It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Christianity so hated?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Reply to post by The Killah29

Sadistic and cruel? Can I receive some sources please. I'll rebuttal each one and then some.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Honestly, because there is a decent percentage of Christians that try to force their religion on others. Plain and simple.

Some of the most outspoken christian leaders and followers will tell you to your face that if you don't believe, then you're evil and going to hell. No one wants to hear that.

I seem to recall reading that it is not man's place to judge, but god's. Correct me if i'm wrong on that point but that is what a large percentage of Christians do.

Unfortunately most religions do this as well, so it's not just Christianity.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Reply to post by Hypntick

Also, don't forget that many atheists have that 'if you believe, you're foolish' aire about them....

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I understood Christianity was under attack, but I thought the religion was so large that who cares. Than I saw how HUGE ISLAM is throughout the world and my view totally changed. I think Christianity gets a bad rap amongst allot of the younger generation because people who claim they are Christians constantly ask for money and deceive people, on top of that the people who claim to be Christians their action say other wise. Kids look at this and say these people are no better than anybody else, they lie deceit and cheat too. Yet they want to hold themselves above other people while hiding under the cloak of Christianity.
But i know this is false, because i have met genuine Christians who exude a higher intelligence in there life, on top of the synchronicity that is involved it is not uncommon to experience a miracle when with them. There is something to this faith plus the emotional release you can have when you submit to God.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by spacemanLive]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Reply to post by spacemanLive

Right. IMO, it comes down to pure generalisation. There are those that use christianity as a 'cloak' and there are also those that are truly devoted to their religion. You know them by their fruits.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

im a satanist and I don't hate christianity, just christians. the christians are what messed up an otherwise mediocre but ok religon

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Reply to post by CoffinFeeder

You, my friend, have never met a TRUE christian then.

Out of curiosity, what in particular do you dislike about the christans you have met? Force-feeding of religion, blind faith aka ignorance by many atheists, or something else?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Bear with me, this is only my second attempt at a thread. If there is already one like this i didn't find it.e legitimate, and well thought out replies from people on both sides of the fence. I am also open to constructive criticism to help me improve on future threads.

I think it's because people hate the idea of objective morality. They dont want to be told what to do. They hate the Biblical God.

So by extension they are opposed to the representatives of that system.

I mean it's beyond farce to hear these angry hateful people go on about intolerance .. when it's Christian ideas that are the basis for all those nice fluffy 'can't we all get along' values that used to be the hallmark of the West.

Of course throughout much of history , the Bible was not widespread. Christianity as I recognize it is the framework expressed in the Bible, not church denomination specific law,customs,tradition.

So in that respect , a lot of bad things were done by people who were working under a label that wasn't valid because of an usurptation

But the Printing Press and the inevitable Reformation led to a rejection of the negative things that many people to do this still think as being authentic.

It was the rediscovery of the Bible by the people that led to the respecting of individual conscience, the respecting that other people may have their own different view... the respecting of the idea that salvation and judgement is between God and a person

All these values of "tolerence" of today were because of the Bible. But because people want to live consequence free lives they reject it all and then claim it's the Christians who are intolerant.. when it was the true Biblical Christians who fostered tolerance.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
Honestly, because there is a decent percentage of Christians that try to force their religion on others. Plain and simple.

Please.. try living in Saudi Arabia and then tell us how the big evil Christans are forcing you to do things you dont want.

I am totally unsympathetic to this viewpoint.

In an open society everyone tries to influence everyone in various ways. Toleration only works one way it seems.

But like I said... go to Saudi Arabia and complain to them how difficult it is to coexist with those pesky intrusive Christians.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by VinceP1974

I agree...
A person who disregards any preconceived notions and reads the Bible with full concentration on a daily basis will be changed.
Sometimes it is best to check things out for yourself no matter the religion to find what speaks to you.
Take from each religion. People that claim to be Christians yet attack other people and push there agenda are pushing their agenda not Gods agenda.

I'm not promoting Christianity.
But I can promote an experience with higher intelligence that does not lead you into offending other people and talks to you and protects you.

I'm not saying I'm better than anyone because I will make many mistakes but i do know what I have felt and experienced.
The universe is massive.
Those that want to get caught up in hate towards one another live in a box and you have to deal with them.

Some good questions to ask are:
Why is the whole timeline of human history based on before and after Christ died?

How does Revelations stay so relevant hundreds of years later?

Is that thought control in itself, shaping our phsyche by what we read?
Changing the whole course of humanity?

Who planted these texts here?

Who sparked the mind to profess such knowledge that it still has an powerful impact today?

What if the whole interpretation of the Bible was wrong?

Just think if these ancient books would never have been placed on this earth. The course of humanity would be extremely different.

Just think of exterrestrials placing these texts on earth, and then taking a great viewpoint from space and watching everything unfold. Is that mind control? Manipulating humans into a certain belief system?

Those who dont like submiting to these laws of the Bible makes no sense, we submit to laws everyday, society is built on laws.
It is part of human nature to have laws to guide us.
Im not saying I follow Bible to a T, but i knwo that wisdom is more valuable than any jewel, and it will protect you. Im just passin through and would like to make it out unscathed an in peace. The argument that people dont like being told what to do Falls extremely short. Look at the world today.....

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
For me, hate is too strong a word, but I can see how the too-prevalent bigotry and ignorance in Christianity can incite hatred... My main disagreement is more an extreme loathing or repulsion rather than hate, and it's based on a fundamentally astronomical, or actually inexpressably BEYOND astronomical, flaw in logic, reason, common sense in the religion:

How can the "Only Begotten Son" of the alleged Creator of the ENTIRE infinite, incomprehensible universe have been born here, on a planet in the DARK (with emphasis on "dark" when referring to human "civilization" or as we know it) outer rim hinterlands of a nondescript galaxy among infinite galaxies? Yeah, I know, religious people aren't inclined to think significantly enough, just believe... And the "fun" never ends.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of any religion. I was brought up Christian, but in the past 2 years I can see that all religion does is divide us.

Gays are bad
Stay with your own kind
other religions are wrong
obey your corrupt laws
do not defile the temple

When I put religion aside i can see that we are all together in this, that their are no differences, and that we should love everyone. I make no judgments on any one, the Christians I know think they are above others, better than others, holier than others.

Also I see the religious people around me and all they do is pray..
(They pass a car crash) " I pray they are alright"
See the starving children on TV " Man I hope they get help, I'll pray for them"
See less fortune or overweight people " and think oh god said not to do that to your body"

I donate every week anything that I have, clothes, food and make a dessert for the Thursday crowd at the local soup kitchen.

I befriend those who are different and alone, and treat them with dignity.

If I see a damn car reck I get my butt out of my damn car and help in anyway I can.

Where I'm from thats the difference, my family prays.. I get my butt to work and make it happen. Because I understand that we are all in this together.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by Jessicaviv] spelling

[edit on 17-8-2009 by Jessicaviv]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Actually I have 2 main disagreements with Christianity. The other one is from a moral standpoint: I most strongly don't believe in the idea of a sacrifice for sins. It's too similar to the ancient mentality of throwing children into volcanos to "appease the gods." It might be different if Jesus HIMSELF (if he really existed) said ANYTHING to the effect of his death amounting to being a scapegoat or lightning rod so that others can continue sinning. Yucko barfarama to the maximum...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Reply to post by Dean Goldberry

I think if you look at humanity as a whole you will find your reason. We needed him.

When you think of other planets, galaxies, ets, whatever...what comes to mind? An existence that is of higher intelligence and more in tune with the creator than ourselves is what comes to mind for me personally.

Who knows...maybe the only begotten Son was placed here cause we're the only creations. Or even more logical but still inconceivable is an only begotten daughter...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Reply to post by Dean Goldberry

The sacrifice (I suppose you're speaking of jesus's death) amounts to this: sin = death. Everyone knows the story of the resurrection and the conquering of sin. That is why there was a 'sacrifice'. To know that through jesus all people are given a chance to conquer sin. He was pure at heat and put to death because of it, i'm ashamed of that...not a 'sacrifice' that was made for the greater good.

I like to relate this to the old rule of alchemy : 'in order to obtain, one must first lose something that is of equal or greater value'.....or sumthin like that lol...i don't remember it exactly.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I suppose in some ways people could class me as a Christian.

Why is it that some people dislike Christianity?

Well...just my own opinion...I kinda think its something that can't be finger-pointed towards solely the Christian or the Dis-liker (I know thats not a word, but hey, sue me...hehehe).
Rather its something that BOTH contribute to.

I know a few who claim to be Christians who, well, to be very honest even I find it hard to like them.
Their manner, their attitudes, how they relate to others just grates me in the extreme.
Yes without a doubt there are those who are all 'Holier than Thou', those who beat their bibles like it stole money, those who finger-point and berate their neighbour...who by their very actions DON'T display love and openess at all...quite the opposite.
Though again to be honest I think thats probably because they are simple just, well, bastids...the whole Christian element of themselves comes secondary. You get bastids in any walk of life, in any belief or non-belief.
Being a prize prick is one of the unfortunate inescapabilities of Humanity it seems.

For those types yes, I can totally see that they are certainly contributing to the negative stereotypes of Christians.

I also know many other Christians who aren't like that at all. Who don't force, who don't demand, who don't impinge up anyone else. They believe what they believe and do what they do...without fanfare, without all the hooplah...they just on with their life in their own way.

I guess its like any other 'group' - its the loudest and the most visible of that group who gets the limelight, who gets remembered by most people.

Similar in many ways to ethnic cultures such as my own.
My own culture certainly has high unemployment, high crime, high all-those-negative-stats within it...so often its those who are unemployed, who have committed crimes, who have bashed their kids etc that people notice.
...not so much the great majority of us who are simply living our lives, employed, contributing, law abiding...once again its the negative elements that get noticed and voiced.

That to me is simple humanity though.
Its basic human nature to really focus on the negative.

I mean...think about other aspects of your life - your home life, your work life, your relationships, your community, your country.
Often we don't acknowledge the GOOD there is.
Often we don't compliment people for the GOOD they do.
It tends to only be when something is going wrong or we see something we don't like that we invest some energy in voicing it - voicing our DISAPPROVAL.
Too often our APPROVAL goes unspoken.

I'm sorry to say it, but I sometimes think that we humans are a species of Complainers.

I said up there at the begin that - my own opinion - the dislike for Christians is something that BOTH parties contribute to.
Its not - to me anyway - something that is as simple as "Its because they are unlikeable"...as we all have to also take some responsibility for our own thoughts and opinions of others.
Ultimately if we label a particular Group, if we lump them all into the 'bad apple' category, then WE have made that conscious decision to do so.
In making that conscious decision, in effectively flicking the 'default setting' of our minds towards that group to 'Bad', we have also then filtered out and impeeded the chance that our 'default setting' can change easily.

For instance: IF I believe that all fast cars are red, and thats what I believe pretty strongly, then if I see a red car my mind will on some levels - by virtue of that default setting - see it as a fast car.
However, if a fast car rocks up, and is indeed fast, but NOT red...maybe its Blue...then on some levels I'd already be discounting it.
Then a red car rocks up, and is indeed fast...well, hey, that supports my belief that all fast cars are red so yup, that one gets stored more easily in my memory banks as it reinforces my inner beliefs.

In some ways...the whole dislike of Christians, Atheists, ethnic cultures, Republicans, Democrats, Men, Women, Fat, Thin, Australians (hey I'm a New Zealander, had to say that, lol!)...is a bit like that.

Sure, there may well be people within that group who are just unlikeable in what they do, and by all means, go for gold, dislike THEM if you must...

...but also, we ourselves make that choice to cluster and clump, to demonise that collective...and to also hold to those opinions sometimes with as much fevour as I've heard it said Christians hold to theirs...

...enough of the novel...to sum it up in a nutshell:
Judge me for ME.
Trust me - theres enough about me you probably wouldn't like anyway irregardless of the holding of any Christian belief...

...and...come on now people: Lets focus more on what binds us together than breaks us apart.

I know there are numerous passages within the Bible which separate.
While I do acknowledge its a bit rich to pick and choose...heh...so be it...I choose to pick out and try to live up to the principles of showing love instead.

...may not always be successful in that but hey...

Peace.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by alien]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Reply to post by alien

Well stated my friend, I completely agree. It is indeed a generalisation of the whole group based on a select number.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
A question to those base Christianity on the "followers" which I can totally understand and respect your view point, but how much biblical doctrine do you know? I am just asking because as others have said, you can recognize a true Christian by their fruit. I just find it so distressing that so many so-called Christians have given people such a negative view.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I don't think it's more hated than Jews are or Islam.

I think more and more people are just sick and disgusted of ignorant blind people who read a single book, use it to rationalize anything they do, enforce their beliefs on others and actually in the end 90% are clueless as to what they are reading in the first place... they just make up weird generalizations, take everything literally and apply it to others.

Worse the brainwash you when your young into a horrible belief system where some anti christ figure will one day come...and anyone who opposes the system or any change is labeled either the anti christ or working for him, so people can never change, evolve or advance their understanding of g0d or spirituality...

Why do people dislike...

what a terrible program to make humanity live by.... disagree and the big bad anti Christ will destroy you, disagree and you go to an inferno on an imaginary plane of existence to be tormented FOREVER

lol why do people hate?

Because the whole reason everything sucks and has perpetually has sucked at least speaking for here is HARSH LAWS ON HUMAN BEHAVIOR

Prohibition?

Witch Hunts?

War On Drugs?

Cultural Exterminations?

Endless wars against the other monotheist religions for...absolutely no reason what's so ever?

Stupid philosophies that could lead to the end of the world?

ohhh yeah... may I mention... A complete extermination of any women with an education that has sprung up periodically for 2,000 years?

LOL why do people hate religion (not even going to say just Christianity)

Because it's friggin nuts lol...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I'm sorry but can you point out where true Christianity was, anywhere in what you described? Non of that applies to true Christianity, except for maybe the end of the world, but even then, its not really the ind of the world persay, but the end of an age. True Christianity is all about spiritual growth and enlightenment. Its a journey.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join