It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is What A Police Estate Looks Like

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Hello all, I Recently went on a trip to Liverpool UK, and what I found was shocking to say the least. all I could see on literally every ally-way on every single street, just everywhere I looked these big 7ft steel gates with roller bars and vandal grease on top. The only problem was I forgot my camera so had to take these off Google street view. I looked at a few other places while I was at it, and what I found was the same everywhere, Manchester, Salford, Birmingham, Leeds etc etc... I even found them In Scotland and Wales.

My previous visit to Liverpool was some years ago now, it was you could say more lively than today, there were kids playing games in the streets and like this buzzing atmosphere round every corner. now it just feels like a crime ridden ghost town.
Probably mainly due to its 'new' image.

Notice the bars across on the top, these spin round as well as coated in black grease.

MORE

MORE

MORE

MORE

MORE

AND MORE

>>

I mapped out a few of the here with red circles. This pic is just a small blip on a map, I'm not joking these are everywhere.

Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by deadoralive

Star, and flag for good work. My thoughts?? I can see where someone would justify that as security in a neighborhood.

However, why do you need security given a clean healthy society? Obviously it's not clean, and healthy.

Why not??? The government there, or the NWO wants people in fear. It keeps the neighbors tattling on each other.

What your showing in the pictures is police state through creating an atmosphere where anyone could be the 'boogie'.

Hey, at least they're greased, and not covering the tops of the gates with barb wire

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
They are pretty rough areas. ive lived in manchester all my life its mega rough in parts. espeicaly the council estates in salfrod you can go anywhere without being mugged by 7 year old on bikes

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Thanks for your thoughts, I think you're spot on

Prison Planet comes to my mind. I think the atmosphere's been dead places like that for a while now and the people there are living in the image of the government, you're all bad and all need to be locked up kinda thing, but as seen as we have no excuse to lock you up, we'll just turn your streets into a prison instead.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdebz
They are pretty rough areas. ive lived in manchester all my life its mega rough in parts. espeicaly the council estates in salfrod you can go anywhere without being mugged by 7 year old on bikes

Tell me about it! I'm originally from Manchester, I moved away a few years ago because things were getting bad then. I heard it's even worse now, but I visited last year and to me things seemed to have quietened down a bit.
To be honest I think we all loved a bit of drama, it was probably the only bit of excitement we ever got lol

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I believe its only going to get worse.
People refuse to acknowledge the messed up situation that we are in.
No one wants to take responsibility for anything.
We are in a world of spoiled and traumatized children.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It has been pretty much the same in some areas of Birmingham since the late 90's. Growing up i remember similar style gates and fencing going up in almost every alley. The councils reasoning was it would stop muggers/robbers having places to attack people, the fact it just created dead ends for victims to be chased into was just ignored.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

I remember being a kid in Manchester and I'd see some rough looking scallywags coming up towards me in the street, so I used to walk through the alleyways just to avoid them before they spotted me. I think if I was a kid living there now I probably wouldn't leave the house on my own

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by deadoralive

Yeah think i would do the same, staying in seems like the safest option. I have a couple of friends who have lived on estates in Manchester and one who has grown up in Liverpool, the stories they tell seriously make Birmingham sound much safer.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Just throw a space blanket over the rollers and secure each side through the eyelets with bunji cords or rope. Your mylar space blanket won't even soak up the grease. Now you have a nice sturdy non-rolling platform at the top and will stay nice and clean.

Plus act now and we will throw in a years supply of goo gone! Yes a couple quick sprays and the grease and grime will just run right off of your mylar space blanket.

Wait though that's not at all! For a very limited time we will throw in a deluxe 100% Wool black ski-mask. One size fits all, but you must call now, supplies are limited, operators standing by!

I love the New World Order!

[edit on 15/8/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Pretty similar to what I thought, I thought a piece of carpet or something.

I love Americans

Edit to add: btw I don't mean that in a sarcastic way

[edit on 16-8-2009 by deadoralive]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The title was misleading. I thought you were asking if this was where Sting lived.

Anyhow. Shame that neighborhoods have to have such tight security. I'm thinking a nice stepladder would foil the gates.

I'd move out of town myself.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

stepladder?? possibly but it'd have to be a big one and it would have to have steps the other side too. Don't think I've ever seen one that you'd get over one of these with, but you could however use it to climb the wall at the side if that's what you meant? or use one of them wheelie bins.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by superdebz

Me too...those pics remind me of the streets of my old haunts of levenshulme/rusholme and the alleyways beyond your street were just one place you didn't venture.

It may look NWO/police-state-ish to those who have never lived in those areas and whilst it does seem like a draconian measure they do make a welcome addition to the feeling of security if you live there.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Taikonaut]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Anti climb paint is horrid if you get it on you. I'd guess they are trying to avoid the bad name dark alleys have. The way they are all uniform creeps me out more but then perhaps this is a council estate?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Here's a list of possible reasons the Government spent £millions on these gates.

1) To make it easier for Police to spot thugs in the streets.

2) To make it harder for burglars to break in the houses because they usually go in through the back.

3) To help the Council prevent looters from breaking in and stealing the coppers pipes/boilers etc, from the houses when people move out.

4) To make it easier for Police to capture wanted persons, they'd have nowhere to run, the Police would only need to go through the front.

5) Could have been just in case the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan got too out of hand and needed to bring in national service 1940's style. these are the very door they came banging on back in WWII.

6) To make it easier to implement marshal law (very unlikely)

Overall to create order.

A New World Order.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Those things have a sort of cascade effect in areas like that.

One row has major problems with the lane behind them for instance and the council would pay for the gates to be put up - the problem then moves in to some of the other lanes - so more gates have to be put up.

The land lords have a responsibility of care to the residents - so that includes a reasonable amount of security... Now private landlords and housing associations are under pressure to install the gates because a president has been set, so they club together and negotiate with the council for a grant towards the cost.

Sooner or later all the lanes in an area are gated.

I've personally seen the difference they can make to the communities in a part of London... I was working there one year and they were full of weeds, junk rotting rubbish, dog mess, needles, alcohol containers evidence of all sorts of activity and the residents would not dare use is night or day... Back in the same area a little less than a year later they were clean - potted plants, little wall orniments, open garden gates neighbours popping in and out for tea and biscuits - old dears out in the sun on deck chairs - they really made it their own, it was nice.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Ah so that's what happened to the community spirit. It went from the street and into the alleyways. Cool

I know where to go now when I'm bored

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
dark alleys are the skulking grounds of criminals, why wouldn't you use security gates on them to end that sort of activity?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It's not just one area in uk. That whole country is a test run for a police state. You can get arrested for taking a picture of a cop but they can watch you on camera all day.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join