It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Sub Fail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Russian Sub Fail

news.yahoo.com

MOSCOW (AFP) – Two Russian attack submarines are considered to have failed their secret mission in international waters after being detected by the United States and Canada, a report said on Thursday.

"If the United States and Canada really detected the foreign submarines, that means they unmasked them. This represents the failure of their military mission," the Interfax news agency quoted a source close to the matter as saying.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
What the hell are they doing 200 miles off the East coast?

I'm glad we picked it up and let them know we saw them.

However, I'm pretty sure they already knew they were going to be spotted and are just playing games as the article suggests.

Russia lost the Cold War due to a never ending war in Afghanistan that bankrupted them.

Will we lose the next?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Well we didn't rely on terror.... we just payed villagers to do it.

Also the Russians are desperate to look strong these days. The truth is they are dead inside. They've lost an entire half of their population, and the military is not as able to stop terrorism as they once could. It is simply a collapsing state.

This of course offers a repeat of 1936 Germany, but I don't think so... just yet.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I very much doubt that they "accidentally" revealed two of their subs. I am certain that they wanted to be seen.

Interesting that this happens just as the Russian cargo vessel turns up missing?

Something is definitely going on between the US, the UK and Russia.
Last night I heard a US Navy Maj Gen (his name escapes me right now but I posted it in another thread, I think he was head of Navy Institute?) on the BBC stating that he was glad it meant "at least one of" the "Soviet" subs (he then corrected himself and said Russian) off the US coast was leaving to help find it. He also suggested that there was more on that ship than just timber, he felt that the targeting of that vessel meant that there had to be something of great value or great danger on that ship. He declined to state who would have put it there or what it could be.

His use of the word "Soviet" made me chuckle. Either it was a deliberate hint at what he thinks without having to openly state it, or it was a Freudian slip, which would suggest that he views their actions as a threat.

My current theory is that Russia is planning something, and the US knows it. I am almost certain that the disappearance of that vessel was down to either Russia or the US. If the US searched it based on intelligence and didn't locate what was on board, perhaps this scared the Russians enough to send it dark deliberately to continue its course?
Did the subs turn up just after their vessel was searched? If so, this suggests that they found out about it and deliberately sent it dark to continue on its voyage unseen.
If they turned up before, I would suggest that they knew intel had been leaked and were sending a warning not to search or hinder the vessel.

Then the UK and US began searching for the missing ship, so the Russians joined in the search to keep an eye and be prepared in case it was discovered.

Something else of concern, is that there seems to be a media blackout on much of what Russia is doing.
I don't know about the US, but in the UK the Russian presence off the US has not really been mentioned at all.
There was little comment on the Russian presence in the search for it here either.

Does that sound like normal behaviour for nations previously in a state of cold war?
I mean, we were watching every move N.Korea made with deep interest and discussion, and yet Russia is starting to twitch and move into positions that seem suspiciously close to threatening behaviour and little is reported?

That tells me that certain powers want to keep a lid on the mere discussion of Russia, and probably to avoid people considering what is really going on behind the scenes.

The one thing that has me baffled in this entire situation is what was on that ship and where it was going at the behest of Russia?
Even if it was a Nuke, or a dirty bomb, I doubt Russia would be in a position right now to start a war.
Nor do I think Russia selling Nukes is likely either. Those without the ability to build them are as much a threat to Russian interests as they are to anyone else.

Knowing how Russia likes their intrigue, their games and their military toys, this is far from over.
Remember this is a nation that managed to get Polonium 210 into the UK and very publicly kill a dissenter.
You don't use a method like that and expect it to go unnoticed. That was as much a threat to the UK Govt as it was to opponents of Russian power.

To my mind there are two options that I can think of...

1. That ship was carrying arms in an illegal trade. Non-nuclear, but still illegal under international law.

2. That vessel was carrying very dangerous materials to be used by Russia in a pre-emptive attack against a nation in future months.

I am not a military strategist, I don't know a great deal about warfare or the current mindset of various powers, but I also don't think anyone should underestimate what the economic collapse of America would mean to a power like Russia. Many of us believe the complete collapse of the $ is just around the corner, if this is the case, Russia will know it, and that could be the perfect time to start something.

Either way you look at it, none of the events around Russia in the last couple of weeks make much sense to us, but they do mark a very distinct moment which suggests that we are not being told the real story.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
They've been there since the beginning of August, just mulling up and down the coast.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles
Russia lost the Cold War due to a never ending war in Afghanistan that bankrupted them.

First off...

We spent tons of money during the cold war developing ways in which to hunt and track subs. The US probably knew when they left port and using already in place methods a combination of underwater sonar nets and other resources probably never lost track of them.

The US/Canadians most likely made a public announcement to simply let the Russians and the world know that we knew where they were even if the Russians didn't know that they were being tracked.

Second The Soviet Union collapsed do to many factors, Afghanistan was just another contributing factor. Not the over riding cause.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Has anyone read Tom Clancy's Hunt for Red October.

Storyline seems remarkably similar to the OP.

CT

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

There subs were tracked we knew there there they failed this game is played all the time. Currently i guarantee there is American subs off the coast of Russia and yes even china.My guess is the Russians pulled there subs from Chinese waters for a while since currently the Chinese are pissed at them.Bet you didn't hear about this either!

The body of the Chinese motor mechanic was found off the village of Nashiro, Honshu Island, the Itar-Tass news agency reported, citing sources of the Vladivostok rescue center.A Sierra Leone-flagged vessel named New Star sank off Russia's far-east port of Vladivostok on February 15 after coming under fire from Russian coast guard vessels.

Seven Chinese crew members had remained missing before the Saturday finding.

China attached great importance to the settlement of the incident, and had lodged representations to Russia. The Russian side said it would report its investigation to China as soon as possible.

As far as the subs its just force projection it makes the Russian brass feel good that they can send subs off the coast of the United States.Though probably not happy about them being spotted.Main reason for being there tracking whats leaving Norfolk would be my guess the Russians have a severe disadvantage in naval warfare tracking. The United States knows what leaves every Russian port we have listening devices in Norway Sweden UK japan turkey Spain and Italy. And thats just the ones we know about. The Russians on the other hand don't have that ability unless of course they station subs in the Atlantic.

As for Russia being a threat we get along with them alot better than most people believe. And currently the Russians aren't going anywhere near china until things cool off but they need training so send them near the US to play cat and mouse its safer they know we wont attack them same cannot be said for China.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

yep,,im sure the navy does have some very very high tech gizmos on tracking subs,,,i also wouldnt doubt even if they knew by name a majority of the crew members,,,,

huggs

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

thanks for sharing that info!!!!!

huggs....

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Existing Breaking News thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist
Has anyone read Tom Clancy's Hunt for Red October.

Storyline seems remarkably similar to the OP.

CT

How so? I do not see a Typhoon equipped with secret caterpillar drives and a boat load of nuclear tipped SLBMs defecting to the US with Russian/American attack subs right behind them

In my opinion, they were only seen because Russia planned it. If this really was a Russian failure then Russia would probably just deny these subs as being theirs as opposed to just coming out and saying "oh sorry, these are indeed our nuclear powered submarines and they are not adequate for their mission".

new topics

top topics

join