It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello my friends - you might have forgotten something

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davood
In science class you perform experiments and provide your own observations which you then learn to interpret using evidence and logic

in bible "class" it is the opposite, no experiments are performed and you are TOLD a story instead all of which is quite literally forced down your throat

People take Bible classes because they already believe what the Bible has to say. People who think it's being "forced down their throat" don't sign up for the class.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Reply to post by Davood

Although I don't agree with religion I will never tell people what to do or what they are able to study. Bible class was for me a wake up call and in fact my way out. Try to stay away from threads like this but I am enjoying the conversation happening between you 2. Both make very good points. Keep it up

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Saying 'forced down their throats' is a little harsh. But I suppose if you were at a school where you were punished for questioning or disagreeing with religion then its understandable that you would have a negative view of it.

When I was at school we had quite a lot of religion based stuff taught to us, we had to pray every morning and then when we had lunch etc. Luckily, my parents werent christians or religious in any way so I never really believed in God.. just thought they were nice stories.

But thinking about it, it does seem quite wrong to teach young children that religion is fact when it really isnt. And while I dont think of it in a massively negative way, if you teach a child something from a young age then the vast majority arent going to question it. Just like when you're taught 1+1=2, you dont question whether it does really equal 2.
So in that respect it takes that childs choice away because they arent really equipped at that age to consider whether what they are being taught is fact or not. Im pretty sure that if children werent introduced to religion before they were say 10 years old, then there'd be a hell of alot less religious people in the world.

Personally I think they should teach kids that there are basically 3 types of people - one's who do believe in some sort of God, those that arent sure and those who flat out dont believe we were created by anything/anyone.

[edit on 063030p://f32Thursday by Bluebelle]

<< 1   >>

join