It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swimmers are told to wear burkinis

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jon1

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by jon1

this is just another group that require the pool for thier own pleasure activities.

A group that wants to force all that use the pool at the same time, to follow their religious customs.

Big problem.

Just as not having a canoe or a set of diving gear would be a problem also.

Where is the religious element with a canoe? See the diff?

reply to post by Woland

It is that simple, but no, you have to use it have a go because people have different beliefs to you.

Exactly. Keep your religion private. It has no place in the public arena.

Originally posted by audas
This thread still very much appears to be chock full of straight out racism - no other way to call it (by any civil standard) - ATS has clearly taken the mantle of the world wide web home of extremist racism - moderators and owners should be proud of their contribution to society -

Excuse me - what "race" are muslims?

This is a case of your religion feigning (pretending) offense at seeing human skin that is not even genitalia. That is a 5th century attitude, imo. You need to join the civilized world if you want to live among them.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I want to state that if a group of muslims were to reserve a swimming pool for a special ceremony, such as their equivalent of a baptism (if one exists) or whatever, then I would agree with their stance on requiring a dress code.

But that is a special circumstance. For them to try to impose their religious views on the general public is wrong.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
i will never get why people get so worked up over nothing. So what, a pool has decided to set aside a 1.5hour block during the day for for people who wish to swim without seeing a bunch of flesh around them. This hurts people how? If like minded people weren't allowed to do things together, that would be more of a problem in my opinion. If the swimming pool had a block dedicated to people who swam naked would this be such a big deal?

So whats the deal, do folks not like the fact that like minded people can get together and enjoy each others company? Or do folks just not like the idea that it's associated with muslims?

Remember folks, Deny Ignorance.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by St Vaast

Therefore, NO-ONE is going to make you wear Muslim dress to swimming pools IF you attend the NON-muslim sessions, ok?

So you're ok with Muslims being barred from wearing that dress during non-Muslim hours? Or are people still forced to swim with people wearing full body burkas?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yet more insanity from Englandistan, it's pretty much a daily thing of late.

Of course the apologists will say it's only selective swimming pools that are affected, or it's only during certain hours of the day, but this is how it all starts.

The British are pandering to a religion that knows no form of concession. Islam does not bend to your culture, you must bend to meet its requirements.

What a godawful place that country has turned into. That classic British trait of tolerance now just comes across as being spineless.

Hilarious how some here think it's a huge BNP plot though, that really is

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

First off that is a great avatar of the Geico caveman playing cowbell.

Immigrants are supposed to change to fit into their new country. Their new country should not change to accommodate them.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

No, I don't see the difference. They're both two groups of people that have different requirements when using a pool. If you can't be objective, you become prejudice, and that is exactly what you appear to have become.

reply to post by Woland

It is that simple, but no, you have to use it have a go because people have different beliefs to you.

Exactly. Keep your religion private. It has no place in the public arena.

I did not say that. If anything, I said keep your religious bigotry private. I keep seeing tit for tat comments on here "Well Muslim countries wouldn't let us do that". This isn't a playground and tit for tat only leads to conflict.

This is a case of your religion feigning (pretending) offense at seeing human skin that is not even genitalia. That is a 5th century attitude, imo. You need to join the civilized world if you want to live among them.

I'll tell you what else is great about the "civilised world". We exhibit and revere tolerance and acceptance. The people that use the swimming time that allows Muslims to feel at ease are tax paying subjects of England, thus they should have a voice and, providing it doesn't conflict with law, be allowed certain concessions.

Disabled parking isn't some divine right, we want to be able offer those that have handicaps a concession so their lives are that bit easier.

Your posts on Muslims seek to provoke an emotional, yet often illogical, chorus of bigoted horror and it's not befitting of this site.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
A star and a flag for you. What is going on? In the UK it's the Muslems and in the US it's everyone else...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Woland
Disabled parking isn't some divine right, we want to be able offer those that have handicaps a concession so their lives are that bit easier.

So muslims are disabled.

Got it.

I find the entire shambles insanely funny - people so offended by the very country they migrate to... And no one see's the irony in it.

Might aswell wave banners on arrival - "We don't hate you, we just find your culture, way of life and immoral western lifestyle completely offensive. Please, in the name of tolerance, understand us!"

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I politely ask you to elaborate on why my statement was 'ridiculous'?

Can you possibly point out other religious groups getting special swimming times??

Not sure about other religious groups, but here in my home town in Canada, there are numerous public pools that have several special swim times, one of them being a nude time when the local naturist group swim, and if you want to go swim then, you have to be nude.

I don't see a problem.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Can you possibly point out other religious groups getting special swimming times??

Unfortunately there are none.
And I think that's a point that needs to be made.

I'm not muslim nor do I agree about everything regarding islam, but let's be clear here.

There are two ends to all spectrums, women being forced to wear burqas is extremism but isnt' let's say music videos with almost naked well proportional women dancing everytime you watch MTV or having PARENTS buy their 16yr old daughters breasts implants also another form of extremism?

Sure, if there was a group to enforce more christian attire it might or might not be in a swimming pool, but you don't find such people anywhere.

Look at the society we are going towards, can't even walk your kids on the sidewalk downtown without passing by naked women pictures for strip clubs.

Maybe it shouldn't be a religious group doing this too, fine.
But the point is that NOBODY is doing it!

There two ends to every spectrum.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

So muslims are disabled.

Got it.

I find the entire shambles insanely funny - people so offended by the very country they migrate to... And no one see's the irony in it.

Might aswell wave banners on arrival - "We don't hate you, we just find your culture, way of life and immoral western lifestyle completely offensive. Please, in the name of tolerance, understand us!"

LOL LOL LOL....you are correct Ha`la`tha. Well said. Well said.

The obvious solution in these countrys is for the Government to build the Muslims thier own pool...at public expense of course. Then hire people to maintain it for them at public expense as well. This is logical and reasonable. Makes political sense to me.

Indeed...people are offended by the very country to which they have migrated...except for the government doles or giveaways...they are not offended by that. That too is ironic to the max.
I agree with some of the other posters..the politicians dont care as long as they can use/misuse these people for votes to maintain power and office.

In process of time they sell the very soul of a nation for lucre. It puts ointment on the feelings of people who see it as fairness right now on the public purse.....but dont see what is coming down the road.

This is exactly what is happening in the USA and will only wax worse. We will be following the template of the UK and Austraila. We will lose our souls and nation to a religion which is not ours. To a religion which demands tolerance from others but gives none..ironic once again.

Your point about irony is valid and has merit. We must practice seperation of church and state...someone else does not. Irony???

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
The obvious solution in these countrys is for the Government to build the Muslims thier own pool...at public expense of course. Then hire people to maintain it for them at public expense as well.

So tell me, what does the large majority of taxpayer money go towards now?
Wars, Lobbying, Murder, Genocide, propping up puppet govts, torture etc..

But build a pool for a specific community? OH NOOOOOO

the politicians dont care as long as they can use/misuse these people for votes to maintain power and office.

So politicians care about their voters now?
lol... seriously?????

This is exactly what is happening in the USA and will only wax worse. We will be following the template of the UK and Austraila. We will lose our souls and nation to a religion which is not ours. To a religion which demands tolerance from others but gives none..ironic once again.

Does christianity demand tolerance from themselves but gives out alot?

USA is already on the other side of extremism which you have hate for.
How can you condemn one but not the other?

You guys are really making a big deal out of nothing.
Nobody if forcing you to swin at specific hours.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Woland

No, I don't see the difference. They're both two groups of people that have different requirements when using a pool. If you can't be objective, you become prejudice, and that is exactly what you appear to have become.

What a silly comparison.

And you'd better tone it down with your categorizations about me, sir. You are treading very close to trolling.

Your posts on Muslims seek to provoke an emotional, yet often illogical, chorus of bigoted horror and it's not befitting of this site.

Again with the trolling comments.

Your entire argument is based upon imposing a religious belief in the public sector. Can't happen; keep your religous beliefs private, please.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Even though its only for 1.5 hours a week the principle matters. We should respect the RIGHT of anyone to chose which religion they, however we do not have to respect the religion itself, otherwise debate will be stifled.

No other religion is like Islam in seeming to be so demanding that countries adapt to it rather than the other way round. If I was in Saudi Arabia I would not walk around shirtless, likewise in Britain swimming trunks are ok to be worn. Muslims in Britain should accept there are different customs here, if they don't like it then leave!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chilled Zen
Muslims in Britain should accept there are different customs here, if they don't like it then leave!

I think they did accept it, that's why it's only during a specific small small timeslot. If you don't like it, swin during other hours.
Simple!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

I wish I could be certain all they require is "tolerance". What worries me is the hidden agenda. Fear, I admit it. I fear what they've done, and I fear what they might do. I can't help it. I seriously think I am traumatized due to certain events occurring on September 11, 2001. Also, I've seen multiple photo's of their protests in London, holding signs that say "death to the UK; death to America". It scares me. And then reading this thread about certain goings-on in Australia.

I know it might be irrational. I have little "talks" with myself about it.

But, when push comes to shove, I'm scared of them. If anybody can help me, if this fear is truely irrational, then please try. I don't want to be fearful, and I sure as hell don't want to be a prisoner of fear.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Absoloutley ridiculous, it feels like segregation, but by religious customs.

I will not have my girlfriend in a one peice swim suit..
BLASPHEMY!

In other words, why do 'they' get special hours, what is the UK coming to?

[edit on 17-8-2009 by Psychonaughty]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashnomadonte
reply to post by St Vaast

T&C won't let me post the entire article so I am sorry for that still why should they have separate times? It is ridiculous.

Really not much different then the concept of "Adult swim".

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

What the hell is the matter with these people?

You live in a democratic society to get along not to be seperated!!

This is when i feel like saying 'go back to your own country then' if you don't like it here and you want your seperate ways then go home.....

If i was Prime Minister i'd tell them all to comply with our way of living or go home......

What will they want next? I really seriously hope that this is some joke....

Total utter BS

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join