianity is riddled with hypocrites and use Christ's teaching for their own personal gain instead of spiritually bettering themselves and others around them with compassion and sympathy. There is much consternation among the Evangelical community toward other Christians and they think they are holier-than-thou and that they are the chosen ones to be saved. Another thing I detest about that movement, is how they wear their faith on their sleeves and it is as though they are openly competing with other denominations on who is more Christian than the other. Their fanaticism appears like hatred toward other believers and that is patently non-christian and evil. I think matters of faith should be private and not a competition.

They are like the zealots of Christ's time and their religious leaders are money grubbing hypocrites. They are wearing $1000 suits, driving fancy cars, and living in big houses. I thought Christ and his Apostles where humble men and sold everything to continue their ministries? I just highlighted the Evangelicals because deep down I think they are evil. What I am railing against is the fanatical believers and they comprise all Christian sects. I think Christ's teachings are something mankind should aspire to because it is inherently peaceful and what could be wrong about that? However, it is the religious leaders that obscure those teachings and push their people to evil for their own selfish gains. That is what people are attacking not the religion itself. Every organized religion has blood on their hands. That's why I believe matters of faith should be a private thing between the believer and their supreme being and not a public spectacle.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I totally agree about the American Christian church system being money grubbing whores. So maybe we should define what "hate" really means?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

There is more opposition to Christianity than any other religion.

We forgetting about the hatred towards Jews and Muslims here?

I'm sorry to bring a negative angle here but it seems like a thread created to stir emotions from the Christians. I can see from what you write here that you have a brain worthy enough of thinking up your own answer to this.

People hate religions, there are so many reasons... most of them pretty obvious. I'm not meaning to sound like a patronising ***t but even taking into consideration people's different opinions on the matter the answers will still be pretty obvious.

Anything that has rules is disliked.
Anything that has opposition which thinks it is superior/more correct (other religions) will feel the brunt of criticism.
Anything which is old is criticised.
Anything that presents speculation as fact will be criticised.
Anything which tells you how to think about strong subjects (abortion, euthanasia etcetc) will be criticised.
Anything which causes wars will be disliked....

Look, I'm not saying I agree with the above, I'm not aqdmitting to be of any religion and I'm not saying any of the above is morally, ethically, factually or divinely true. What I am saying is look at religion... like it or not it should be easy to see why outsiders will criticise it.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by and14263]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I agree- but I need to add to your post. Some of these people wield actual power. Now- if these people are praying to God/ Jesus, then where is the power coming from? They pray destruction, they get it. They ask for money, they get it. They (insert random act of violence/ natural disaster) THEY GET IT. They aren't satanists, they pray to GOD. Who then supplies whatever their little dark hearts desire. Everyone else, who needs actual healing, or finances- anything good- we're given a song and dance and not much else- except for the Middle Finger of Contempt. Personally, it frightens me no end.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

Yes, I am. The results aren't as direct, but they are still there. To be honest, I'd rather be directly killed than my will, my mental health, and my very life being stripped away layer by layer until what's left finally dies- which is what Christians do to those they reject. At least the islamists are up front about how violent they can be, while Christians prefer poison in the dark. Then, to top it all off, they blame the person they destroy....

[edit on 18-8-2009 by wylekat]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think it has to do with our generation renoucing our elder's customs and starting our own. People have come to realize that Christian leaders (I'm referring to Roman Catholics) are not infallible and see that it is an organization built on intolerance and superstition. I am all for everything Jesus taught, I've recently been getting into Buddhism but I understand the public unrest.

People are just anxious, we are in the middle of some strange times.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

You bring up some good points and I can't really answer why the diabolical types with power get what they want when the meek and unfortunate get nothing. The people with power manipulate everything around so I think they obtain whatever they want because they have social stature, wealth, and education. What you are getting at is a free-will issue. These people choose to do vile and despicable things because they can and I don't think any supreme being has much say in it at all.

This rock is our playground and we either play fair or unfair. I think its best to let the vile and despicable destroy themselves and I do believe in what goes around comes around. I have seen it with people who have wronged me in my own life. I try hard not to sink to the level of those who are despicable because in reality I would be no better than them.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Is christianity in general hated , world christianity , or are a select group of christians hated. American christians to be exact . Do many particularly have objections to christians in Europe and Africa , if not , then the common ground , the theology has to be excluded and what is left remaining examined . So how exactly do American christians differ from other christians around the world in a negative way ? Therein lies the reasons why .

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

I see faith-based thinking as unintelligent

This statement always busts me up.

Where would scientists be if they didn’t have faith, and work on them, to prove them.

THAT’S called faith based mentality too.

And you think it’s unintelligent?

IMO it’s unintelligent to base your faith, or life on only the things you can see.

Just think of the things you can’t see that you life depends on.

peace

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
When people blame Christianity for the woes of man, I believe that they aren't taking into account just how awful man can be. It's simply the fact that in certain areas and certain times Christianity was used by those awful people as their cover for their actions.

Corruption makes use of any and all tools available.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

It seems to me that most people in the world today are growing tired of the idea of religion in general and not specifically Christianity. Naturally, if you live in the Western World you are going to notice more opposition to Christianity because it has become such a dominant force in the West especially in the US. Unfortunately, Christianity when taken just as a religion lends itself to these types of criticisms because of its followers failure to except some of the many obvious flaws found within the doctrine. I was a devout Christian when I attended my first year of college to pursue an academic career in Religious Studies. Although I still adhere to the teachings of Jesus Christ I was shocked to learn of all the discrepencies found within "The Bible" especially the New Testament. The majority of "preachers" who attend seminary school in the US are taught these things but refuse to share the truth with his/her congregation on Sunday. They know about the widespread manipulation of Christian doctrine throughout history, know about false authors and dates, know about the books that were simply "left out" which shed new light into the thoughts of the earliest Christians but they refuse to tell their congregations anything but "believe and put money in the plate or you will burn forever." I have to admit that once I learned the TRUE history of Christianity I was left with more quesitons than answers. The most shocking aspect of this for me is the totall adversion by the Christian Church in addressing these very important issues. It became very obvious to me that what was being taught in the college and seminary classrooms was dramatically different than what is being taught to the congregation in most Christian "churches" today. As I stated above this type of diametrically opposed dogma lends itself to criticism and distrust. Im actually suprised more people don't criticize my religion because the truth is that there are numerous inconsistencies within Christianity that need to be addressed. Whether or not most Christians want to believe this is a whole other issue entirely. But untill we do Im afraid Christians are just going to have to grow "alligator" skin because there are bound to be more people that will see these faults and attack them vigorously. I hope I didn't offend you with my humble opinions.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Perhaps when all is said and done, Christianity is really ultra-reform messianic Judaism with a Rabbi (with Daviddic pretensions) executed for armed sedition against Rome during the Insurrection at Passover (in the year 36 CE) during the reign of the 'divine' Emperor Tiberius at the 100th anniversary of the Roman Invasion of Judaea 'by the gentiles' (BCE 63, Pompey's Campaign &tc.), who worships a zionist middle eastern clan-god (YHWH) with little co-relation to anything out here in the 'west' whose laws are mainly taken from Greece and Rome (via British common law)--and thus in some way, it could be construed as a foreign self-serving Messianic cult which no longer has any validity in the '21st century'.

When examined closely, I cannot see drinking the blood of dead Rebbes or eating their flesh has any connexion with the real world today, other than to perpetuate fear and superstition based on an outdated Weltanschauung based on 'master races' and 'chosen people' ('to the Jew first, but then to the Greek also') something we moderns in the west have begun to eschew.

This might be one reason why the Europeans have decided to move on to higher levels of spiritual experiences from their mediaeval ancestors, who mixed so much of their pagan (i.e. gentile) heritage into the socalled 'Gothic Style' cathedrals which bears little if any resemblance to the band of antiRoman aniGentile 'Messianic' first century Jews who were awaiting their "messiah" to save them from a brutal occupation.

But, then again, by 70 CE, look how that turned out !

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by john124

I see faith-based thinking as unintelligent

This statement always busts me up.

Where would scientists be if they didn’t have faith, and work on them, to prove them.

THAT’S called faith based mentality too.

And you think it’s unintelligent?

No, science has an evidence based mentality. Anybody can dream and believe in anything, but to have a mindset directed entirely by faith-based thinking is unintelligent.

If a Maths premise is proven wrong, it is scrapped. We don't accept a derivation to be true because we have faith, but we call it fact when it's proven. There's no faith in that at all, and it's often a lack of understanding of the science and maths when somebody feels that faith is needed.

A mathematician will never try and calculate 2+2 = 5 because we have already proven it to equal 4. If a mathematician were to convince himself thru' faith that it must equal 5, then it would be illogical and unintelligent thought processes going on. Similarly religious people have these same thought processes when evidence states otherwise.

It sometimes does take intuition in more advanced maths to determine proof, but this is not in the same sense as blindly believing in a god.

In fact maths derivations and other proofs are part of critical thinking and rational & logical problem solving skills, not at all faith-based.

IMO it’s unintelligent to base your faith, or life on only the things you can see.

I agree, but would expand this further to say it is unintelligent to base reasoning on any faith at all, unless we are speculating, then that's in the realms of fantasy.

In fact the whole idea of faith is based on limited human perceptions on what we may feel must be true because we cannot explain something. This faith almost always produces inaccurate conclusions.

Scientific theories on dark matter, which is most of the universe that we cannot even see or observe.... which is accepted to be the most accurate models because of the experimental data and maths providing the necessary proof.

Just think of the things you can’t see that you life depends on.

Precisely.... you must have misunderstood what I meant as I doubt us humans know anything more than a tiny fraction of what there is to know. That is why religions cannot know absolute truth as they claim.

Scientific discoveries are wonderous beyond what anybody imagined in past-days.

Often religious leaders or indoctrinators will mislead their flock with silly accusations towards science requiring faith or that science has labelled us all an accident. This is all simply not the case, and whilst we are only a small part of the universe, and so that makes us less significant than the rest of the universe by a mile, it's pointless to argue how special we are because at the end of the day.... it doesn't change what we are!

Whilst humans may not be as significant as we may wish ourselves to be in relation to the universe as a whole, we don't need a creator to define the whole universe or multiverse to be of great significance. Does it not matter where any supposed creator originated from, and how it came to being??? To replace a great unknown mystery (which is slowly unravelling due to physics), with another unknown does not do yourself justice.

We cannot say god definitely does not exist, but due to the lack of evidence it's scientific to state that god probably does not exist.

We cannot say we definitely need a creator, and there's a multitude of evidence that defines us as being imperfect and not as special as we once thought we were - which was at the centre of the universe at one point!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitalOverdose
In answer to the OP ..hypocrisy.

You know - I agree with that.

Its what grates me most - despite being considered *Christian*...the contradictions and hypocracy I see being displayed by others who consider/call themselves Christian.

Growing up what I really detested was the whole 'Sin Monday-Saturday, yet be all Holy on Sunday' type of behaviour I saw within my own Church community.
It irked me no end to look around the Church and see parents whom I know abused their children, who spent their wages on booze and gambling, who cheated on their spouses, who spoke about love and acceptance yet in the next breath berated others for their lifestyles, for being Gay, for being Non-Christian etc etc etc.

I saw a whole bunch of *talk* but not so much *walk* to be honest.

However I also did see those who DID walk their talk, who did show love, compassion, acceptance etc to all they met...and those are the ones whose lessons were worth learning and taking onboard.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join