It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States soldiers will deploy to Colombia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Some American troops will soon find themselves stationed at military bases scattered across the South American nation of Colombia with a mission to use advanced Predator drone technology to aid the fight the drug trade and combat terrorism, according to published reports Saturday.

But Colombia’s neighbors certainly do not see it that way.

In Venezuela, officials bristled. President Hugo Chavez warned, “the winds of war [are] beginning to blow.”

Chavez has already accused Colombian troops of making an incursion over the border and regional tensions are running high. Honduran de-facto President Rafael Correa also took exception, saying the United States would target Colombia’s neighbors if the deal is finalized.

“It has also sparked concern from moderate Colombian allies, such as Chile and Brazil, who want assurances that U.S. forces won’t be operating outside Colombia’s territory,” The Wall Street Journal adds.

Colombia says its agreement with the United States will allow Washington to use its military bases to track drug-runners through the use of remote aircraft.

“The Brazilian president, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, called for a meeting between US President Barack Obama and the region’s leaders, saying the ‘climate of unease disturbs me,’” reported the BBC.

rawstory.com...

The whole thing reads like a bad retro war flick.
Renting out troops and equipment to handle other countries discontent....
Whatever it takes to keep the military industrial complex rolling I guess.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Sow seeds of instability in the rest of the world to justify militant imperialism. Sounds about right to me. Also, the coc aine that the US can bring back into this country to sell to its citizens works nicely in funding black ops. Not to mention the justification it gives for extra police, judges, lawyers, prisons, prison guards, military industrial complex and prison industrial complex contractors, such as private run prisons and rehab centers. What a joke. Their game is almost over, however.

Edit: It is orwellian bullcrap that only works on a manipulated citizenry. All of our chickens come home to roost, and the illusion will soon dissolve. I have hope that we will make the right choices, and we will be able to move forward honorably, with love. Seeing the consequences to the hate, how can anyone not choose love?

[edit on 15-8-2009 by orwellianunenlightenment]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Excellent info. It would seem that the military industrial complex wants to expand their profit margins some more.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
The whole thing reads like a bad retro war flick.
Renting out troops and equipment to handle other countries discontent....
Whatever it takes to keep the military industrial complex rolling I guess.

Exactly it seems the US and Russia are both making moves from the old Cold War play book.

Venezuela-Russia military cooperation to continue -Sechin

Chavez, who has spent billions of dollars on weapons from Russia in recent years, confirmed that Caracas and Moscow were discussing purchases of Russian T-90 main battle tanks among other military equipment.

Between 2005 and 2007 Russia signed 12 contracts worth more than $4.4 billion to supply arms to Venezuela, including fighter jets, helicopters and Kalashnikov assault rifles.

top topics

join