It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

" Zombie outbreak would be 'disastrous': mathematicians"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
what a stupid study by people who are not qualified to have any particular opinion on it.

why do people presume zombies would always act like they do in films and games?

if they were constantly looking for food it seems unlikely that they wouldn't eat eachother. why would a stupid animal which only wants food bother to chase a person a long way away if there is another zombie he can go for nearby? also what makes people sure that the 'zombification' wouldn't apply to other species as well as you can only speculate how the problem would be spread.

there are SO many variables and possibilities that for anybody to say anything with certainty about an entirely fantasy-based scenario requires so many assumptions that it's basically all worthless. let alone a mathematician has no particular expertise in any of this. and seriously what kind of a silly comment is 'it would be disastrous'?

yes.....obviously. that's like saying if we have tsunamis hitting all the major cities in the world that it would be terrible for the people living there. i can't imagine anything more obvious.

i'm not really sure what this has to do with a conspiracy website anyway. what they say is not a conspiracy and there's nothing to be learned from what is said to make a conspiracy of that either.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Although I do enjoy a good round of L4D once in a while - and ocasionally making hordes of Nazi Zombies grovel at my feet - I actually believe most people have missed the most obvious solution.

The best solution to dealing with a real Zombie outbreak would be full body chainmail and APC's...

Stock the APC's with people and weaponry - perhaps tweak both individual chain suits and APC's with their own ventallation systems if necessary - and the Zombie's would really have ZERO chance.

I figure it would take less than six months to completely erradicate them - lowering unemployment quite a bit - and after that mandatory cremation of all deceased.

We are a pretty intelligent species when we need to be - despite all signs to the contrary.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This story is right up there with "The stove is hot" and "Cancer is bad" in the realms of bloody obvious statements
Zombies in any walk of life could really ruin your day, worse than birthers and trolls on ATS

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
did any one actually read the article? i got the impression they were not really talking about a zombie virus, but something else like h1n1

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
what if the government enforced mandatory vaccinations
or the national guard was rounding up the uninfected... would you ressist them because they are the big bad government or would you let them help you ?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Mathematicians who play a lot of video games.

It's really my favorite 'Situation X' scenario though. The only time I would be completely comfortable fighting back. I don't want to hurt any living person, but if the enemy were dead/undead/whatever I would totally go all out on them without any fear or guilt.

Now, can we give these mathematicians something to do? Like maybe they can figure out how much money my great-grandchildren owe the Fed? That would keep them busy a while...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthMagnet

Well chain mail would not be a perfect solution - say you got mobbed by loads of undead they would still be trying to bite you, they would break the skin in places under the chain mail and then zombie slobber would get into the wounds - and then, well in 5 hours you will just be the funkiest zombie on the block.

Maybe some sort of rubber / kevlar body suit?? - Man my mind just wondered to an image of 7of9 head to toe in a very tight fitting one of then..........

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
lol i love this idea, 'Left4Dead' is my fav FPS at the moment.

Autoshotgun FTW

[edit on 16-8-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Some armor is nice. Some chain mail on the ends of your arm or neck is good. But you wouldn't want to wear too much armor that would slow you down.
The notion of slow zombies conquering the world is a load of crap. If Zoey isn't calling zombie BS then there's nothing to worry about.

The metaphorical zombie I think is the most dangerous presently, and historically.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I think everyone is missing the metaphor of the original post... the government and its supporters are the zombies and were are already infected. Anyone unwilling to confront the pathogen and its carriers itself becomes either a host / carrier or an irrelevant antibody to be consumed.

Originally posted by kidney thief what if the government enforced mandatory vaccinations ...

Government mandated vaccines will have 3, maybe 4, possible influences: some people will become infected; some will die from the vaccine; some will become a group of people immune to the pathogen... and those with the foresight to not succumb to exposure to the vaccine or the pathogen itself will lead those who are immune to total remission from the disease.

edit- slight change of words.
[edit on 8/16/2009 by abecedarian]
edit2- minor reformat of the included quote.

[edit on 8/16/2009 by abecedarian]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
all i would need would be a nice sized machete' a shotgun, and maybe a SAW. Armed to the teeth. Me and my recruiter back in the day actually talked about what we would do would be to have a place way high up on a hill and get a nice little perimeter set up and ready before you get there.....yea pretty fun right? S annnnd F

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Nice to see the Canadian tax dollars are being spent just as wisely as the US tax dollars

Does lol count as a second line

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal

seriously? this is actually being STUDIED?

i have to say this is the FUNNIEST news article I have read in...well maybe ever!

on the other hand, this study could be on how to contain and eliminate other threats under cover, threats like, oh i don't know, say h1n1...

the only reason you're snarkishly chuckling to yourself over this is because of the conditioning your media has given you about the concept of "zombies" and that in your mind it's something completely apart from fact in another imaginary world called "fiction"...

what if medical research went on as it has.. and the "zombie" character was never invented or popularized.. and you read this study.. you wouldn't be so smarmy about it

it's gonna happen.. through the water supply on Jan 15th watch the chronoclysm video on my sig to find out more.

-

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thedude69

haha you make me laugh... thank you

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifersjester
I find this whole thread very anti zombie, well I long for the day when a zombie is elected president

Come on, we've had lots of presidents. Surely a few fit the bill.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Ok this is what i dont get about zombies, it depends on where your info is coming from! The original zombi flick night of the living dead is a never ending force of the dead the walk slow and moan but you cant kill them. then you break into the recent world and zombies become these mean running crazy people that a knock on the noggin takes care of. As in all things that involve movies or video games, It came down to the writers imagination and how they could get there thought across. im not saying i dont believe it could happen, i actually have a plan just in case it does lol. But you have to take in all the factors. If they still have full functioning brains or there mindless brutes. if animals can become infected, a zombified bird would be end game. How many ways it can be transferred. As far as guns yeah they will last a while, but what are you gonna do when a large metropolitan area of them gets your scent. basically how can you prepare for the truly unknown, the only substantial evidence is in books that cant be proven but taken on faith. At the end of days the moon shall become as blood the sun will fall the oceans will boil AND THE DEAD SHALL RISE FROM THE GRAVE. Im not sure a few guns and ammo will be enough

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by reptilianslayer
i think you guys are thinking of the greatest zombie game ever the resident evil series man that game made chills run up my spine an in each game the virus keeps mutating anyone who hasnt played it yet try resident evil 6

Resident Evil 6?? is that even in development yet?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Sure, guns and fancy body armour is cool if you got the bucks to finance your zombie apocalypse gear but I would like to introduce a blue light special package for the rest of us.

Econo Package includes:

Primary Weapon: Machete
Never underestimate the destructive raw power of a Machete. It is used for harvesting sugar cane and moving through dense jungle environments. The machete is also alot cheaper than let's say a Glock or auto-shotgun. it won't break down or even need much cleaning. If a zombie breaches your comfort zone you hack n slash until the threat is eliminated.

Clothing: Optional
Whatever you got, you wear. Just be sure you can run and move comfortably. Besides, chainmail, sharksuits and body armour are simply too expensive for average Joe zombie slayer.

Remember, the key to survival is improvisation. Sometimes Less is more.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I think we should act now to head off the potential for a mass zombie attack.

We should all meet up in local groups, and by night descend on the graveyards in your areas - dig up each and every body and sever the head... and then for good measure re bury them encased in lead reinforced concrete. (and don't forget to behead the dead animals).

It won't be easy - but we must plan for the future... Think of the children.

We can do this if we all work together.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I think we should act now to head off the potential for a mass zombie attack.

We should all meet up in local groups, and by night descend on the graveyards in your areas - dig up each and every body and sever the head... and then for good measure re bury them encased in lead reinforced concrete. (and don't forget to behead the dead animals).

It won't be easy - but we must plan for the future... Think of the children.

We can do this if we all work together.

I concur with Now_Then.

Additionally to beheading them it might be prudent to put them in a hole and burn them with gasoline ala The Thing.

I don't want them climbing out and infecting the children as they sleep at night.

I also suggest we have a 3 watch rotation schedule and everyone make notes in a log as needed. The future of mankind rests in our hands.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join