Why is Christianity so hated?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

The words of The Christ are the teachings we should follow.

Why ?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

IDK about christians being the most hated religious group...but it's definitely the one people are most vocal about...

that and all the religious wars fought in the name of "God" would probably do it....but then again i'm just repeating what's been said a thousand + times on this site.

edit to add:
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
--Ghandi--

^^^^^^^
true story

[edit on 17-8-2009 by bandaidctrl]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The problem is that religion is inherently about being in others peoples business and changing society to the views it teaches.People could say thats what happens anyway with things other than religion.Difference is most people have evidence and reasons as to why they want to change this or that,challenge someones personal views on a subject etc.Religion teaches people that all they need is *faith* and that it is somehow an admirable trait to have,which couldn't be further from the truth.Take the sort of faith religious people have and apply it to anything else in society and they would be confronted,challenged or ridiculed for it.Yet when it's religion everyone thinks it's admirable,no questions asked...completely back to front.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Perhaps I worded that wrong. The teachings of Christ are the ones I follow because they work for me. MY belief is if I set a good example, I might influence others. If they me I will tell them what I believe, but I won't force it on them.
I happen to think that the philosophy of Jesus' teachings (not the remainder of the bible)would make the world better, but that is my feeling.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
reply to post by purehughness

Let us not forget the atrocities of the followers of Mohammed when they invaded Europe. Or have you forgotten that Spain once was under the rule of Islam?

No I don't think anyone is giving the impression of forgetting this, but at the moment it is xtians that are knocking on my door telling me I'm off to hell if I don't think like them, so we're dealing with one delusion at a time.

Incidentally, I notice Allah seems to be far better at looking after his money than yahwehjesus. Not once in my life have I even heard of a Muslim knocking an atheists door, to raise money for a new roof for the local mosque .

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The words of The Christ are the teachings we should follow. This is what I try to do, and when I fail, as I inevitibly must, being a mere human and not The Son of God, I forgive myself, and try to get on with my life. I don't have to worry about his forgiveness, for I already have it.

I agree the teachings of Jesus are good and should be something we all try and live up to.

Dont ever forget though friend you are a Son of God. We are all sons and daughters of God.

Kudos.

Edit to add: I am a Pagan but I love the teachings of Jesus.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I happen to think that the philosophy of Jesus' teachings (not the remainder of the bible)would make the world better, but that is my feeling.

With all respect lol, if you'd said that to begin with we would have all known where we stood.

Not to worry I know where you're coming from now, and if it suits you then kick on.

Needless to say it wouldn't make a difference to you whether jesus was a prophet or a deity a real person or an amalgam of other religious icons, what he had to say is enough for you ?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It works for me. What I don't understand is atheists who get bent over the phrase "In God We Trust," on our currency. If someone is an atheist, why would they get upset over 4 little words concerning something they don't believe in?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

It works for me. What I don't understand is atheists who get bent over the phrase "In God We Trust," on our currency. If someone is an atheist, why would they get upset over 4 little words concerning something they don't believe in?

Why not

"In Zeus we trust" or "In Allah we trust " or "In Yoda we trust" ?

I'm not from the US so it's not my issue, but I find it kind of cynical for a secularist (right word here?) nation to insist upon carrying this upon its' currency.

Or is the term "God" in this instance, not in relation to a particular god and should read something like ----

"In ( your gods' name here) God we trust, unless we don't"

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I think a lot of it has to do with the way the Christians themselves show hatred toward anybody different from them.

There's a saying "Christians are the only religion who shoot their wounded"- and it's true. Christians hate anyone who invades their little bubble. If you're poor, gay, the wrong color (This works for ANY color, not just whites vs ****), single, ugly, dont drive the 'right' car, go to the right places, or act the way they want you to. You dont want to be a member (of the church) and pay fees? You're a second class person. Christians make any other religion (minus some cults) look like *nothing*. I know muslim women who will sit and talk and even flirt a little (religious taboos be danged, I guess) easier than a christian woman- who takes one look at anything less than her ideal of a guy and spits in your face. Look at how hypocritical they are, How they act towards others (love one and other and treat your neighbor as you do yourself is well out the window). Treatment of the poor? YIKE. Lesser human beings? DOUBLE YIKE.

One thing, tho... why is it when they do pray destruction on someone, more likely than not, it happens.........?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
There is more opposition to Christianity than any other religion. It is constantly the brunt of jokes on T.V. and other media sources. People go out of their way to prove Christianity wrong.

Autowrench:
Ever wonder why this is? How about the many crimes committed by Christianity, like forcing people to accept it at the point of a sword? And how about the fact that they are always attempting to shove their religion down other people's throats?

There is also an anti-Christianity camp atheists can send their kids to to learn why the bible isn't real. It was on Dateline or 20/20 can't remember which.

Autowrench: I wasn't aware of this, can you tell me where I can sign my boys up?

Christianity is also one of the most distorted religions. It has been exploited for profit and personal agendas of hate and war.

Autowrench:
That one is easy, MEN wrote the Bibles, and MEN change it to fit whatever agenda is on the table at the time.

Why not Buddhism or Paganism?

Autowrench: OK, we have heard thousands say they killed this person, this son or daughter, in the name of Jesus, or God/Jesus told me to do this, or I have a vision of Jesus and he made me his sword....it goes on and on. How may times have you turned on the TV and heard someone say they killed their child because the Goddess, or Buddah, told them to do it? I'll tell you, never!

Lets say for discussions sake that there is one true religion that has any enemy being. Now what would this enemy do and how would he go about discrediting the truth of this so called religion?

Autowrench: Lets not say that, because it would be a lie, No religion is the one true path, in fact, all paths lead to the Creators, the ones who made us. It was not the God of the Bible, old or New Testament, because if you actually read the book, you would see that the first God was merciless and cruel, and the second a spoiled child. Annunnaki both, probably Enki and Marduk.

The Christian organization has a lot to pay for, and a big wake up call coming. My advice to any Christian is open your mind, read other books, research things you hear and read about, investigate all of the religions, and you quickly discover they are all based on Egyptian Sun worship. the "Sun" of God, get it? God/Jesus always depicted with the Sun at their head, even the Pope has this emblem on his staff. You religion will not get you into Heaven, any Heaven. there are but two different kids of people on this planet. Those who server others, and those who serve themselves. Wheat, and Chaff. You, dear reader, know exactly which one you are....don't you?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Because it is hand feed nonsense.
Educate yourself.
If the Jesus character was for real, he's one cool dude.

Jesus character thought for himself and outside of the mainstream, follow that example.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bandaidctrl

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." --Ghandi--

Here's simple logic. People are supposed to act like Christ- and they don't. means that they simply don't believe he exists- and if an entire religion is lying, then the entire religion is a LIE.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
There is no easy answer for this, but I agree with one of the posters to say that it's partially generalization and partially not wanting to be held accountable.

The generalization is based on personal exposure and group bias. There's lots of scenarios for this, but most of them are from some type of bad experience. Christian X did you wrong or said something you didn't like or whatever that offended you. From then on you don't like Christians because they must "all be like Christian X". It doesn't have to be just one Christian X, it can be a whole group of them or even a whole denomination or whatever.

My advice: Christians are very, very diverse in their beliefs, behaviors, and lifestyles. Please don't prejudge someone who's part of a group of over a billion people based on experiences with a very small subset of the same group.

The not wanting to be held accountable is a desire for personal freedom. It's perfectly understandable and I get it. I want to do what I want, when I want and I don't want anyone to tell me otherwise or restrict me. When you have some book out there that tells you you're not supposed to do this or that, it's easy to say "screw that nonsense!. Nobody's going to tell me what to do!" and it feels like freedom is won.

My advice: Look at what Jesus actually says. There are very few restrictions based on the words of Jesus. Don't confuse man's commandments with the commandments of Jesus. Freedom is not removed. Freedom is given.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

That is really flawed logic. You're saying that because people don't act like Jesus, they don't believe in Jesus? Where do you get that?

Couldn't they believe in Jesus in every way, but still fall short of His example, some horribly so?

There is no way to come to that conclusion logically.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
So many of us are quick to say xtians force their religious views down the throats of nonbelievers. And what do the nonbelievers do? The same exact thing. They try to discredit religion so they can say 'im right'.

I recently just published an article of rebuttal for an article I stumbled upon called 'why religion is wrong'. It was the same old stuff, 'it causes wars, segregation, hate crimes, etc etc'.

Also, I think it's pertinent to mention that the church IS NOT religion...

I don't have the exact scripture but it states that when u pray/worship u should go to your quiet place. Not to pray/worship in front of the eyes of men so they can say 'this man is righteous'.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Let's use an ATS staple: a UFO 'sighting'.

Person A creates UFO footage, puts it on Youtube. Person A pays persons b-h to jump on the comments section and try to 'convince' people the UFO footage is real. Not a single one of them believes it, but they jump thru hoops to make others believe it- and censor anyone who can prove otherwise. Does this make the fake footage real? NO.

Christianity is the same way- just not as simplified. And for the record, I used to believe... and then I saw enough to convince me completely otherwise that this is just a made up, manmade scam.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Christianity is also one of the most distorted religions. It has been exploited for profit and personal agendas of hate and war.

I believe you have answered your own question.

But there are lots of reasons that it is hated like, it hates every other religion and the nonbelievers, they claim that this is the only way(like pretty much every religion), It is also histories biggest scam and lie, it is contradictory, the god is sadistic and crule(the tales of Abraham and Jobe come to mind), then their's Jesus, while it would rock if he was real, he is a copy of Krishna, Prometheus, ect., and during the time of jesus there were many jesuses, and most of them were crucified.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think a lot of what people take as hostility to Christianity in general is merely hostility to the political aspects of the Christian religious right applied generally.

Same way a lot of the criticism you see aimed at Islam is really aimed at violent Islamists, not ordinary Muslims.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
There is an inherent racism in Nazorean Christianity, tracing some of its venom back to the Rabbi Yeshua who did not cotton on to gentiles very well (being a Galilean, no surprises there !)

Maybe the tone of the Greek words placed into the 'good Rebbe's mouth in the so-called 1st gospel [of 'Matthew' (whoever he was !] in what is now known as chapter 15 has something to do with why Christianty is losing shall we say, its 'universality'---and Saul-Paul (who never even met this Iesous person in the flesh, but only in Dreams and Visions...) is no cure for this major problem either with all of his nonsense about ('The Jew must of course always be First but the Greek must be Second' and other related Zionist B.S.) ...

Read for example (and very closely, since most Churches don't tell you about the Greek of this verse) Matt 15:24-27 (cf. Matt 10:5-6)

'The Son of Man (Aram. 'Bar-Enasha' from Dan 7:13-20) was sent to re-gather ONLY (Gk. Eutheos) the LOST SHEEP of the ELECT of the HOUSE of ISRAEL..and anyway, since when is it right to take the bread out of the mouths of the CHILDREN (i.e. of the Kingdom) and throw it away on the DOGS under the table?'

--R. Yehoshua bar Yosef, the Galilean Nazir

(allegedly spoken --if rather rudely -- or at least with some clumsy Koine Greek placed into the 'good Rebbe's mouth !] to a Syro-Phonecian (=Lebanese) 'gentile' woman who had the nerve to come to him for help and even pandering to his ego by calling him 'Thou Son of David !'

FYI (Gentiles (Heb. 'goyim' i.e. non-Jews) were commonly called DOGS (among other charming epithtes such as IDOLATORS, despite Moses and his Snake on a Pole !) by first century Palestinian Jews--that is, if any of the rabid anti Gentile vomit found in all those Dead Sea Scroll writings which had been safely locked up in 11 Caves since June of AD 68 during the height of the 1st Failed Jewish War against Rome) is anything to go by..nothing like contemporary documents to explain a phrase or two to a clueless 21st century audience who has little or no frame of reference to the original Sitz im Leben for some of these vile sayings.....

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join