It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you merely living as an echo of another human being or are you defined as yourself?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by preparanoid

You have to forgive me emotions in my house were relentlessly ridiculed, or played upon. So now I'm extra dry and satirical.

There is no doubt in my mind that memories are written in some form on DNA or RNA To what extent is the question.

Take for instance most every cat’s ability to know how to hunt and kill despite it ever being around other cats or watching and learning from his parents. They play with their dead prey not because their mean or sadistic but because it teaches them valuable lessons of the anatomy of their prey.
Instinct to me is nothing more than memories of something too important to experience first hand.

Well if you buy what I’m saying and it's at a cellular level then how do we break out of the behaviors that are clearly bad. Well I think that it's no coincidence that we are aware of our cellular level.
The point is that's the whole reason of being so self-aware, aware of the ego aware of our bad behaviors, our natural moral compass, because we humans have the very apparent unique ability to choose which path of evolution we go down.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I pulled it off with stubbornness.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by chillpill

Sometimes I like to think in terms of effective and ineffective. Morally right and wrong. Is that learned or is that instilled in every person, is that an aspect of human instinct?
Was the bible written as a reinforcement of human instinct to be morally right to each other because that morals and values trump primal instinct within a society?
So yeah I think its effects are global. But there's no proof.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zealott

You have to forgive me emotions in my house were relentlessly ridiculed, or played upon. So now I'm extra dry and satirical.

Mine, too, or non-existent or muted. No worries. =)

There is no doubt in my mind that memories are written in some form on DNA or RNA To what extent is the question.
>snip<
Well if you buy what I’m saying and it's at a cellular level then how do we break out of the behaviors that are clearly bad. Well I think that it's no coincidence that we are aware of our cellular level.
The point is that's the whole reason of being so self-aware, aware of the ego aware of our bad behaviors, our natural moral compass, because we humans have the very apparent unique ability to choose which path of evolution we go down.

And carrying it that next step, I agree, we have to choose to overcome what might be imprinted at a cellular level. It can be done.
We have a jack russell terrier. I don't know if you're farmiliar but them dogs are killing machines. Instinct bred on instinct for hundreds of years to be predators, especially of smaller rodents and animals. Yet our dog will stop chasing one of our chickens if we see her the instant she gives in to that chase/kill instinct and call her down. Stop, go to her belly and then come back, because she knows she has done the unacceptable. (and no we didn't get there by beating here, just in case anyone wonders) =) She overrides her instinct. Now if we aren't there...let's just say
Chickens: 0
Doggie: 9 (number of chickens we have lost this spring).
But, I was mentioning carrying the genetic train of thought a bit further. She stops, but her pups still have the genetic instinct even though she can overcome it. Ergo (LoL) will my son have the same problems when he grows up as I have had to overcome? The ones based on my family genetic? I believe those traits will be there, heck, I can see some already both from his biological fathers background and mine. But I have to believe that by raising him differently than I was raised, he won't have nearly the battle with it that I do.
And the good news is?? Genetics or learned (nature or nuture...wasn't this a fad in science years ago??=) , we can and are overcoming. =)
gb,
~prep

top topics

<< 1   >>

join