It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were venus and mars once very much like Earth? And if so... what happened?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The more I research about other planets and their similarities of earth, the more I have to question if life did in fact once exist on those planets. Mars and Venus seem to have, at some point, been very similar to earth in climate and geography... but something obviously happened at some point to drastically change both planets.

If there was life on other planets.. is it possible they may have had the same technologies of earth and ruined their own planet the same way earth seems to be going on that track? Whether it be from some sort of global warming or nuclear disaster etc etc. . . And if that couldve possibly been the case, could "aliens" be leftovers of those planets trying to save us from destroying our planet as well?

Do all lifeforms end up destroying their planets eventually? And if so... how do we stop that cycle?

[edit on 16-8-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The general theory is those planets were decimated by a war millions of years ago.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Another suggestion is that, in the case of Mars [see Graham Hancock's 'The Mars Mystery'], the red planet was slammed into by comets/asteroids, large enough to obliterate Mars' atmosphere and landscape.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

I believe there was a planet between Mars and Jupiter in the past. Some call it Phaeton.

It could have exploded or been destroyed. Wild speculation? Core breech. How? Water on surface drops down, hits oceanic fissures under tremendous pressure.

I said it was wild speculation.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
it has been theorized that Mars was hit by a massive object. Mars is home to several unique geographic features. largest canyon in the solar system. largest mountain. and a towering cliff that circumnavigates the whole of the planet.

www.astronomynow.com...

the residue of the collission it is said is the asteroid belt between mars and jupiter.

there was even a special on PBS about this.

whether or not this collission destroyed life on Mars is debatable.

another theory suggests that organic life hopped from mars to earth.

and so the theories go.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
video.pbs.org...

the video is the bottom left one.

cheers

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I recall a theory that the planets are all slowly moving away from the Sun - the orbits keep getting larger. So Mars was one where we are now, and it had life. Then it moved too far out, and it became too cold to sustain life.

Venus is too hot to sustain life. But, the theory goes, Earth will slowly move out and grow cold, while Venus will move into the"sweet spot" and cool enough to develop life.

AFAIK, this theory is not considered viable.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mythos

I can really 'grok' that astronomynow article. Makes very good sense.

Doesn't preclude the possibility of ancient complex lifeforms on Mars, either, IF there was once a biosphere that was capable of supporting such life.

Guess we won't know until a very large amount of the surface can be studied up close.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
im sure there have probably been more planets than just the ones we see now.

ive heard that theory about there being a planet between jupiter and mars and being destroyed. thats an interesting speculation about the cause for it though!

i dunno... i guess because of my own experiences it leads me to believe that aliens appear to certain people to reprogram their thinking so that those people can help change the outcome of the planet. I know that sounds pretty wild too... BUT

as a child i was abducted. all of my brothers, my mom, and my dad have all been as well. they each have hundreds of stories of their own, as do i. we are normal members of society. good jobs, good personalities, a lot of friends... we are not crazy and we dont have any health or mental problems.

so anyways, like i said, we were all abducted as children. and the interesting part about it is that all of us, including my parents, are EXTREMELY into the environment, political issues, peace.. it almost seems as though we were repogrammed to live life in a certain way. we all have strange premonitions at different times about different things. i, myself, had a premonition of kuala lumpur, malaysia, being destroyed by missiles and bombs. my brother and another brother had the exact same dream of being in the military and having a huge war erupt while they were in the military, and they became freedom fighters and fought against the governments.

The interesting part of that story? One of those brothers had that dream about 10 years ago, and he just joined the military. (not to fight, to prepare parachutes)

I cant help but feel like something extraordinary is going to happen in the near future... but that we can prevent it from happening if enough people open their eyes and seek out the truth.

top topics

join