It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Universe: Probability of Intelligent Life...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The Universe: Probability of Life

Ever wonder what the actual probability of extra-terrestrial life existing outside our solar system is? The colossal size of the universe should be enough to infer the hypothesis that life is undoubtedly out there.

SOURCE: the diameter of the observable Universe is at least 93 billion light years, or 8.80 × 1026 metres

93 billion light years, such a great distance that it is almost unfathomable to contemplate! Now within the ‘VISIBLE’ universe astronomers have calculated that there are approximately 70 sextillion stars (70,000,000,000,000,000,000,000).

Our galaxy contains about 200-400 billion stars of which an estimated 100 billion earth-like planets exist according to astronomer Alan Boss(SOURCE). Of these 100 billion or so planets it is estimated that between 361 to 38,000 ‘intelligent civilizations’ exist (SOURCE).

Now lets assume that of these ‘intelligent civilizations’ each civilization is confined to one single planet. On the basis of my hypothesis I have calculated that the probability of a ‘sun-like’ star in our galaxy containing an inhabitable planet with an ‘intelligent civilization’ is .000000001805% - .000000095% (361/200,000,000,000 – 38,000/400,000,000,000) based on the above information.

On a universal scale that would be between 126,350,000,000,000 – 6,650,000,000,000,000 ‘intelligent civilizations’ based on what we currently estimate or know. However, I do understand that these numbers are based on recent speculation. For the skeptics out there, lets even say that for every trillion stars only one form of ‘intelligent life’ exists. That is, .000000000001% of stars contain a planet that could inhabited an intelligent civilization. Even with the seemingly undeniably low probability of life existing within these parameters that would be 70,000,000,000 intelligent civilizations in our ‘known’ universe!

Because of these staggering numbers I think it is safe to hypothesize that there is a very, very high likelihood of intelligent life existing throughout our universe. Without physical proof of the UFO and ET phenomenon it is impossible to definitively acknowledge that intelligent life does exist; however, I do find it to be highly likely in my opinion.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by tmayhew01]

[edit on 15-8-2009 by tmayhew01]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Thread title:

The Universe: Proof of Intelligent Life...

First sentence:

Originally posted by tmayhew01

Lulz

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tmayhew01

I think you should change your thread title, I came here expecting to be converted and than I saw Probability and Probability is not proof. Sorry mate. But your thread is the same thing I hear over and over again. And all I have to say is Probability cannot beat Randomness...

Check out jkrog08's and My debate, we go through all of this:

Is their intelligent Life in the Universe

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Hi, universe fans.

It is obvious that the calculations of the probabilities of life
in the universe becomes/results in a proof that it exist in
BIG numbers ! !

Blue skies.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles
Thread title:

First sentence:

Lulz

Isn't there an age limit on ATS? Even if there is not an age limit, there should probably be a written test.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet

Originally posted by breakingdradles
Thread title:

First sentence:

Lulz

Isn't there an age limit on ATS? Even if there is not an age limit, there should probably be a written test.

What does this post have to do with the OP?

Just taking pot shots at a fellow member and making a useless post?

Mine didn't have much content, but showed a glaring problem with the source of the claim.

There is a big difference between proof and probability, sorry I offended your belief system.

Now, since I don't want to be a total douche, I need to make this on topic by apologizing to the OP if my post was offensive as now that I re-read it, I see it may be taken that way.

I came here looking for proof, and fell out of my chair after reading the first sentence, that's all I was trying to get across.

new topics

top topics

join