It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Burka Ban in France would help stem the spread of the cancer of radical Islam"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
BBC News

A few comments from Urban Regeneration Minister Fadela Amara, speakig to the Financial Times'

Fadela Amara told the Financial Times that a veil covering everything but the eyes represented "the oppression of women".

This lady really pulls no punches:

"The burka represents not a piece of fabric but the political manipulation of a religion that enslaves women and disputes the principal of equality between men and women, one of the founding principles of our republic," she said.

France was a beacon for an enlightened Islam at ease with modernity, so it was necessary to fight the "gangrene, the cancer of radical Islam which completely distorts the message of Islam", she said.

I'm pretty sure anyone that would attempt that in the UK, muslim or not would find themselves on the end of a fatwah or something.

When does it go too far, I mean I'm sure there are honest, law abiding French muslims who beleive that it is a religious freedom to wear their burka.

Is placing a ban on wearing them an infringement of their rights?

I'm not sure such a ban would worsen the problem by making those muslims that wish to wear it feel persecuted and resticted.

I wonder if such a ban would work in the US and UK?

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
That is going to far.

I understand if they'd ask them at secure places to at least show their face, like on identification cards and at the airport, but everyday walking down the street is too far.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

It seems like a violation of rights to me. It seems to me as though the French are making judgements on religious custom that none are qualified to make.

In terms of stopping "Radical Islam", France just invited radical islam to their door. They seem to fail to understand the nature of extremists, as many have.

If it ever happened in the US, as much as I find religion silly. I would personally protest it.

join