It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The Sunday morning talk shows were definitely dedicating fair time to the nation's health care debate, although it appears the anti-public option crowd may have won a huge victory.

Apparently ready to abandon the idea, President Barack Obama's health secretary said Sunday a government alternative to private health insurance is "not the essential element" of the administration's health care overhaul.

The White House indicated it could jettison the contentious public option and settle on insurance cooperatives as an acceptable alternative, a move embraced by some Republicans lawmakers who have strongly opposed the administration's approach so far.

Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., chairman of the Senate's budget committee, pushed the co-op model as an alternative, saying it has worked in other business models.

As proposed by Conrad, the co-ops would receive federal startup money, but then would operate independently of the government. They would have to maintain the same financial reserves that private companies are required to keep to handle unexpectedly high claims.
news.yahoo.com...

Let's see if this helps change the overall tone in this health care debate now.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Funny they focus on one small part of the bill that they "believe" is the issue.

What about the part of the bill that allows them to enter your home or take your children away?

Yes there are multiple versions of the bill floating around. Why don't they pick one to focus on and make it all public?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be easier for Obama to mandate what the Insurance companies and Pharmaceuticals can and can't do?

Insurance Czar?

Spread the uninsured out over medicare, medicaid, and Congresses plan and have those people pay premiums based on a sliding chart. The more money they make the more they pay for their own healthcare.

I just don't see public option as the sole issue. The cost aspect is also an issue.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Not suprised. Maybe that's the change Obama was talking about.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

A provision in the plan that would provide end-of-life counseling to families, dubbed “death panels” by opponents, has also ignited opposition. Conrad said that provision has been dropped from consideration.

Thought that provision never existed.
How can it be dropped if it never existed?

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Xtinguish]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Thank you Sarah Palin!
By the end of August They should drop the whole bill in the fireplace
and start over.
The democrats are already running away from ObamaCare.
I guess calling the opponents "racists and un-american" was
clearly a mistake.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Good.

I hate to be a hater, but with medicaid and medicare, people in this country are - or should - be covered, without making huge changes that affect the whole country.

And the end of life provisions were dropped? I guess they didn't "officially exist" as no one would dare admit them.

But anyone with an ounce of sense knows that the GOVT. LIES.

Deny.

Can't recall.

No recollection of that.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The simplest plan of all that is a "publically funded option" would be to allow E-verified taxpayers to buy into the same federal employees insurance program at the same subsidized level or on a sliding income scale.

That would take care of the uninsured and the uninsurable and those who are not satisfied with what they do have.

Then they write a separate bill that deals with the practices and policies of the insurance companies as well as Tort Reform and developing a universal claims form and process that they all have to use which would also cut the operating costs of all the medical providers in the country.

No need of a ten pound massive bill that no one has read much less understood.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

What about the part of the bill that allows them to enter your home or take your children away?

Did you read what you posted???

Are you that paranoid or dense???

cause that belief is way out there - GIVE US A LINK

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
What I find fascinating is that this is something Obama has said is his focus, he's worked on this for years, and he seemingly doesn't have a thorough and complete plan ready to approach the public with!?

How on Earth can something be his primary goal and yet it seems to be so completely vague and full of indecision. Either he knows what he's talking about or he doesn't.

Something as major as this should be clear. It should be a solid plan, released to the public, and a referendum encouraged.

None of them have the time to read it? Let the public read it, then they can tell their representatives what's in it seeing as they just don't have the time to do their jobs!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Regardless of what you think of the bill, this was the first time that the public had the chance to actually get involved in bills before Congress. Every bill this year prior to that was passed with virtually no public input. Members of Congress on both sides virtually ignored what little input citizens had, and did what they wanted to.
This public debate over health care is what SHOULD be done with all bills. Unfortunately, the ONLY reason we had this chance, was the Congress' "vacation" or recess. Maybe they should recess for a month after each bill is presented. It would force them to be a little more careful about what they propose.
Then again, if Obama would have kept his campaign promise for transparency, and posting bills for at least 5 days before voting, that would also give us a chance for input.
I will say this. If your representative refused to hold a town hall meeting or acknowledge your emails and calls, I would hope you vote them out pronto.
They are supposed to represent YOU, not the lobbyists with the greenbacks in their pockets.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This is a cautionary tale folks. Read what ever they throw down the pike.
We'll take it one step at a time. Next, lets see what they WILL keep, and fight on those points.

A reminder of a previous thread about the bill
» Above Politics » Let's discuss what's in the Health Care Bill

Southern Guardian (whom I almost always disagree with) did a thread on fighting and illustrating that we do actually have the power to do things. We are not victims, sheep, nor will we allow them to treat us as such. Yeah, I actually agreed with that person.

This is good news.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
What amazes me is the Democrats have a majority and they don't need a single Republican to vote for it.

I highly doubt they will withdraw it now... to much money to be made, the drug companies are now on-board and ready to reap profits and fund the pro-legislation public relations campaign.

Well, one thing is true... The ONLY thing bi-partisan about the "public option" that is the Opposition.

It is true that THIS issue is eating up time to pass more "profitable" initiatives like the "Cap & Trade Scam" and the administration may be getting pressured to lay off healthcare and concentrate on the big money makers.

Also, I am sure the Trans-nationalist are getting ancy to return to the plan of funding all the UN initiatives (Global Poverty Act). The UN needs her US money you know!

www.aim.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
If Obama wants to really help the poor and the unemployed obtain healthcare he should cut some incredibly wasteful government agencies and hire doctors and nurses to treat the poor. Money could be taken away from the FDA, IRS, and the ATF in order to provide good medical care for the poor. There are many other state and federal agencies no one would miss.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by eradown]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I would like to believe that a small comment some had been passing around the community (theirs) gave a moment of pause....

"If this is such a great idea, Congress and all 'executive' public servants should be obliged to set the example and use it."

A little push like that can demonstrate exactly how 'real' their enthusiasm for the bill actually is.

Also, Health Care Bill conceptualization, branding, and marketing notwithstanding, it was becoming harder and harder to avoid the appearance that the reason there was no 'actual' final draft of the bill to debate was telling.

It meant that the 'real' bill wasn't going to surface until a few days before the vote. (i.e. their "standard practice")

Don't expect all the offensive provisions of some the bill's incarnations to have perished, they will surface again in a different guise under other initiatives, for example the WHO-driven initiatives which are part and parcel of the global governance agenda (the Codex Alimentarium comes to mind).

I must say that it seems evident the political clown college has been forced to sit up and take notice. That is a minor victory. They are apparently not all that comfortable with their 'insulation' from public sentiment - they want our 'love.'

The next batch of legislation should include more controls securing their 'entitlements, rights, and privileges' - particularly those they don't share with the rest of us 'human resources.'

Did someone say Obama has been working on this for two years? Is that a quote?

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
No wonder the media was panning the public opposition.

Public outcry works!

I think this is a red herring in hopes that the opposition will now feel better and calm down.

Instead I hope it encourages more public participation.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
the public option would help the middle class and poor...so i'm not suprised. this is a capitalist country and we have to bow down to the corporations and the rich. yup...a real shocker (yawn)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
If there are no cost controls then no plan will work. The problem is health care costs are climbing non stop.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Now, don't get your britches in a twist! It's still going to happen. The White House is just going to CALL it something different . . . hoping that we (The People) believe it IS something different.

Don't be the least surprised if the new bill proposed is a 'copy & paste' of the current one . . . with a few alterations to make it APPEAR different.

Keep your eyes and ears peeled.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Nivcharah

Don't be the least surprised if the new bill proposed is a 'copy & paste' of the current one . . . with a few alterations to make it APPEAR different.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I think that the House members were brought down to ground level, and many of them are truly afraid that they will not be re-elected, if they go against the wishes of the voters.
I believe a very watered down bill will be passed, which in the long run, will do nothing. However, it will allow Obama to say that he was "successful" in passing health care reform.
Politicians are very skilled at doing nothing, and making it look like they have done something.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join