Why is Christianity so hated?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Bear with me, this is only my second attempt at a thread. If there is already one like this i didn't find it.
There is more opposition to Christianity than any other religion. It is constantly the brunt of jokes on T.V. and other media sources. People go out of their way to prove Christianity wrong. There is also an anti-Christianity camp atheists can send their kids to to learn why the bible isn't real. It was on Dateline or 20/20 can't remember which.
Christianity is also one of the most distorted religions. It has been exploited for profit and personal agendas of hate and war.
Why not Buddhism or Paganism?
Lets say for discussions sake that there is one true religion that has any enemy being. Now what would this enemy do and how would he go about discrediting the truth of this so called religion?
Wouldn't he try to sow discord amongst the people, dived and conquer?
Wouldn't he use people claiming to belong to this religion to do horrible acts in the name of such religion to discredit it?
Now I am sure I will get plenty of replies like "THERE IS NO GOD!" or "Because you are all fools." But I hope to get some legitimate, and well thought out replies from people on both sides of the fence. I am also open to constructive criticism to help me improve on future threads.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I do believe in some higher power, but I dont believe it really has physical form or gender. I tried to join The Christian church years ago but I did not like how they basically had rules on which to live by otherwise I would be punished. I dont believe in that at all and I dont feel some group should be telling me how to live my life. I dont do anything bad but I get told all the time because of my lifestyle I will go to Hell. Well I dont believe that. Just because someone doesnt agree with my way of life doesnt mean its a bad way to live. I am happy with my life in some ways and unhappy in others, but it is my life and I choose to live this way. I have a hard time with organized religion, I have never felt comfortable in that type of setting. If I want to worship something I will do it from home and on my own terms. My best friend is probably the most religious person I know and it took years for us to actually be able to talk about religion without her mostly getting upset with me because I wouldnt live by the "book." She accepts it now just as I accept her choices. I dont see why people attack all religions honestly, if someone wants to live that way then so be it, it's their choice. I just dont think others should force on those who dont want it.

I will S&F your post, I would like to see what others have to say.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
the main reason i think is most people have thrown off the yoke that was orgainised religion and have come to realise that you dont need a religion to believe in God. Most people in the west was brought up in a christian point of view so it is only natural that christanity gets a butt kicking.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by loner007]

[edit on 17-8-2009 by loner007]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I think a lot of it has to do with the way the Christians themselves show hatred toward anybody different from them. IMHO, I mean did they not burn so called "witches" at the stake just because they would not convert or drive them off their land if they would not convert? They are a hateful and hypocritical religion, they hate gays, they think women should be submissive, Granted not to the degree the Muslims do, but to a degree they do devalue women, they hate anybody who's had an abortion regardless of the circumstances, they hate anybody who beleives in freedom without restraint(I'm talkin sexual freedom, yes), There really isn't too much they are tolerant of. As a matter of fact they will sit and say "Love thy neighbor" and in the same breath pray for that neighbor to lose his home, if he is gay, or a single mother, or a person whos had an abortion...that's hipocracy. At least other religions will just come right out and say we hate you but we'll tolerate you, because you have the right to what you think is living right.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I think it's just because it's the main religion in the West so here people equate "religion" in general with Christianity.

However people who think Islam say is any more tolerant are kidding themselves.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Personally, I don't believe Christianity is hated at all, I do however count myself as one who "hates" the way Christians practice christianity.
As it has been evolving in western civilization, the US specifically, Christianity is a religion of intolerance, seperation and hypocracy.

link   

Originally posted by calstorm
There is more opposition to Christianity than any other religion.

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Muslims and Jews come to mind.

In any case, I believe that if Christians practiced their religion in their homes and churches and stopped trying to bring all the non-Christians into their fold, by preaching and even forcing people to recognize and "respect" their religion, then they might not be so hated. If they weren't pushing their agenda in government and society so strongly, and with such arrogance and righteousness, I think other people would back off considerably. In other words, I think Christians have brought most of the hatred on themselves.

I'm not saying all Christians are arrogant or anything, but there's definitely a movement to "save the world". And it's arrogant to think that people who aren't Christians need saving. I know it's inborn in the religion (conveniently) but that's probably the singly biggest reason people have a problem with Christianity.

I am also open to constructive criticism to help me improve on future threads.

This is a good thread.
You might want to put a space between your paragraphs for easier reading, but the content is good, IMO.

link   
Christianity does not exist. Well, it doesn't exist in the institutionalized form we see today. There are still a few remnants of Chrisitanity among individuals, but the overall theme of it in institutional form is deeply rooted in paganism and/or new age. The institution of Christianity is a joke! Even some of those who call themselves fundamentalist are still wrapped up in the institution.

Christianity was never meant to be a religion. It was meant to be a way of life. Christians were supposed to show the love of Christ. It is their lives and the example of how they live that was supposed to bring mankind to repantance for their deeds; not words.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by uaocteaou
Personally, I don't believe Christianity is hated at all, I do however count myself as one who "hates" the way Christians practice christianity.
As it has been evolving in western civilization, the US specifically, Christianity is a religion of intolerance, seperation and hypocracy.

Just wondering, but where are you from?

Americans aren't really that bigoted. I mean we have our share, but i mean, most Americans actually support affirmative action. being a racist in America is the worst thing you can be besides a child molester.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Those are some very respectable view points, but one has to ask, are the haters really even Christians at all?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Absolutely I equate them together two sides of the same coin...christianity/muslim/islam...but the eastern(Asian) religions are very much more tolerant like buddhism, taoism, hinduism isn't too bad, it could use some work, because they still devalue women also, make them subservant, etc. At least they don't attackothers and kill them like Islam/christian religions have.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
indeed, because they are a hypocrite religion,
just as a big part from islam.

but they were intended to be like that,
because in their religions is hidden
the reason of history.

without the hate it was impossible to build gods paradox,
everything has a reason.

Not everything is how it looks like,
there are a lot of good christians
even when they hate everyone.

Its because everyone is always justified until
they learn to enlarge the previous beliefsystems,

it not from where you come
it to where you are going.

If you believe in god, but not in hypocrisy,
then you know there is a reason,
with trust you can discover that reason.

The christian church is the one who will react
together with islam the hardest
on the prophets of the times to come now
because they are stuck in history
instead of understanding history as a mirror of right now
a shadow

they are structures part of the paradox,
people are free to move between those borders,
but not more then that.
destiny is the big structure
choice is between borders that were appointed.

but it was planned to be like this,
otherwise god wouldnt be righteousness

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Absolutely I equate them together two sides of the same coin...christianity/muslim/islam...but the eastern(Asian) religions are very much more tolerant like buddhism, taoism, hinduism isn't too bad, it could use some work, because they still devalue women also, make them subservant, etc. At least they don't attackothers and kill them like Islam/christian religions have.

i agree on the eastern religions too. in fact it's debatable whether eastern religions are religions at all or just spirituality, though Buddhism has some dogma attached to it (ie the Dalai Lama).

i think the "sky-father" religions also devalue men in a way as well, as they deny men the ability to express their emotions, especially towards other men and their children. it's not ONLY women they oppress.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I'm from the US bro-

I'm actually surprised that you took my statements as being anti-american or something. I was exclusively speaking of christianity, american-style christianity to be precise.

I have traveled and lived abroad extensively however, and believe that I have observed stark differences in the way christianity is practiced in America as opposed to other places in the world.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by uaocteaou

I'm from the US bro-

I'm actually surprised that you took my statements as being anti-american or something. I was exclusively speaking of christianity, american-style christianity to be precise.

I have traveled and lived abroad extensively however, and believe that I have observed stark differences in the way christianity is practiced in America as opposed to other places in the world.

ah okay sorry man.

no i totally agree - actually i would consider being Christian if it weren't for the whole Hell thing ...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
In my humble opinion, I believe Christianity is hated or dis-liked so much because of what the media puts out there. TV, Radio, Music, and News. Everything is based on a secular society. Anti-God, in a nutshell.

The main reason why it is hated:
We don't need a God, we can rely on ourselves
Why should I believe in something that holds me accountable for my actions?

No one wants to be held accountable for anything they've done in their lives. Thats the problem with modern Christianity.
ITS NOT A CRUTCH

The institutions have made it that way.

In my humble opinion, of course. But, then again, who says I'm right?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Ok, fair enough, so lets pretend the followers actually followed the fundamentals of Christianity perfectly. Or we could take them out of the equation entirely. What about the fundamentals that Christianity is based on?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I guess I should say this again for clarification.....

I believe that "hatred" you feel, or believe you see is more directed at the practice, not the product in and of itself.

*sorry* edited for awful speiling.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by uaocteaou]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Well i see it like this. I am Christian, but i dont agree with some things in the church. I go with the bible, and what it says. I think that people hate or dislike Christianity because it does put limits on what one can do. However i dont see a problem with those limits because it only makes you a better person of good moral character. "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". That says if you dont believe in Jesus then you go to Hell. People reject it because they are directly being told what to do. However with your spirit on the line for either eternal suffering or eternal happiness, what would you do.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Originally posted by ldyserenity

i agree on the eastern religions too. in fact it's debatable whether eastern religions are religions at all or just spirituality, though Buddhism has some dogma attached to it (ie the Dalai Lama).

i think the "sky-father" religions also devalue men in a way as well, as they deny men the ability to express their emotions, especially towards other men and their children. it's not ONLY women they oppress.

That's a good point!
I never even thought of that. Although I don't know what "sky father" religions are, but a lot of religions do teach men they have to be strong, show no emotion, and such!

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join

ATS Live Reality Remix is on-air in 13 minutes.
ATS Live Radio Presents - Reality Remix Live SE6 EP6

atslive.com

hi-def

low-def