It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Tropical Storms in Atlantic Hit 1,000-Year High

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
A 1000 year HIGH people..
It is pretty hard to argue that change is here and will only grow into more severe weathers around the globe....

ABC News
Study Suggests Hurricane Frequency Has Increased Dramatically; Climate Change a Potential Culprit.

The people of U.S. Gulf Coast have felt unusually battered by big storms during the past few years. Now, it turns out their instincts are right.

A new report in the scientific journal Nature indicates that the last decade has seen, on average, more frequent hurricanes than any time in the last 1,000 years. The last period of similar activity occurred during the Medieval Warm Period.

The study is not definitive, but it is a unique piece of work that combines an analysis of sediment cores from inland lakes and tidal marshes with computer modeling and finds a "striking consistency" between the two, the authors suggest.

The use of sediment cores to place and date ancient storms -- called "paeleotempestology" -- is becoming an increasingly useful tool in the broader effort to try to reconstruct the history of hurricane activity in order to better predict a future potentially influenced by climate change.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Yep, and there are 2 more out there right now that we are keeping an eye on, Ana and Bill. Looks like Ana is going to make it into the Gulf....not so sure about Bill. I was directly in the path of Ike, and I stayed and rode it out.....will stay for any others that come as well.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I just had to post when I seen the headline.

1000 year high? I knew the Native Americans had great weather forcasting models with their radar systems and computer aided modeling but only the Seminoles had a written language and them damn Navaho never shared any of the weather forecasting. LOL

My God people, the jig is up. Global Warming (warming disproven) now called Global Weather Change is bull, unless you include HAARP abnormalities and the effects of weather manipulation (patent included).

Give up trying to convince us that we destroyed the world, and push for true enforcement of existing pollution laws. Do us all a favor.

Proven, most if not all Environmental groups are funded by Energy companies, that by regulations set prices for all energy usage and stop competition.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Wow, you shouldn't post about what you don't know.

There are many many ways to tell if there was a storm surge or not. If you actually read the article, they use soil and sediment samples. And yes, you can tell a storm by the sediment it deposits.

Take a geology class sometime.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I am sorry but that is just horrible research. If they even did research. According to a chart on icecap.us the cyclone energy is at about a 30 year low.

icecap.us...

Also this mythical increase in strength has only to do with a change in how the NHC reports tropical systems. I have followed this for over 20 years. The NHC has really lowered the bar for naming and upgrading storms. You find storms being named that in the old days would struggle to be called a depression. You also have a change in how the NHC calculates surface winds. This is a fact not an assumption. They used Andrew as an excuse to make the change. Prior to the Andrew factor the NHC would determine surface winds to be about 65% to 75% of flight level winds. Since the change the surface winds are figured at 90%. Under the old system the surface winds were relatively accurate. You could find sustained wind reports that closely matched what the NHC reported. That isn't the case anymore. It is hard to find a wind gust as high as what gets reported as the maximum sustained wind. If you want to find the real wind speed of a tropical system just take what the NHC reports as the maximum sustained wind and chop off about 20mph or more.

I'm sorry but the storms just aren't any stronger. Only the reporting method has changed.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Just reading the post makes me laugh. the sources are #e and are not definitive at all.ABC trying to stir up global warming and referring to a warm medieval period then blah blah blah. Shame on you for this. Hook, line and stinker. This smells bad. The only thing I can agree upon is weather does change and that's it. Are all your threads this bad?

[edit on 16-8-2009 by A por uvas]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by A por uvas

That is a pretty bold statement to the OP, especially coming from someone as new as you with absolutely no posts!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I call it how I see it and it looks like others are doing the same and yes I am new(at posting but have been reading for quite a while) and have just made enough posts to start threads. So what I have absolutely no threads but I'm not creating threads that hold no validity either . When I do write a thread it will have truth and substance behind it.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by A por uvas]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I have to say I feel it is just more global warming propaganda....if we are in such a state as this says, then why are the first two named tropical storms happening in mid august......about a third of the way through the season? I know....it's because of the global weather change.....warming or change what is it?
Personally IMHO....it is just an attempt to keep the peoples attention from the real important issues....just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufoptics
I have to say I feel it is just more global warming propaganda....

Did you actually read the article? I doubt it. And it seems your jumping the bandwagon without actually reading the article.

Shame on you.

But I will help you bother with it:

"There is some evidence that [climate change] is adding to hurricane strength, but there's no evidence it's tied to increased hurricane frequency,"

if we are in such a state as this says, then why are the first two named tropical storms happening in mid august......about a third of the way through the season?

Understand the hurricane season a little more before making comments such as these.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/31384d56919a.png[/atsimg]

while the hurricane season is long. The bulk of the activity is September.
Fact is, we haven't even come to the "actual" season yet.

AND we are talking about a thousand year span. Not the Month of august of 2009.

I know....it's because of the global weather change.....warming or change what is it?

If you don't know, then how could you possibly be debating it?

Personally IMHO....it is just an attempt to keep the peoples attention from the real important issues....just my opinion.

Personal opinions aside. On the off chance that GC is causing increased hurricane activity, that is a pretty darn important issue.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

[edit on 16-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The last period of similar activity occured during the Medieval warm period.

What? Medieval warm period?

No nonoo.. Not possible. That would be an indicator of cyclical warming and cooling trends. How did we have a warm period a thousand years ago when nobody in the US had cars and factories to destroy the pristine and perfect ecosystem that was the ever divine face of our new green deity Mother Earth?

That's it. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this.

I'm calling Al Gore

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) wrote this a few days ago:
Study: Better Observations, Analyses Detecting Short-Lived Tropical Systems
(Follow the link for the full article)

A NOAA-led team of scientists has found that the apparent increase in the number of tropical storms and hurricanes since the late 19th and early 20th centuries is likely attributable to improvements in observational tools and analysis techniques that better detect short-lived storms.

The new study, reported in the online edition of the American Meteorological Society’s peer-reviewed Journal of Climate, shows that short-lived tropical storms and hurricanes, defined as lasting two days or less, have increased from less than one per year to about five per year from 1878 to 2008.

“The recent jump in the number of short-lived systems is likely a consequence of improvements in observational tools and analysis techniques,” said Chris Landsea, science and operations officer at NOAA’s National Hurricane Center in Miami, and lead author on the study. “The team is not aware of any natural variability or greenhouse warming-induced climate change that would affect the short-lived tropical storms exclusively.” [...]

[edit on 2009/8/17 by Shirakawa]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Global warming is just a bunch of hype and bull IMO, if it was "global warming"...how come winters are still cold?? the way they make "global warming" sound is that the planted is "warming" every year...and all this "ice caps melting a few inches"....ooooo wow....ice...last time i checked...melted, any one ever stop to think that maybe our planet goes through different climate changing trends every now and then?? thats not caused by pollution? anyone ever heard of the global cooling crap from the 70's?? now its GlObAl WaRmInG!!!...i dnt buy into the global warming crap...

new topics

top topics

join