It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Cities found under the ocean in India

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Maybe they were not flooded out by a slow 1-cm sea rise per year. With a little fudging of dates... maybe the city was suddenly flooded by the sea rise resulting from the comet striking the glacier-covered Canada 'around' 12,900 years ago. Here is article link:

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
if someone's panties are untwisted can we move along with the topic now?

thanks a million

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moodle
if someone's panties are untwisted can we move along with the topic now?

thanks a million

The present discussion is very relevant to the topic.

In order for there to be the possibility of structures at this location there had to have been a period where humans had to have built them. This means dry land in the area of discussion. If you feel this is off topic please feel free to push the little "Alert" Button at the bottom of the post that you feel is off topic I'm sure a MOD will assist you in any manor they can.

Thanks.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Not a valid argument. You are talking about widely separate locations. The "primitive" cultures are pockets isolated by geography and/or the wishes of the tribes.

In the case of Cambay City you are inverting the situation, a single city "surrounded" by neolithic settlements.

[edit on 8/17/2009 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It appears that Hancock and whoever else have been hearing hoofbeats and thinking zebras again. There's a wish to find some 'antidiluvial' lost civilization for two reasons...Hancock has built his great reputation on it and some Hindu movements (Cremo anyone?) require evidence that their own creation myths are true. It's a different tune, but the same old record.

Years ago the remains of a tidal lock was discovered in the Bay of Cambay. It's provisionally dated to around 2000BC and falls well within accepted time frames. It's attributed to the Harrapan civilization because they were there at the time!

Although the discovery has not yet been accurately dated, the structures are said to resemble archeological sites belonging to the Harappan civilisation, dating back more than 4,000 years. This is the first time man-made structures have been found in this part of the Arabian Sea which is known as the Gulf of Cambay.
Indian seabed hides ancient remains

There's a good article on the history of this site and similar in the area...Marine Archaeology Vol 1 1990

Hancock, eh? He'll be trying to say the Egyptians didn't build pyramids next! To add a few more thousand years to the period of the Cambay artifacts and ruins, he'll need to explain why they can't be Harrapan civilization. None of which means, as usual, that it can't be a mysterious pre-Flood civilization it just means that it's probably what it looks like.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

200+ miles away?

Again I'm not making any claims, more along the lines of throwing questions out there to hear opinions. I'm not a big fan of Handcock but he does raise some rather interesting speculations. I never said a vast civilization or even a large city. But a slightly more advanced culture that was megalithic which would not be that large of a gap technologically speaking from cave art. Grant you not as drastic of a comparison as I gave you.

I'm not a believer in Atlantis. In fact I think the whole island is completely a myth. I however do think that some hints of a real lost past are given in the dialogue. Hints that describe what had been told in stories/myths passed down through successive generations.

There is an interesting part in the dialogue that seems to be always overlooked by many. It explains why there is a large gap in social/technological development between "The sunken" and the survivors. Also in it it describes the oceans "Rising" from below not the land "Sinking"

When, on the other hand, the gods purge the earth with a deluge of water, the survivors in your country are herdsmen and shepherds who dwell on the mountains, but those who, like you, live in cities are carried by the rivers into the sea. Whereas in this land, neither then nor at any other time, does the water come down from above on the fields, having always a tendency to come up from below; for which reason the traditions preserved here are the most ancient.

The fact is, that wherever the extremity of winter frost or of summer does not prevent, mankind exist, sometimes in greater, sometimes in lesser numbers. And whatever happened either in your country or in ours, or in any other region of which we are informed-if there were any actions noble or great or in any other way remarkable, they have all been written down by us of old, and are preserved in our temples.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Just throwing this out there......

People thought Troy was a myth, until it was discovered in the late 19th century.

Just a thought, I now bow out to let the debate rage on.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I wonder if that meant that those along the seaboard were killed by the tidal waters, much like what happened in Louisiana?

Sorry to but in here, yet I had never considered the great flood to have been from the back flow.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Troy was a single city among many.
This would be a single city, among none. Far, far ahead of its time. A city more than 5 times larger than Uruk.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I know it's only wikipedia, but worth reading up on what it has to say on this discovery before we go too far

en.wikipedia.org...

btw as for Troy - Alexander the Great visited the site. We just forgot where it was.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

You rang?

Ancient City Discovered in India
Sisupalgarh, India near Bhubaneswar - Ancient City Discovered in India - BBC News

RK Mohanty of the department of archaeology, Deccan College, Pune, who is one of the two researchers involved in the excavations.

"The significance of this ancient city becomes clear when one bears in mind the fact that the population of classical Athens was barely 10,000," he said.

Mr Mohanty, along with Monica Smith of the Cotsen Institute of Archaeology, University of California, has been carrying out limited excavations at the site every year since 2005 with the permission of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).

The latest round of excavations ended last Monday and the new discoveries have been covered with special plastic material and earth to preserve them before further digging is taken up in subsequent years.

The first excavations at the site were carried out by Prof BB Lal as far back as in 1948.

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.thelivingmoon.com...

RELATED INTERNET LINKS

* Tsunami throws up India relics - 11 Feb 05 -South Asia
news.bbc.co.uk...

* Lost city found off Indian coast - 11 Apr 02 - South Asia
news.bbc.co.uk...

* Lost city 'could rewrite history' - 19 Jan 02 - South Asia
news.bbc.co.uk...

* Indian seabed hides ancient remains - 22 May 01 - South Asia
news.bbc.co.uk...

* Archaeologists probe legendary city - 19 Oct 00 - Europe
news.bbc.co.uk...

Rajasthan, India near Jodhpur - Irradiated By Nuclear Blast 8,000 Years Ago - Sacred Texts

Radiation still so intense, the area is highly dangerous...
A heavy layer of radioactive ash in Rajasthan, India, covers a three-square mile area, ten miles west of Jodhpur. Scientists are investigating the site, where a housing development was being built.

For some time it has been established that there is a very high rate of birth defects and cancer in the area under construction. The levels of radiation there have registered so high on investigators' gauges that the Indian government has now cordoned off the region. Scientists have unearthed an ancient city where evidence shows an atomic blast dating back thousands of years, from 8,000 to 12,000 years, destroyed most of the buildings and probably a half-million people. One researcher estimates that the nuclear bomb used was about the size of the ones dropped on Japan in 1945.

The Mahabharata clearly describes a catastrophic blast that rocked the continent.
"A single projectile charged with all the power in the Universe...An incandescent column of smoke and flame as bright as 10,000 suns, rose in all its splendor...it was an unknown weapon, an iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death which reduced to ashes an entire race.

"The corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. Their hair and nails fell out, pottery broke without any apparent cause, and the birds turned white.

"After a few hours, all foodstuffs were infected. To escape from this fire, the soldiers threw themselves into the river."

www.thelivingmoon.com...

www.sacred-texts.com...

www.stephen-knapp.com...

Description from the Mahabharata

Gurkha, flying a swift and powerful vimana hurled a single projectile
Charged with all the power of the Universe.
An incandescent column of smoke and flame
As bright as the thousand suns
Rose in all its splendour...
a perpendicular explosion
with its billowing smoke clouds...
...the cloud of smoke
rising after its first explosion
formed into expanding round circles
like the opening of giant parasols...
..it was an unknown weapon,
An iron thunderbolt,
A gigantic messenger of death,
Which reduced to ashes
The entire race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas.
...The corpses were so burned
As to be unrecognizable.
The hair and nails fell out;
Pottery broke without apparent cause,
And the birds turned white.
After a few hours
All foodstuffs were infected...
...to escape from this fire
The soldiers threw themselves in streams
To wash themselves and their equipment.

Ancient verses from the Mahabharata: (6500 B.C.?)

1950's Book Title on the Atomic Era

"Brighter Than a Thousand Suns: A Personal History of the Atomic Scientists"

Dwaraka: Sri Krishna's City - legendary Dwaraka of Sri Krishna

www.thelivingmoon.com...

www.thelivingmoon.com...

s8int.com...

The Remains of Dwaraka:
"The Hindu" --January 19, 1987

Sir,--This refers to the report “Dwaraka expedition finds more remains” reported from Panaji (The Hindu, Jan.1) about the wonders revealed by the fifth archaeological under water excavation recently.

More than a decade back, a very old, small temple within a big temple, believed to be the original “Krishna temple” was unearthed 20 to 30 feet deep, not far off from the location of the present one, by the first surface excavation of the Archaeological Department.

Again, in early 1985, the fourth under-water excavation discovered two submerged sea walls, 20 to 30 feet below the sea-bed a few metres apart—also reported in The Hindu, the same year (1985), how the old Dwaraka Port, once the “gateway” of ancient India, was submerged four to five thousand years ago, was scientifically explained by Mr. C.S. Mahadevan of Madras vide The Hindu, February 21, 1985. Dwaraka was partially submerged according to him in 3031 B.C..

Later in 2700 BC, not only the remaining portion of Dwaraka but even the remaining portion of Lanka, Ravana’s kingdom got submerged in a cataclysm. This explanation is supported by the scientific reasons advanced by him. Due to the tilting of the axis of the earth, generally some of the islands throughout the world submerged.

The submerging of islands is more near the equator up to 30’ North or South latitude. So what happened in 3031 BC and 2700 BC and earlier in 12000 BC was due to this tilting of the earth.

This revelation by Mr. Mahadevan’s letter (The Hindu, Feb. 21, 1985) made interesting reading about Dwaraka once ruled by Lord Krishna who was born on July 26, 3112 BC according to him.

N. Bose, Madras

s8int.com...

Sorry that's all I have right now... India is on my 'work to be done' shelf...

But this ought to give the Phageites a workout

So Phage, you seem to 'indicate' you have done research on this... why not share that instead of being top dog debunker all the time

[edit on 17-8-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I don't know....

We always hear the saying that in all myths there is a tiny kernel of truth. I remember the ancient Indian myth about how one of their Gods built Rama's bridge or the ancient traditions of India itself . . . explain that Manu and the Seven Sages retreated to the Himalayas from a place that was not the Himalayas at the time of a terrible oceanic flood, and that they brought with them from their antediluvian homeland not only the Vedas but also all the 'seeds' that would be necessary to re-establish permanent food-producing settlements.

Whether this land bridge is man made or just the top of a low lying mountain ridge that was eventually covered by the rising oceans makes no difference to me. But what is surprising is that they knew about it and it wasn't until NASA was able to show it that the myths genesis was revealed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/29166636e40d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d61a05b5bcf5.jpg[/atsimg]

Remember in these following Google Earth images the light blue area was dry habitable land above ocean level during the ice age.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1aa261ad73a3.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46e19dcc2ef3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon thanks for that excellent post and helping me out on the research, for an idea I am working on fictionally.

You rock!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Though allegedly large (but much smaller than "Cambay City" is claimed to be), Sisupalgarh is not all that ancient in comparison to other sites in India.

“The civilisation could have lasted for more than 1,000 years between 3rd BC and 3rd AD,” he said.

www.hindu.com...

The artifacts revealed by the tsunami are even more recent.

Archaeologists say that the stone remains date back to 7th Century AD and are nearly 6ft tall.

news.bbc.co.uk...

What does a Greek city have to do with the "City of Cambay"?

I haven't provided the sources of my research because there really is only one. Graham Hancock. The "report" from the "chief geologist of NIOT" is found on Hancock's site. I have not been able to verify that Badrinaryan Badrinaryan is, or was the chief geologist. I have been unable to find any other work by Badrinaryan Badrinaryan. There is of course the Wikipedia entry, but the only references it provides on the pro side are...Hancock.

Speaking of sources, can you provide the original one for the story about the radioactive ash?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Great effort on the links, thankyou!!!

This one;

news.bbc.co.uk...

has a pic of pottery with inscriptions that appear to be

similar to ancient hebrew! I'd love to see more pieces of

the pottery. [ wouldn't THAT be a kick if it were !!! ]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I'm not sure what mythology has to do with this particular discussion but one of the Hawaiian legends of the demigod Maui says that the sky was once so low that people could not stand up. Maui raised the sky. Another says that the sun once moved across the sky so quickly that Maui's mother could not dry her tapa cloth. Maui climbed to the top of Haleakala, captured the sun, and convinced it to slow down.

While some legends may be based on some "truth" the fact is that most of them are based nothing more than tall tales. There is also a Maui legend about how he and his brothers went fishing one day and ended up nearly catching an enormous fish (it got away). This fish was so huge that as it came to the surface it released the islands that it had been holding under under the surface (the Hawaiian Islands). Sure, this could be loosely interpreted to be the emergence of the volcanic islands from the ocean (see, the Hawaiians knew what happened millions of years ago! Except the islands did not appear at the same time) but it could also be nothing more than a fishing tale that grew in the telling.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I'm not sure what mythology has to do with this particular discussion but

So the city of Dwarka being mentioned in Vedic scriptures then being discovered to exist is not relevant to the discussion?

Hmmm

Well we each have our own methods for seeking answers :shk:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by toasted

Are you sure that pottery is from the site we are talking about and not just an example of ancient pottery? As far as I know, no confirmed pottery has been retrieved.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

How is Dwarka relevant either? It wasn't really any more "lost" than Troy was. The evidence shows there was trade between Dwarka and the Roman Empire.

Is a city in what is now the Gulf of Cambay mentioned somewhere in Indian mythology?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I'm not sure what mythology has to do with this particular discussion but one of the Hawaiian legends of the demigod Maui says that the sky was once so low that people could not stand up. Maui raised the sky. Another says that the sun once moved across the sky so quickly that Maui's mother could not dry her tapa cloth. Maui climbed to the top of Haleakala, captured the sun, and convinced it to slow down.

While some legends may be based on some "truth" the fact is that most of them are based nothing more than tall tales.

As mentioned by Zorgon about the myths surrounding the city of Dwarka.

Myths are sometimes the stylized retelling of actual events. I'll discuss Hawaii in that thread I mentioned earlier that I'm working on. This thread is about India and how in their Myths they mention many things that has taken time and science to finally reveal that they are based in part on fact.

I agree many myths are meant as fanciful entertainment but many are not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join