It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

" Zombie outbreak would be 'disastrous': mathematicians"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Hmm... yeah, after careful analysis, your idea IS in fact better than being hit by fuel-air bombs. Good call.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
The problem with "hit them in the hread" is the fact they have something between your baseball bat and their squishy brains.

it's called a skull. And over the last hundred-fifty million years, critters with squishy, easily-broken skulls tend to, well, get htier heads squished, leaving hteir more thickheaded bretheren to populate the earth.

This explains congress.

But more importantly, it means that skulls are hard to bash open enough to get at the juicy stuff inside. You can crack a skull, but the impact needed is quite a lot. And even if you can get a full-on shatter (say, swinging a mining pick) all you're going to do is injure the brain.

We can assume that the higher functions just aren't needed for a zombie. You have to get the brainstem, or at least tear out enough chunks overall to make it drop into a twitching heap.

You're not going to do this by hitting them. You're going to exhaust yourself, screw up your club, and just have a battered-looking zombie.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Well from what I know from films - the ONLY reliable zombie info source I feel... The Zombie virus is transmitted usually by biting, thus indicating a bodily fluid based transfer.

With that in mind I think batting anf pickaxing the undead into deadness will create a spray of blood snot and brains - some of which will be atomised and breathed in, entering you blood stream via the mucus membranes, and eyes as well.

So that really throws up some problems - if you have a biological protection suit and you fell like diving in and smashing brain stems then thats all good... Personally I'd like an aerial strike, I'd hotwire me an A-10 and just run that gun dry in a load of kick ass low passes.. Yhea that's what I'll do, I'll make sure I have a ripped shirt and a woman waiting for me back at base

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I find this whole thread very anti zombie, well I long for the day when a zombie is elected president

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
This was done by a bunch of graduate students. Let me tell you how it probably went down...

John T. MathStudent and his buddies are sitting in the basement of the mathematics lab working on their papers. John has decided to do his over the epidemiology of a disease of some sort. John and his buddies have been sitting there for hours and hours doing their work and, in a moment of comedy, someone says "Hey, what if the dead people come back to life? Haha, Zombie Apocalypse!" Everyone laughs and, for giggles, John makes a minor tweak to his model so people come back to life. Everyone has great fun and thinks it's great, so John sends a copy to his professor to share in the fun. The professor is also a good sport, so he encourages them to write up the paper and come up with a 'real world' reason to go along with the 'for fun' reason.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifersjester
I find this whole thread very anti zombie, well I long for the day when a zombie is elected president

You damn zombi-ites! Always with the, "brains, brains, and higher gas taxes!"

What we need is, more werewolves!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I would definitely try the "pretend to be a zombie" trick just to see if it works.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This is why I trained my bear to use chainsaws and flamethrowers. At first it was difficult but they are surprisingly intelligent. I do need to get him some armor but so far I haven't been able to find any that can fit him. I have a zombie proof house mad of iron doors and ladders.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Funny,

My wife and I discuss all the time about how we could better fortify our 2nd story apartment from such an outbreak.

We both actually own copies of Zombie Survival Handbook

We figure if we live in a city of 400,000 people, and have about a month of MREs and approximately ~100,000 rounds of ammunition we should be alright. Given our accuracy and being able to hit them with 1 bullet in the head.

According to 28 days later, that's about how long it takes for zombies to starve to death, and their numbers should decrease significantly after.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I had a dream that the swine flu vaccine turned people into zombies

I can see it now, PETA, greenies, and other tree huggers starting "save the zombies" campaigns, zombies are our friends! Don't kill them, its inhumane! Theirs not many zombies so they should be a protected species!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Just remove all windows, reinforce the doors with iron / steel and install ladders to get up to the vital areas that should be on the top floor. Two story house would be perfect. Doors and ladders are the zombies natural enemy.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'd go to the nearest marina and steal a sailboat, or better yet, a yacht; I've never seen zombies swim up to one and climb on board. If we stay clear of Somali waters, we should be cool.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Psynarchist]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nastalgik
This is why I trained my bear to use chainsaws and flamethrowers. At first it was difficult but they are surprisingly intelligent. I do need to get him some armor but so far I haven't been able to find any that can fit him. I have a zombie proof house mad of iron doors and ladders.

Oh man...This is classic! Made me laugh a good hearty belly laugh!

I actually really want zombies to come around...I think it would be pretty awesome and a great time killer!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I'm going to preface this by saying that the Zombie Survival Guide was pretty far out there when it came to weaponry recommendations. I mean, if it's obvious that headshots kill, you're not going to use your M249/other automatic rifle for grazing fire. M16 sight posts aren't used the way the book says they are, i.e. you don't have to readjust the sights anytime your target changes distance; you BZO to 2 or 300 and then KW it; and although bladed weapons don't need reloading, they do present an increased self-injury hazard, especially if you're fighting on uneven ground, and they have to be wiped of blood, cleaned, oiled, and honed with regular use, not to mention the training that should go into using any bladed weapon effectively.

I could write a book on this ("zombie takeover/zombie eradication" was a common topic while my buddies and I stood post, right behind "which dinosaur would win in a fight"), but I would recommend a shark suit or a RedMan suit for anyone who would seriously consider engaging a feral combatant.

[edit on 2009/8/16 by Griever0311]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm actually reading the book World War Z at the moment by Max Brooks and I found it pretty fascinating to say the least. Out of all the zombie movies I've seen, this one has a lot more in it because they go into the political aspects of what governments would do if a zombie outbreak happens and how civilization would completely crumble. I recommend it to people who are fans of the zombie subject.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sirius20

Read that one...By far my favorite Zombie novel is Day by Day Armageddon.

It is written in the style of a journal. But a very quick read very difficult to put down!

I thought the survival guide was kind of silly (i know its listed as comedy).

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

What is VX?

VX is the deadliest nerve agent ever created. Known by its U.S. Army code name, it is a clear, colorless liquid with the consistency of motor oil. A fraction of a drop of VX, absorbed through the skin, can fatally disrupt the nervous system. Although a cocktail of drugs can serve as an antidote, VX acts so quickly that victims would have to be injected with the antidote almost immediately to have a chance at survival. VX is the only significant nerve agent created since World War II.

Source : Council on Foreign Relations

What VX is
    •VX is a human-made chemical warfare agent classified as a nerve agent. Nerve agents are the most toxic and rapidly acting of the known chemical warfare agents. They are similar to pesticides (insect killers) called organophosphates in terms of how they work and what kinds of harmful effects they cause. However, nerve agents are much more potent than organophosphate pesticides.

•VX was originally developed in the United Kingdom in the early 1950s.

•VX is odorless and tasteless.

•VX is an oily liquid that is amber in color and very slow to evaporate. It evaporates about as slowly as motor oil.
Source : CDC

Why does the US still have thousands of tons of VX stockpiled ?

ZOMBIES !!

Now everything makes sense !!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
If there was a Zombie outbreak, could that then reanimate Michael Jackson's corpse?

Now that would be freaky!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
If there was a Zombie outbreak, could that then reanimate Michael Jackson's corpse?

Now that would be freaky!

That would be freaky AWSOME!!!

when he comes toward you just put thriller on the boom box and enjoy the show. Or run what ever makes you feel better.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Ha! I love this topic. It has been the source of countless hours of discussion between my friends and myself. My personal preference for a zombie killing weapon is hands down a crossbow. Although it lacks the range of a high-powered rifle; it is silent, which would keep you from alerting other zombies to your presence, and you can retrieve your bolts. You can get crossbows these days with a rail system for adding lights and optics.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join