It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duplicate SS numbers given by "accident" in Micronesia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Duplicate SS numbers given by "accident" in Micronesia

news.yahoo.com...

CONCORD, N.H. – When Tropical Storm Chata'an struck the Federated States of Micronesia in 2002, the U.S. government sent 1,300 blankets, 4,000 disposable diapers, 30 cases of sardines — and my Social Security number.

The nine digits that govern so much of Americans' identities are supposed to be ours for life — and only ours. But mine ended up linked to a Micronesian man who defaulted on a disaster loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration.

I didn't find out until March, in a letter from a debt collect
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Who is giving away American Social Security numbers to strangers in other lands? The answer is not so simple.

The problem involves three Pacific island nations, each of which has its own, independent Social Security Administration. The three — the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands and the Republic of Palau — grant defense rights in the region to the U.S., and in exchange receive aid, including grants and loans after disasters.

For instance, the Federal Emergency Management Agency sent $20 million to 9,700 people in the Federated States of Micronesia after the 2002 storm. The three countries together have received USDA housing grants and loans worth $33 million since 2000.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Topic already covered here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Please add to existing discussion

Here

Closed.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
nm