It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Incredible Natural Phenomena you've never seen

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by chillpill

Dogs are not full carnivores, cats are, cat's teeth are not as multi-purpose as dog's teeth, and much less than our own really multi-purpose teeth (if we do not spoil them with too much sweets
)

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Great post! The Starlins are interesting because I actually witnessed such a formation a few years ago on the way back from Scotland, was quite amazing to watch.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Gotta disgree with ya - if cats eat too much meat it can damage their kidneys...Corky (an old cat of mine) was a case in point.

If you look at any cat forum it's inundated with people who say their cats enjoy "unusual" things such as canteloupe, corn, grapes, etc. But they can't understand why it should, because according to the text books...it's a carnivore...

If a cat decides it wants to eat veg, then are we saying it shouldn't be allowed because we have deemed it to be a carnivore only?

Cast aside your paradigm, friend! Cat's will eat what they wanna eat. The more foods you introduce to them when they are young, the more they will expand their tastes.

Mesh them in the carnivore garb they are meant to wear, and they will become finicky eaters who turn their nose up at things they are not used to and reinforcing a mildly misguided belief.

But this is not a discussion about cats being carnivores - it's about the wonders of the world..so am not going to divert attention any further!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Steilhe

Excellent post, thank you very much!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
S&F. I really enjoyed reading that and seeing the pictures. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Excellent post, never heard of any of these before, the never ending storm is cool.

You learn something new everyday.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Nice! I saw this a while back on that site. Oddee.com has some really cool and interesting stuff on there. The ones I enjoy most are posts about our own planet and the natural phenomena that occurs here. We have a beautiful planet
we should start taking c care of it before it kicks us out! S&F!!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Here are two more for you.

Synchronous Fireflies

Synchronous fireflies (Photinus carolinus) are one of 14 species of fireflies that live in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. They are the only species in America whose individuals can synchronize their flashing light patterns.

&

Moonbow

MoonBow is a rainbow produced by light reflected off the surface of the moon rather than from direct sunlight. Few places in the world frequently feature this phenomenon. Cumberland Falls[2], near Williamsburg, Kentucky, U.S.A.; Waimea, Hawaii, U.S.A.; Trans-Ili Alatau, Kazakhstan; upper and lower Yosemite falls and Victoria Falls on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe are widely known for moonbow occurrence.

I live near both of these is how come I've heard of them. You can add these to the first post if you want. I think they are worthy.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

This is not my video, but I did see these when I was in Malawi a few years back.

Basically huge swarms of flies emerge from Lake Malawi (there are clouds of them) and the locals head out and catch them and make them into cakes...

It's another under-appreciated wonder. Get to 1.24 mins to go "wow"

I did not try the cake...

[edit on 17-8-2009 by chillpill]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Venezuela's Everlasting Storm is definately on my list of places to visit before I die!!!

And the starling malarkey, we see it every year in East Yorkshire!
It does look cool though.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Thank you for this thread!

What a refreshing way to start a Monday morning.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
i am a blind fool
lol

great post,
thanks for the pics

[edit on 8/17/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by phi1618
that sadly doesnt count. Corn off the cob is a far rarer occurrence. Science has yet to explain this phenomenon

My cat will eat pringles... She got hold of a small bit and literally once she popped she could not stop!!! - I know they are not good for her, and she only likes the cheese and chive ones or maybe the original flavour, She will happily munch down 3 or 4 before I stop her.

Funniest thing ever though was when she licked a toad
foaming and eyes streaming - trying to get the taste out of her mouth!

I love seeing the starlings when they flock like that - reminds me of swarm intelligence - and I actually think when we do find intelligence out in the universe - swarm minds will be quite common.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Volton

Would you settle for a cat that catches and eats peanuts? i have one of those.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Wow.

Logged in just to S&F this one.

Hope more people post more wonderful stuff. Makes me happy, neutralizes the crappy stuff.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
- I Think These Things That Go On In This World Are Quite Amazing, Its A Shame That Most Just Insist On Destroying It XD

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by chillpill
Thanks for these - great post to brighten up a monday morning.

I love the corn-eating cat, but I miss your potatoes avatar.

As to why animals eat thing outside the paradigm we impose on them - I think that we automatically assume animals wont eat stuff...

My two dogs will eat pretty much everything and the girl will only stand still for grooming of we feed her fresh strawberries..

The dogs love carrots, turnip, swedes....raw potatoes...we have to stop them from stealing things out the garden. They nibble at the raspberry bush.

I love the goats too.

im trying to incorporated the potatoes avatar into my current

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I think this should be added to the list

Death Valley Moving Rocks

The sailing stones (sliding rocks, moving rocks) are a geological phenomenon where rocks move in long tracks along a smooth valley floor without human or animal intervention. They have been recorded and studied in a number of playas around Racetrack Playa, Death Valley, where the number and length of travel grooves are notable. The force behind their movement is not understood and is subject to research.

Racetrack stones only move every two or three years and most tracks develop over three or four years. Stones with rough bottoms leave straight striated tracks while those with smooth bottoms wander. Stones sometimes turn over, exposing another edge to the ground and leaving a different track in the stone's wake.

Sliding rock trails fluctuate in direction and length. Some rocks which start next to each other start out travelling parallel, but one may abruptly change direction to the left, right, or even back the direction it came from. Length also varies because two similarly size and shaped rocks could travel uniform, then one could burst ahead or stop dead in its track.

Speed is an unknown variable. Since these stones are rarely transported and nobody has witnessed the movement, the speeds the rocks travel at are not known.

Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2830a37ac988.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 17-8-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Very nice thread! Hail to the following mysteries! S&F

BTW! The "Black sun" event or the "den sorte fuglesolen"(DK) is an event which atleast was orchestrated in these parts of Europe last fall.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by m4ng4n]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Simply fantastic thread!

I had heard of none of these apart from the last phenomenen which I havent been lucky enough to see in real life yet.

There's nothing else to say but S & F

Nice work

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join