It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you really that UPSET about Slavery?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

This is pretty much how I feel, although I think differently about a couple things, but don't want to get into it now. As far as the school thing, I know what you mean. I grew up in a poor area and I dropped out of highschool when I was a sophomore because I had to leave home and support my sister and girlfriend but in middle school our computer room had 5 computers and kids that wanted to use them had to sign up. I've heard in recent years that they have lots of computers donated.

As far as the poverty thing, that s what I always say, its affects everyone. In my old neighborhood there was just as much white, latino and asian people as there was black people.

[edit on by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Truly, please those who preach out, and even have the audacity, to attack me, and my family merely for being of a caucasian descendent, tend to argue that my great grand pappy, was a slave owner, and for a whole entire fact, Whipped, Killed, Beat, Raped, and Violently attack slaves.

This is not true.

No, but you are the beneficiary of the advantages gained from those who not only enslaved Africans, but then kept their descendants oppressed for another century.

BUT fear not, in some few cases, this was true! This was what happened. I will admit that much.

Good for you, you're willing to acknowledge reality. Would you like a T-shirt, or are you good?

Although, I see many black americans. or I'll make it more UPC *un politically correct* Americans, speak out against the past slavery of the USA.

Yeah, imagine, the single-most defining thing to happen in the history of black Americans, and the root cause of pretty much every ounce of racism directed towards them (even the ones not descended from slaves) today, and they have an issue with it! The nerve!

You would be surprised to find that many people believe that slavery BEGAN in the United States. Wow, stomp my feet and kick my teeth, ignorance is widespread folks!

Oh yeah? Who? I have never met anyone who thinks this.

Here is a website with some, very interesting, Current Day, statistics of SLAVERY

Yes, again thank you for joining us in reality-land

I see many black americans, claiming they are African-Americans.

Africa, seems to be as a place, not to be taken to be proud of being from. From Zimbabwe to Kenya. I wouldn't want to claim, that this if were I get my pride.

Why not? Would you like a lesson in African history from the origin of our species to the current day? Even a vague perusal on the subject will reveal that Africans were doing just fine until colonization of the Americas made the African slave trade profitable, followed by European conquests and arbitrary map divisions.

27 Million People, have been proclaimed, to be Slaves, throughout the world.

Excluding Antartica

Now where is the outcry, where is the degrading cries against the tyrannical gov't.

It's all over the damn place. I just have to assume that you chose not to look, as that might undermine your argument.

Why should the US citizens, bend over, and accept blame and guilt for things, they have never done.

Why should the recipient of stolen property be held liable in a court of law?

As I said. The divides caused by America's rather checkered racial past are still in place. Many of the resulting conditions continue to go unaddressed, simply because whites "won" and thus can simply choose to ignore the problems. Just as you are doing.

Too bad those of us who's asses aren't as pasty as your own lack that luxury, huh?

We should notice this, and deny ignorance, and understand, that slavery still occurs, and instead of complaining about the past, WHICH HAS BEEN FIXED TO THE HIGHEST DEGREE POSSIBLE, and try to fix those that are still slaves, and yet, seem to be 'worthless' to those complaining about the past.

Yeah, except it hasn't been fixed at all. There are a few bandaids that exist mostly to make white people feel less guilty. Really? You think the Civil Rights Act "addresses the issue?" No, sorry, that's like if you beat the crap out of someone every day, and then one day you don't and pretend you're doing them a favor.

if yo want to deny ignorance, I suggest you educate yourself and stop spouting such ignorant crap.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer

Its same with most black people too, their skin may be brown but the average black guy or girl in the us is a combination. As matter of fact I've read that a lot of black people have "white blood" in them too or whatever the term is. Even if both parents are black.

The old saying is "There's always one in the wood pile."

If everyone wants to get technical, we are all descendant of Africans. Just really depends on how far back you want to go.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
I've never heard of a Melanin Enhanced person as yourself refer to "African Americans" as "Blacks' as much as you do... That's usually a term used by "Whites"... dunno just strikes me as odd.

Every black person in my family says "black". Not one person says "African American". Maybe it's a geographic thing or just a being real vs appearing PC thing. I don't know.

As long as you don't say "N---er" or "colored people" they won't kick your butt.

P.S. "Melanin Enhanced" is when I go to a tanning bed (so I can appear darker than I am), just like a breast enhancement gives ya bigger ta-ta's.

[edit on 8/16/2009 by Nivcharah]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
the funny thing is America..the nation, the corporation the entity never owned slaves..

the big businesses did..

when I hear about blacks going after retribution for their ancestors slavery I always find it odd they are appealing to the government...

If they feel the need for such retribution they should be going after the corporations that still exist to this day that dealt with the slaves ytrade directly!

the government has nothing to do with it... If anything black people should be thanking the government... and those that gave their life for their freedom...Its sad that is what it came down to, but that is the reality of the situation...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nivcharah

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
I've never heard of a Melanin Enhanced person as yourself refer to "African Americans" as "Blacks' as much as you do... That's usually a term used by "Whites"... dunno just strikes me as odd.

Every black person in my family says "black". Not one person says "African American". Maybe it's a geographic thing or just a being real vs appearing PC thing. I don't know.

As long as you don't say "N---er" or "colored people" they won't kick your butt.

lol thank you! Thats what I was saying. Black is not offensive. I hate political correctness lol.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

No, but you are the beneficiary of the advantages gained from those who not only enslaved Africans, but then kept their descendants oppressed for another century.

I am in NO way the beneficiary, still being though, if I was a beneficiary, I wouldn't feel guilty, because my actions today, cannot determine or influence the actions which have already happened.

Like trying to hold me responsible for hitler. Two time differences.

Good for you, you're willing to acknowledge reality. Would you like a T-shirt, or are you good?

Good show of character. (sarcasm over)

Yeah, imagine, the single-most defining thing to happen in the history of black Americans, and the root cause of pretty much every ounce of racism directed towards them (even the ones not descended from slaves) today, and they have an issue with it! The nerve!

Selective thinking, we need not look at accomplishments, but focus on hate, because it's convenient.

If you want to accept that as the most defining thing to happen to Africans. Then so be it. But I can make a long list of things I would see as defining.

A rape victim, is not defined in character by the sheer fact of the rape, but how the rape made the person stronger, and a better person.

Now if the rape victim goes on to blame all men/women (to be fair) of being evil sadistic mofos, then character is lost, even worse if majority agreed and lowered character.

It's how we respond. Kamau Kambon (if spelled right) would call upon exterminating all white people. Yay.

It's how you deal with it, if you can move on, and forgive something that happened to people you never met, and happens to ALL RACES, you'd be better off.

You sir must agree. although, I believe it's not content yet vendetta against a member.

Oh yeah? Who? I have never met anyone who thinks this.

Personal attack blah blah blah, get out some more.

Why not? Would you like a lesson in African history from the origin of our species to the current day? Even a vague perusal on the subject will reveal that Africans were doing just fine until colonization of the Americas made the African slave trade profitable, followed by European conquests and arbitrary map divisions.

Sigh, pity, pity pity, Africans sold their children, people from quite a time ago who none exist now, bought them, made them work for free. Shown in the media to be barbaricly tortueous to them. Now FEEL GUILT!!!

Just fine, well if we ask one of these descendants to go back to africa, Zimbabwe Kenya wherever, and tell them, it's much better, this place is nice, you did better over here, we're sorry to have brought you here and make your daily life hell. Here is your hut, have a good day.

How would that play out? Obama won't even go to Kenya lol.

No, sorry, that's like if you beat the crap out of someone every day, and then one day you don't and pretend you're doing them a favor.

personal subject matter, bringing up off topic nature, something that isn't close to the point. But i see it.

It's as if, my great great grandfather, beat your great great grandmothers sister.

Since then, no beating has occured. Great. thats awesome.

But now you hate me. You hate me for what someone I know nothing of personally, for what they did.I have white skin, I must of once owned slaves, i'm evil, hell is freezing over. blah blah blah.

if yo want to deny ignorance, I suggest you educate yourself and stop spouting such ignorant crap.

more personal attack, your this and that, blah blah blah, and disgusting face.

Just saying their are still slaves around, and if the anger toward people no one here met for deeds now claimed unnacceptable is so strong, why can't we move that to stop the CURRENT slavery.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

wow you really didn't address anything he said in his op you just kinda had halfassed answers that are almost clever.
just sayin'.
I like canada, where black is black and white is white, and we have barbecues outside our apartment buidings after work on friday and just get shiddered.
take a chillpill, man. Or wait till the legislation passes and then it'll be free!

fatherly advice from my native dad:

"ya can't keep score in life....you'll go nuts"

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

I tried to point out there was no direct point. It's worthless

I'm canadian and lived in canada for the conscious part for the first time a little over a year ago for the first time for about 5 months.

It was crazy, from a texan majority of life spent.

It was crazy, and cool, to see a certain lack of any racism.

I'm not sure what's the difference, but somethings gone right up there.

maybe it's the cold, theres no point in this nonsense, when it's freezing like hell! I stayed in Ontario during a blizzard

Maybe cause canada isn't known for slavery?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
And yes I do have a problem with negroids being labeled (self applied or otherwise) "african americans" if they are not in fact from africa.

I worked with a woman whose parents are college professors and black. We were talking about using the term 'black' vs "African American" and she told me her parents did a dissertation indicating all black people are originally from Africa. This surprised me because I assumed some of us were from Africa while others would be from South America, but I assumed incorrectly.

So technically, according to this research, we are all from Africa.

BTW: I am also a German Jew and I have never used either complaint in regards to slavery until I hear someone do it. It's hard to garner sympathy from someone whose heritage has had BOTH forms of slavery in the family. Never forget to never repeat the horrors.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Nivcharah

My religion preaches that life originated in africa. MAYBE EVEN IN PANGEA!

But you didn't answer the question you yourself posed.

Black, or African American.

I know black people, that call themselves, (well beside the n word to friends) african americans.

Hyphenated.

Your born in america, your an american.

Your born in africa then move to america, your an american.

I was born in canada, but spent much more time in america.

I consider myself really an american.

Not even a American-Canadian even with my dual citizenship.

Nonetheless a Canadian-american.

NONETHELESS a European-Canadian-American.

African-American, is just nicely put black, black can't be used PC, because it suggest color is being used and suggest discremenation, jackson sharpton cue in and burn my family...

We are america, we want a better america, we call ourselves americans.

I was raised here, I know the politics here, I know the way things work I am america, I know a fair to little amount of canada. I couldn't.

I would speculate, if they took the continent away and wonder where in africa they originated.

I have yet to here from a USA born black person say.

I'm a Zimbabwean-American.

lol.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I'd also like Obama to say he's Kenyan-American. Just to be PC.

Since he is political.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Legal slavery still exists today in the USA. it is done by paying people, many of them of African and Mexican descent, subsistent salaries and no benefits. Walmart loves to hire part-time employees instead of fulltime employees so they can avoid offering/paying for health and other benefits. Many of these people must work two or three jobs to get by.

There may not be iron shackles around their ankles, but there are other shackles not so obvious. Yes people can improve their lives in America, but it is hard when every waking moment is spent barely making ends meet. Every American worker deserves a living wage, even if it impacts corporate profits. Many corporations put profits above the welfare of their employees. I believe in free markets, but corporations tend to exploit the weak, the poor, and the vulnerable.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   

But you didn't answer the question you yourself posed.

Black, or African American.

I did not pose a question. I merely stated a fact.

I know black people, that call themselves, (well beside the n word to friends) african americans.

N-word to each other or amongst us is ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED! Because I am the lightest complected person in my family with green eyes, no one knows my ethnic heritage unless I tell them or they see a family portrait. I've busted fellow co-workers for being racist (black and white) for throwing that word around. That word can NEVER be used in a positive light. The same goes for Kike.

We cannot teach children that a hate word can also be a term of endearment! A hate word is a hate word. What the N-word represented 100 years ago is different now. All rappers need to STOP using the word! This is how we hold ourselves back as a people. Ask Bill Cosby and Oprah what they think of that word.

African-American, is just nicely put black, black can't be used PC, because it suggest color is being used and suggest discremenation, jackson sharpton cue in and burn my family...

Discrimination is when you say 'black' and 'caucasian', but not when you say 'black' and 'white'. I can't tell you how many times I see the former on job application forms. It's discriminatory. And it happens at the HR level. When I point it out, most fail to comprehend what I'm stating.

P.S.

The most important thing for everyone to remember:

Regardless of WHERE you were born, you were born in this lifetime as a HUMAN BEING. You are a member of the HUMAN RACE. Nothing else matters.

[edit on 8/16/2009 by Nivcharah]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

yeah it might be cause of the underground railroad thing. Or it's cause if someone says, for instance, "who, the black guy over there? his name's Phil". Then the guy asking the question goes "oh", because me and him both know that Phil is probably aware of his skin colour and is in no way ashamed with it.
...another thing...canadian black people are never lie "i'm black so..." or "being a black person I..." or anything like that cause they get laughed outta town, so to speak.
The point? no one cares.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I agree about the n word thing. Me and my friends dont call eachother it either. But a lot of black people do use it and its annoying!!!! Where I live even white and latino people use it and no one says anything! I hate it.

I blame rap music.

I have noticed most the people who use it are young. Most older people I see never use it.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

The same goes for Kike.

I fail to understand why you didn't put it K--e then, like you did N-word or put it K-word?

The rest you say infringes upon freedom of speech, and i'd really hate to go into that, really would hate to go into that, maybe a debate later on

But I choose not to say the N-word, because I wish not to offend something that, I really not for fear or respect, just don't want to be rude. I don't even say Negro, that I can at least spell out, although i've been called gringo, blanco (or however you spell it lol) and whitey, and on and on.

This is a touchy subject when coming to freedom of speech. Yikes.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Discrimination is when you say 'black' and 'caucasian', but not when you say 'black' and 'white'. I can't tell you how many times I see the former on job application forms. It's discriminatory. And it happens at the HR level. When I point it out, most fail to comprehend what I'm stating.

hey i just thought i'd chime in and say, YES. I can totally see how people might tilt their heads and give you that blank stare lol.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

The same goes for Kike.

I fail to understand why you didn't put it K--e then, like you did N-word or put it K-word?

The rest you say infringes upon freedom of speech, and i'd really hate to go into that, really would hate to go into that, maybe a debate later on

But I choose not to say the N-word, because I wish not to offend something that, I really not for fear or respect, just don't want to be rude. I don't even say Negro, that I can at least spell out, although i've been called gringo, blanco (or however you spell it lol) and whitey, and on and on.

This is a touchy subject when coming to freedom of speech. Yikes.

I have noticed that too. I dont appreciate people calling people 'n-word' but I've noticed on this site only that word is censored, but yet kike and stuff isnt! What the hell??

This is exactly the stuff that pisses people off and makes them think we complain about everything!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

I initially typed both of those examples, but both appeared vague and I was uncertain if everyone would understand either of those terms, so I changed it to clarify. I've never heard either of them stated that way myself.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join