It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright Yellow Mucous

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It's a disgusting topic, but I feel the ATS crowd is a really hip and happening group with extensive knowledge on a bunch of things. I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced the symptom of sickness that I have.

I'm on day 2 of a very sudden and painful sore throat and stuffy nose sickness. It started almost immediately after I had a quick bite to eat at a fast food establishment. I'm not saying the food was the cause, but I'm trying to give as much detail as possible. Day 1 involved nothing other than a very painful sore throat.

When I blow my nose I end up with intensely bright yellow mucous. It's almost yellow highlighter marker bright. I've been sick many times before and I've coughed and hacked up plenty of disgusting looking phlegm in my life, but never have I ever had such a bright yellow product come out of my nose. My throat is sore, scratchy, and dry, and I'm not coughing as of yet. The mucous is located in my nose and above (no chest congestion).

I know mucous that isn't clear typically means an infection, but I'm interested in the color. Plus, I currently have no health insurance so I'm going to try to avoid seeing a doctor.

As a side note: has anyone here been positively diagnosed with either swine or bird flu? If so, was your mucous bright yellow? I'm not jumping the gun on anything but I know I have not been diagnosed with these illnesses and I'm just making sure.

Currently taking orange juice, vitamin c tablets, and at my grandmother's behest some Zicam rapidmelt tablets.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
You have a bacterial head cold, with a possible nasal infection.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by danj3ris

The colour of your mucous is indicitive of the type of bacteria currently in your system. "Blooms" of certain types of bacteria occur every day, most without notice.
This colour "change" is usually not seen with a viral infection (swine flu et al) but could be a secondary infection that is oppoutunistic to a primary (viral) infection.
It sounds like you're doing the right thing, stay hydrated by all means, and if this appears to get worse, see a doctor. Go to a hospital. Cost should always be secondary to human life.

Hope you feel better.

Mike -read two threads and call me in the morning- Russell

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Been there, had that. You have a bad sinus infection my friend. Get thee to a doctor, pronto! And take ALL the antibiotics they give you - don't just stop once you feel better or it will come back twice as bad. I know, i've done just that. hope you feel better friend!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Agreed with the sinus infection. Yellow usually indicates the presence of blood and blood breakdown products.

www.sinuswars.com...

Agreed with the "hie thyself to a physician" crowd.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
grats on your headcold!
water + sleep = the answer

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I had what sounds to me like the same condition, started with the sore throat and progressed with the (yuck) yellow mucus, it did not clear up with the use of augmentin, instead the augmentin caused me to get thrush in my mouth and throat, a second trip to the doctor and I was given docycline, that cleared it up. Doc never said exactly what it was, i had suggested sinus infection, although I have never had one, but he disagreed with that.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I think you have a sinus infection. There is no telling what strain of bacteria / virus lead to it , but my God, it sounds nasty! You definately need antibiotics. I know that antibiotics are frowned upon a lot, but only the use of them in inappropriate circumstances. You seriously need to clear that crap up - think how close your brain is to your face.

That's a nice thought there, huh? How about a head cold devoloping into a brain cold / infection.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Go to a clinic where they have a sliding fee scale. No one can refuse to treat you. Your life is more important than money. Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Probably started as an allergy and now you have a full blown sinus infection.

Sinus infections can be tricky and dangerous if your not careful! Anytime you have an infection in either your ears or nose, you are at risk for a dangerous infection of the brain which is called encephalitis. Although, this condition which causes swelling of the brain is rare it can be very serious. No need to panic, but your condition warrants medical attention.

Take care,

Pax

top topics

join