It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

poison plant treatment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
hey guys

wondering what kind of tretments you have for poison plants. interested mainly in poison ivy/oak but open to other plants aswell. preferebly at home treatments with readily available materials.

thanks

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
First, do not immediately start washing the areas. The poison is oil based and you may just end up spreading it. You should first clean the areas with rubbing alcohol.

Now you will want to wash with water only.

Then you will want to take a warm shower with soap. Laundry soap works well for treating poison ivy, but only if it is done quickly, like within five minutes or so.

Severe cases can cause watery blistering and swelling, particularly if it is on the face area. Severe cases may require a visit to the doctor, and have been known to even be fatal in some some children.

It is pretty nasty stuff, and the toxin in it is called "Urushiol", which is a toxic type of oil.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Calamine lotion works to dry up any blisters and helps protect the skin. I've used that on poison ivy. I would also try carbon. Maybe ashes? I have heard carbon is used to counter act poisons.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by cloakndagger]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Also, if you are any good at spotting Medicinal Plants, you can use some of the following plants to help soothe poison ivy

Jewelweed: Rub crushed stems and leaves on the effected area.
Thistle: A strong topical tea for washing poison ivy
Smooth Sumac: Rub a poultice (a paste made by crushing the leaves and adding some water) on the effected area to soothe poison ivy/oak
Oak: Boil acorns to produce a wash that will not only help relieve skin iritation, but it can also be used to stop bleeding

Gotta love nature.

new topics

top topics

join