It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the death star approaching the Sun? Look at this SOHO image

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

If this isn't a joke or hoax it looks like it's curtains for us all. Now that I'm about to die I want to thank my mom and my dad for......Seriously does anyone know what this is? that's one of the most frightening images I've ever seen!! I went to SOHO's website and can only get an image from 17:34 and there's no alarms going off unless NASA is trying to hide whats going on. I mean if this is bonafide I think were gonna be boned.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Interesting photo. A comparison of the size of Venus to the photo in the OP shows that Venus is much smaller: lakdiva.org... Another issue is the apparent motion, or sun coronal effect, on the object in question.

If it is Venus, it is much larger and seems to have inward motion due to the comet-like halo around the object. Very deceptive.

Death star is more exciting, I agree.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolution2012
WHAT IS THAT THING!?

it is LARGER than the sun!?

wow...WOW.

Nasa has some 'splainin to do!

I suggest we all save this image, because nasa likes to "loose" these files midway through the day when an anomaly is found on them.

Not really...

...whatever it is (lens reflection, planet, comet...whatever), if it WAS an actual object in space, it could be relatively small and have simply been relatively closer to the camera.

I can block the Sun from my eyes with my hand, but obviously my hand is smaller than the Sun.

For another example, in this picture...
i1.trekearth.com...
...the flower looks bigger than the Sun.

[edit on 8/16/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Whatever it was it is not in the subsequent pictures. It seemed to have just disappeared.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
All I wanna know is..

Where the hell is Phage when you need him?!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Paging Mr. Phage...Paging Mr. Phage...
I can't wait to see what he says about this.
He's always got a good explanation...
And I can usually go to sleep after I hear it.
Phage, Where are you?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by -NewSense-

haha, my thought EXACTLY!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This is not the first time an image like this has shown up.

Here is one with 2 death stars.
And i think Internos might have covered it in the thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Not to sound unappreciative of your attempts but, this object in no way resembles the objects in your post. I can' possibly see how they relate to this image. :\

Edit: Oops. Guess I was too lazy to scroll down further in that thread lol. I see the images now, my apologies.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by -NewSense-]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
According to the latest SOHO image, the death star has disappeared. PHEW! sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I didn't want to have to say this.
It's "debris", possibly something off of the satellite itself. As has been pointed out, it does not appear in subsequent images indicating that it was very near to the camera.

Debris can refer to astronomical or human-made debris. The debris may be dust or spacecraft insulation which has flaked off. Visit here lasco-www.nrl.navy.mil... for more detailed information. The image below provides a typical example of debris.

sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil...
Unfortunately the link contained in the link is dead. It used to have images nearly identical to the one in the OP.

Here's a little more on the subject:

Three examples of such images are shown in Fig. 1. The LASCO coronagraphs are very sensitive to dust particles that pass through the field of view; such small particles, at small angles from the Sun, are illuminated by the bright Sun and are easily seen. The space environment is usually very clean, but sometimes a streak is observed in the images. Since the instrument is focused at infinity the particles appear out of focus, and thus broad. Hence they are not removed by the denoising technique in the preprocessing step.

sidc.oma.be...

[edit on 8/16/2009 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I think you are right. Two "death stars" in one of those shots, or as Internos called them, "pacman"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 16/8/09 by dmorgan]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
soho.esac.esa.int...

Here is a vid with the death star going by.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage
I knew there had to be a logical explanation.
I just didn't know what it was.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ahh, now my thread can die, a honorable death, Phage has spoken!

Thanks for that explanation. You are da man.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

That is not the Deathstar. That's the deathship of the ASA-RRR empire.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It's not the Death Star. It's probably the planet Mercury, though I really don't know that for sure. The apparent motion is a result of the particles streaming past it, coming from the Sun. That makes it look like the thing is moving towards the Sun, but it's not. It's orbiting the Sun.

Of course, if it turns out that it really *is* the Death Star, there's not a whole lot we could do about it anyway, seeing as how it's already so close to the Sun and we just can't mount a massive military space mission to destroy the Star.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I believe it was just a glitch, if I am not mistaken the cameras have to be taken offline every now and for de-icing and then powered back up and calibrated.

If you look at this image

This was taken right before the other one. And it appears as though a wild comet it approaching.

If you look at the original image as well you can see it almost looks like a negative of where it is originally suppose to be except the "Sun" is smeared to the left of the blank circle. Looks like it was just a shutter speed issue to me....

-Kdial1

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
nice post OP but agree with the conclusions of your responders.
I would like to add a couple of pics to your thread in the hope of continuing my thread about the orca.

you can find the thread here

any help anyone could give in trying to figure out what happend to these objects would be much appreciated..

peace
daz__

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

I love your avatar. So is Bill, Data or Jean-luc?

I'm sure some have seen the video "Secret Nasa Transmissions"

When I first saw the picture I thought of the "Spherical Phenomenon" depicted in the above.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join