It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.8 Powerful Earthquake Rocks Western Indonesia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Another quake close to a 7. in the Asia part of the world.
That would make it 6 or 7 big quakes in 1 week..

One noticable thing, is that the quakes vary in depths, this one is 28 miles down and there have been 100 miles on some of these quakes..

Fox News
JAKARTA, Indonesia — A powerful underwater earthquake struck western Indonesia on Sunday, injuring four people as they tried to flee, officials said.

Indonesia's meteorological and geophysics agency said no tsunami warning was issued.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake registered magnitude 6.7, after initially measuring it at 7.0. It struck at 2:38 p.m. and was centered at a depth of 28 miles under the Indian Ocean seabed, about 70 miles west-southwest of the city of Padang on Sumatra island, it said.

Four people were injured as they fled in Padang and a house was damaged, said Ade Edward, a local government official.

Indonesia straddles a chain of fault lines and volcanoes known as the Pacific "Ring of Fire" and is prone to seismic activity. A huge quake off western Indonesia caused a powerful tsunami in 2004 that killed around 230,000 people in a dozen countries.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
!!

Exactly !!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hey ChemBreather,
They sure are getting hit hard over there, make you think a big one is on the way, I know they all say its normal, but it deffo seems strange and I bet the poor people of Indonesia are worried.
I have just started following earthquakes recently, but I really think the earth is acting strange.

join