It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Christianity so hated?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus

ohhh yeah... may I mention... A complete extermination of any women with an education that has sprung up periodically for 2,000 years?

LOL why do people hate religion (not even going to say just Christianity)

Because it's friggin nuts lol...

And how many people did the wonderful atheist collectivists kill in the past century in the name of "equality" and "caring for the poor" and creating a "fair" society?

That's what I find really funny about this professed horror at religiously-motiviated killing.

Any facet of human psychology can be manipulated by those who wish to and given enough time and force transform people into murderers in the name of a cause.

It's not about religion , it's about self-righteousness, which is surely not anything exclusive to religious people.

Secular people who try to make out as if they're somehow above this risk are lying, ignorant , or disingenuous propagandists.

If you want to talk about totally clueless people devoted to thier ideas and who seek to impose them on everyone and at great cost to everyone and in ways that will have true negative consequences just look at the Global Warming BS.

I see total fools like Laurie David being taken seriously as she propagandizes around the country with Sheryl Crow muttering "The Debate is Over" You will believe! If you oppose us you are like Holocaust deniers.. about Global Warming , when it's probably not happening and if it were, has nothing to do with human industry.

Yet we're supposed to cripple our entire economy becasue of it. In the name of "science"... it's the most unscientific scams I've ever to seen.

Where's all the outrage about that? If Cap and Trade denomination of the Global Warming Religion gets passed into law, it will intrude into so many areas of society that any Wannabe Theocrat would be jealous as hell in this country.

So its things like a total lack of perspective that just makes me question if people really mean what they say... because it makes no sense

It's like when I debate the dangers of Jihad. I'll immediately get a bunch of leftists who insist on bringing up totally irrelevent to today things like the Crusades.

Well damn, if you're against the Crusades, then you would be really against Jihad , one would think.. and you wouldn't always be doing your best to always change the subject when you see people talk about islam

But without fail, if there's one of those multi-culti Leftists around, it's 100% guaranteed they will do all they can to divert attention from Jihad talk and bring up every Christian atroicity in history. As if thats the danger today.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
...not belittling or in any way discounting the shots traded from 'both camps' over the centuries...nor, I assure you, am I personally targetting anyone specifically.

...but engaging in tit-for-tat stuff of finger-pointing, of pointing out the faults and actions of others is generally not a good way to draw closer.
I'd kinda hope that would be in some way our aim...to draw closer to our neigbour as opposed to standing in our backyards yelling "Well, your dog crapped on my front lawn!"
"Yeah, well that open-fire of yours spreads its smoke all over my clean washing"
"Oh yeah, what about that compost heap you have out in your back garden, it stinks in the height of Summer!"
"So - your trashcan needs emptying as that smells bad all week regardless of the season!"
"Oh yeah - what about your neighbour on the other side huh! He doesn't even have a trashcan and spreads his trash everywhere. Don't hear you complaining about him now do I!"

...yeah we can point and shout all day long...all of us likely have reason to...but all that achieves is a sore throat and a rather tense neighbourhood...

...how about instead of shaking our fists we have a go at shaking hands...

...yeah...go hug a tree...I know...

Peace.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

Sure yeah.

But what if your neighbor does all of those things and you did nothing?

What if your neighbor's dog crapped all over your yard and you had no dog?

That's basically what's it's all about.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Here is a novel idea, clean it up, and send your neighbor a basket of gourmet dog bones. Maybe he'll feel bad about letting his dog use your yard to relieve himself, maybe he won't but at least you can sleep well at night confident in who you are as a person.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
Christianity does not exist. Well, it doesn't exist in the institutionalized form we see today. There are still a few remnants of Chrisitanity among individuals, but the overall theme of it in institutional form is deeply rooted in paganism and/or new age. The institution of Christianity is a joke! Even some of those who call themselves fundamentalist are still wrapped up in the institution.

Christianity was never meant to be a religion. It was meant to be a way of life. Christians were supposed to show the love of Christ. It is their lives and the example of how they live that was supposed to bring mankind to repentance for their deeds; not words.

How true.

If one looks a the roots of early Christianity as well as the origins of the "New Testament" one can visualize the goverment intrusion that took place at various times but most notably at the Council of Nicea.

It was soon after that when the so called Gnostic Heretics as well as others were hunted down, tortured and killed.

Their writing were burned and no one was allowed to ,mention their names.

The roots of the persecution arose at the time of the Apostles when the message concerning the Way began to interrupt standard trade in the Meditarianian area and the area around the "Holy Land".

Many were killed as selling of various idles and such were often brought to a standstill. Soldiers would convert and refuse to fight. Gladiators would convert and die.

This went on for years and still does.

Remember that Jesus Christ drove the money changers out of the temple. (connection to ancient bankers)

Although that is not to say that the Christianity that we study is not without merit.

By far the biggest surprise to myself was the marriage between Christianity and Buddhism. The parallels are startling in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
The question isn't well phrased. Christianity isn't any more hated than Islam or any other religion, or Atheism. Someone out there will hate your religion or philosophy, no matter what it is. Just as they'll hate you, because of your skin color, ethnic background, orientation, gender, nation of origin, etc.

Christianity gets a bad name from the people who claim to follow the teachings of Jesus, but who act like ignorant, bigoted jerks. That's not many - most Christians are reasonable, decent folks who believe a certain way. No problem with them. But you've got some very vocal people who have a limited and arrogant outlook, and who are intent on jamming it down everyone's throats. Those few, that tiny minority, give the whole group a bad name.

This same problem applies to every group, not just Christians. It applies to every racial group, every religious group, every group based on ethnicity, gender, orientation, national origin, political opinion, and so on. There are some extremists in any group, and they give the entire group a bad name (I exclude the extremist groups that have their hatred built into their beliefs).

The problem with Christians is that they're the most numerous group in the United States. Moreover, the extremist minority has an influence far beyond their numbers, because they are so vocal. You've got notorious bigots who parade around funerals of gay soldiers with signs that say, "God Hates [nasty term for gay people]". These people claim to represent Christianity, and this is what many people think of when they think of the word "Christian".

Of course, most Christians do not behave in such an unconscionable way. They are, as I said, decent and reasonable people. OTOH, they don't always speak out against such bigotry, either. By remaining silent, they seem to be agreeing with these radical and often violent extremists. But when you have a few people who claim to be Christians and who shout out hate - and when the vast majority of real Christians say little or nothing against it - people will come to accept the extremists as representatives of Christianity. Decent people of any religion would find this hate-inspired rhetoric highly offensive, and could come to view Christian in a negative light.

So if someone is saying hateful things in the name of your religion, maybe it would be a good idea to let people know that they aren't the true spokesmen of your religion. Otherwise, all people really see are the vicious and noisy bigots.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Just to be fair to all some of the Gnostic Christians were out to lunch themselves while some in the organized Church were quite good.

The whole thing is a giant mess in much the same way that everything else is more or less organized Chaos.

I speak to people of every religion.

My neighbors are Muslim, from Syria, well educated and very liberal. I often drink tea with them and eat the almond/pistachio thing that tastes like Pecan Pie.

My neighbor at the end of the block is openly gay and I often speak to him concerning gardening.

The point is stereotypes are hard to find and so when interpreting history one must take into account that it is never cookie cutter perfect.

For example our government not long ago wanted us to believe that gays are all bad and Muslims are all evil. lol

A new kind of war (crusade) against all the evil Muslims in the Middle East...what kind of moron believes such dribble?

Bush and Obama...not a chance. They know it is simply a power play and religion is a side game.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I think the reason is because its an easy target. Not only is it the main religion of many "Western" nations but even the non-believers are familiar with it (because many were indoctrinated into it as kids).

I don't personally hate Christianity and I don't think many of those who are against it or make fun of it hate it... I do understand how it would have attracted so many detractors though.

Christianity is riddled with Contradictions of every kind imaginable and is obviously not true, even dealing with child-like levels of common sense it can be seen to be false. Christianity claims to be a religion of peace and love despite the fact it was historically used to uphold tyranny, carry out torture, carry out bloody Inquisitions, carry out genocide, uphold the belief that -insert race here- was superior to all other races. Seriously though here's this great philosopher Jesus telling everyone to love each other and what happens to his teachings, they get used to commit some of the worst atrocities in history... Now-a-days you have Christianity being used as a political tool, being used to spread some of the more erroneous beliefs imaginable (the whole taking the Bible literally, Young Earth creationism thing) and of course the endless guilt it instills in even the youngest of people with the concept that we are all born sinners who are, unless we change our ways and accept Jesus's love, bound to burn for eternity.

I don't so much mind the anti-Christianity vibe. I think we need to keep it from growing too strong, its one thing to disagree with another person's beliefs but let's not let our difference tear us apart and on the other hand let's not let the ignorance of blind belief be carried to the extreme and tear us apart that way either...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised how *little* Christianity is hated.
I say this in light of the fact that the Bible is prejudice towards so many people.

Just to give some examples, according to the Bible:
1) Gays are to be killed & homosexuality is a sin
2) Women are under the authority of men
3) Different belief systems are not to be tolerated

And the most prejudice one of them all:

4) Anyone who does not hold Christian views will be tortured for eternity

This goes against the grain of what we believe in modern society - equality regardless of gender, belief, or sexual orientation.
Which is why I'm somewhat shocked that there isn't more hatred towards Christianity.
Not saying there should be any hatred, but I'm still a bit surprised...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Good thread Calstorm! S&F for you.
I think religion is one of the things that are being used to control the masses.I believe there is a higher power but it's far beyond the categories of gender and anything else we humans can come up with.In the end I say be your own personal Jesus.Free yourselves!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

So whats your other options?

Moan and yell about it at your neighbour or attempt to discuss it with them.
Its not about doing *nothing* its about doing something a tad more constructive and condusive to hopefully addressing the issue you may have with your neighbour.
Reading through some of the replies within this thread I'm picking the constructive/condusive ratio may be a tad lacking...

People tend to find it harder to process information when you've just ripped their head off.

Sure indeed there'll be those who don't budge an inch and effectively flick you the bird...again, you still have a choice whether you engage in the game or not.

Most events are comprised of a)the event, and b)how YOU process the event...personally its usually Component B that we tend to have more control over.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Christianity is also one of the most distorted religions. It has been exploited for profit and personal agendas of hate and war.
Why not Buddhism or Paganism?

Because half of you are Christians, not Buddhists?

For non-religious people, God is on the same level as Santa Claus, and its kind of frustrating to watch how they make their kids believe there is a Santa Claus, and make sure they dismiss every evidence of the contrary with "we are not meant to understand". Non-believers enjoy rational thought and reason, and respects intelligent decisions. Thats why they get frustrated with people who follow something blindly without thinking.

And yes, as the guy a few posts above me says, Christianity is a judging religion with masochistic tendencies. It divides people into Good and Bad, where the people who are not questioning the scripture are Good, and the others are Bad.

The Good people like the thought of Bad people going to Hell. It makes them feel good about being one of the Good people. Its a egocentric religion that doesnt see people as one. Rather it sees everyone as a individual who have a choice. The choice to either go to hell or believe in a God. Not really a choice is it? Not really something that honors the human beings unique ability to reason is it?

Seriously, its a crap religion. To move forward as human beings, we have to get rid of the "us and them" mentality. It only creates conflict and wars, as should be painfully obvious when looking at the world today.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
well as for the constructive critisism when you said brunt of the jokes you either mean butt of jokes or bears the brunt of them. anyhow christianity is mostly attacked because it is the real religion, jesus says in John 15:15 (i think) 'if the world hates you remember that it hated me first' he also says somewhere in John 'i have told you these things so that in me you may have peace, in this world you will have trouble, but i have overcome the world' these two statements show that Jesus knew we were going to get alot of slack from everyone. as i said above people bag out christianity because its the way, you dont hear people say oh my buddha do you? thats because its human nature to rebel against God and the God of christians is the only God.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedevineone
well as for the constructive critisism when you said brunt of the jokes you either mean butt of jokes or bears the brunt of them. anyhow christianity is mostly attacked because it is the real religion, jesus says in John 15:15 (i think) 'if the world hates you remember that it hated me first' he also says somewhere in John 'i have told you these things so that in me you may have peace, in this world you will have trouble, but i have overcome the world' these two statements show that Jesus knew we were going to get alot of slack from everyone. as i said above people bag out christianity because its the way, you dont hear people say oh my buddha do you? thats because its human nature to rebel against God and the God of christians is the only God.

If I was writing a religion, I would also include chapters on how to not listen to disbelievers.

Lets face it, you are believing in a religion because you are scared of what will happen to you if you dont. Fear of the consequences (going to hell, I guess) is the entire reason why you guys dont start questioning it.

Why would a God create humans that have a nature of rebelling against God, and then when most of them do, he throws them into Hell and rewards the ones who didnt rebel? For kicks?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

the 'good' people as you call them do not like the thought of the 'bad' people going to hell. a true christian's heart breaks when they think of people they know going to hell. as does God's

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedevineone
reply to post by Copernicus

the 'good' people as you call them do not like the thought of the 'bad' people going to hell. a true christian's heart breaks when they think of people they know going to hell. as does God's

Not many true Christians around in this world I think. Dont you have public witnessing of executions in Texas for example, where the good Christians can come and enjoy people getting fried?

The majority support for the death sentence in a country where most of you are supposed to be Christians is interesting, wouldnt you agree?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Reply to post by Copernicus

I completely disagree, and I am christian.

I personally do not associate with the church who, IMO, orchestrated all the ideals that make ppl look down upon christianity.

I believe people of other faiths shouldnt be put to death. I don't believe homosexuals should be put to death. I believe they should be treated the same as any believer. Just because they have different beliefs or lifestyles does not mean they are not of the same creator.

I, of course am part of the few, believe that God the creator is the only one that is capable of passing true judgment.

Please, do not be so quick to cast all 'christians' (practicers and preachers) in the same boat.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree

I believe people of other faiths shouldnt be put to death. I don't believe homosexuals should be put to death. I believe they should be treated the same as any believer. Just because they have different beliefs or lifestyles does not mean they are not of the same creator.

If all Christians had the same view, you would get so much more understanding and support from the world. I think the main problem is Christians who look down on others, and there is plenty of them. You may not be one of them, but its impossible to discuss a religion without making generalizations about its followers. Everyone is unique, so if we cant generalize, we cant say anything really.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

I agree with that statement.

But what people fail to see is that every religion, including atheism, has those people that are going to look down upon those that are "ignorant of the truth" in their eyes.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
The answer to the question is simple. Because other religions are not plural and accepting of everyone.

Christianity=love all men equally.
Buddhism=love and learn.
Judiasm=love and live

Islam is not plural. The only right path is Islam. In Islam Christians and Jews are considered pigs and dogs. Anyone who is not a muslim is inferior.

As long as there is a superior way and those willing to kill, fight and cause violence to make this way superior there will be hate.

Here's a list of over 15000 acts of Islamic hate and violence since 911:
www.thereligionofpeace.com

You will not see over 15000 acts of Christian hate and violence. Modern man is capable of not hating, it's a choice but not in Islam.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join