It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you really that UPSET about Slavery?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I never owned a slave, so I could give a care less what people think of me as a caucasoid. And yes I do have a problem with negroids being labeled (self applied or otherwise) "african americans" if they are not in fact from africa.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
The only history American blacks have IS slavery.

That's simply not true.

People who grip about black peope griping are not practising empathy.

People who refuse to acknowledge that EVERY race has had to suffer slavery are the ones 'not practising empathy'. Black people don't have a corner market on having had slave ancestors.

People who constantly look backwards can't move forwards.
People who want a free ride because of what happened 200 years ago are leeches.
People who constantly blame the white man for all their woes are ignorant.
People who refuse to acknowledge that America doesn't practice slavery but that still to this day black Africa does, is just playing guilt games.

Learn history so it won't repeat itself.
Don't get hung up on it.
Don't expect people who had nothing to do with it to pay for it.

Originally posted by skindoc
I'm sure there are many white kids that were sat down and told about stories of how their families wealth came about. How the family worked hard by owning, working, breeding, and beating lazy slaves so they (the little white children) could have a future, you know what they call OLD money.

Impossible. Very few people actually could afford slaves and those few plantations that had them lost all their 'slave wealth' during the Civil War.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I have always loved that story and did research it quite extensively to make sure it wasn't just some made up BS to make my family feel better. From everything I have been able to find, it is true.

I have always thought that it was really cool that 1) the slaves were freed and many stayed with the family and 2) that the brother loved this woman so much that he purchased and then married her and had a family. Can you just imagine the hell they went through? Or maybe back then it was not such a terrible thing. After all, it was before The Revolutionary War. So, I imagine things were quite different.

One story that just blows me away is that my 3 times great grandmother didn't even know how to tie her shoes before marrying a man whose family was poor and didn't have slaves/servants. She had had her own personal servant,(a descendant of one of the freed slaves) since birth and had done everything for her, except breathe! Sheesh, I can't even imagine not being able to tie my own shoes or having a servant! Think I could probably like it though. LOL!

My family history is quite fascinating on both sides. My mother's side, until my ggg grandmother married a poor man, had the wealth and was high society up til the Civil War. The family had been some of the original settlers of both New Orleans and Mobile and owned hundreds of acres north of Mobile in the area where the Tombigbee River meets the Alabama River.
They even owned a couple of blocks of what is now Bourbon Street and some areas of what is now downtown Mobile. I have also gotten some information from other researchers in the family that Ft. Rucker stands on some of the original plantation. Don't really know if that's correct or not.

My father's side of the family came from Wales, in the early 1600's. There were 6 brothers and they were dirt poor, but full of ambition and the desire to make something of themselves. Dyess Air Force Base was named in honor of Lt Col William Edwin Dyess. a native Texan and survivor of the Bataan Death March. The USS Dyess was named for Lieutenant Colonel Aquilla James Dyess. Both cousins of my father. The Dyess family fame came from these two men in more modern times, whereas, my mom's ancestor's claim some fame in La and Alabama prior to the Civil War. Of course, none of that fame or wealth came down to our family
, but I have loved learning my family history.

Both sides fought in the Revolutionary War. One on the side of the British, then changed sides and continued the fight on the American side. Both sides fought in the Civil War.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'm of mixed descent.

I hate me.

I owe me.

Will I pay me back?

Not unless I lynch myself first.

If I do that, I'll get a hate crime passed on me.

I'll lock me up.

Then I'll have to beat myself up in prison.

I'll just forgive me.

I thank me.

It's ok, me.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
In the UK we have a TV program called “who do you think you are” that takes particular celebrity each week and traces their ancestry. One show involved a popular TV chief named Ainsley Harriot; he traced his roots back to Jamaica and needless to say he found out that some of his ancestors were slaves. The second part of the show however had him delve into another side of his family and it turned out that on that side he was descended from white slave owners.

That says pretty much everything about the futility of claiming ownership of past pain or guilt imho.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I am not upset about the slavery you refer to, in America. Yeah, it was bad. But guess what there is actual slavery going on right now, in military bases we have abroad.

The "Contractors" we hire to do menial labor at foreign military installations is 100% slavery.

www.wired.com...

Yep, slavery is alive and well in 2009, it's not happening in the US, but US tax payers are actually paying for it.

So I am pretty damn upset about the current slavery that you and I are actually funding.

voicesfromiraq.blogspot.com...

www.liveleak.com...

Israel uses lots of slave labor as well.

www.geocities.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

That sucks that you went through hell with your mom and all , I'm sorry to hear that and I hope you get through it. I never called you a liar , You did. I just remarked that it was odd of you to speak like that as no one else that I know does , It's a simple casual observation.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Not really...people seem to be more hurt than others.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

As far as slavery, there are no living slave owners nowadays.

Could Wal Mart (and therefore the wealthy western citizens) not be considered slave owners ?

Most of the "stuff" in my home was made by very poor if not penniless people many of them children, in India and China .

OK, they do the work for a few peanuts, but at the end of the day if they don't they starve and die. How different is to enslaving them in their own country to bringing them home to work and feed ?

Little Indian or Chinese children are not doing my laundry at home because they kindly make me machines (polluting whee they live) to do my chores.

How do we define slavery in the 21st century I wonder ?

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It's not that old age slavery that has them feeling this way it's the new slavery is taking hold in all our lives they just don't know as most Americans are pissed at the government and still don't know why they feel that way. White people shouldn't be solely blamed for the enslavement because whites weren't on both sides of the deal that sent us from Africa to America. I as you might see am a black African-American. i say African American because we all originate from their that's all of our motherland whether you like it or not.

Now growing up in a black family you hear the racism/ slavery speeches and rants all the time. Like they say know your history or its doomed to repeat itself, well we all know the history and it's still going to repeat just like the next civil war will be arising soon. I mean what can you honestly expect out of a country founded by the religious rights murder and almost genocide of native americans, the blood sweat and tears of a once advanced and free race, the mass deaths of millions of americans for the "freedoms" we think we have today.

When i say new age slavery many think of the slave crisis that's still going on in Africa but Im referring to the mental slavery that has entrapped us in this "Just" and "free" nation. What better way to enslave a race than by having their own race do the slaving. just turn on the T.V and look at the values they try to spread. All they want us to do is f*cking play sports,rap, dance and shuffle, degrade each other, spread division, jealousy, envy, hate, violence all in the pursuit of money and useless objects. Just think about a black person for a second i bet you think about a ghetto dope slanging mofo who'll shoot you for wearing a wrong color. the once proud and united race of blacks in this nation have been turned against each other and de-valued in the matter of decades. the degridation still continues.

That's not the only enslavement going on though We as nation are all slaves, slaves to media, slaves to technology, slaves to ourselves.It's all there on the t.v. the media has us all enslaved in some form. Just look for yourself at the revolution there starting to entice us with. We've been divided by race, religion, government standing for far too long. just remember the best way to enslave a person is not by controlling their independence but by controlling the things we depend upon to be true.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I've run into much the same thing for being white. Because of my skin color, I am automatically a descendant of a slave owner. Sadly incorrect, however.

During the slave times, my family was enslaved in Tsarist Russia, forced to work the land they didn't own, with no option to leave it. The men could be conscripted into the Russian army. Over there, things were different than they are here. If you got drafted, you would spend your life from 18 to 60 in the army. More slavery. Oh, yeah - the army didn't pay very well. They fed you and clothed you, and used you for cannon fodder.

We've still got slavery in this country. There is a scam among Russian would-be immigrants. Women are told they can make money by modeling in the US. Sounds good, but when they get here (expenses paid by the "modeling company"), they are forced to work as prostitutes. Their papers are confiscated by their captors. They are never given money, and not fed very well. They are beaten and abused, sometimes killed. This is said to happen with other ethnic groups, as well.

I'm far more concerned with present-day slavery, than with the slavery that happened over 100 years ago.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
I'm of mixed descent.

I hate me.

I owe me.

Will I pay me back?

Not unless I lynch myself first.

If I do that, I'll get a hate crime passed on me.

I'll lock me up.

Then I'll have to beat myself up in prison.

I'll just forgive me.

I thank me.

It's ok, me.

LOL just great

Just when I was thinking nothing good could come out of a thread like this.

Can you believe in 1986 in the era of apartheid I was getting beating by my maid with her damn wooden shoes? 5 year old terrorist white kid petrified of a black lady during the apartheid years. Backwards or what? Wouldn't change anything of my past due to Komba being the first black person I respected thus allowing me to see past skin colour for the rest of my life.

It's 15 years since Nelson was in charge and we still going through this rainbow transformation period. There is still some white areas a black can't go due to safety and vice versa.

He was our first black president and you have yours now. Guess I'm trying to say you are only starting your transformation now. I suppose if it was a proper transformation you'd be putting the red indians in charge

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I agree with you to an extent.

My cousin had to drop out of private school because of finances and went to public school where he was one of 2 white people. And bieng blonde haired and blue eyed, he really stood out. But it was fine.

I went to his high school graduation, and the whole speech was about how they came over on slave ships, and the history. None of it was forward thinking, about what to do with their futures, what their future had in store for them, or advice.
You can only look back so much till you hurt your neck from the effort.

But to dismiss it as ancient history isn't correct either. Slavery didn't end when slavery ended. There was still much oppression, Jim crow laws, and discrimination till recent history. And there is still segregation in many parts of the US.

It was only about 40 years ago, when blacks were allowed to marry whites, that the final laws oppressing black people were abolished. The tyrade has a long history here.

There is a long history about oppression in the white house alone.

And there are still people around who remember having to sit at the back of the bus or drink from a different water fountain.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

Could Wal Mart (and therefore the wealthy western citizens) not be considered slave owners ?

Most of the "stuff" in my home was made by very poor if not penniless people many of them children, in India and China .

OK, they do the work for a few peanuts, but at the end of the day if they don't they starve and die. How different is to enslaving them in their own country to bringing them home to work and feed ?

Little Indian or Chinese children are not doing my laundry at home because they kindly make me machines (polluting whee they live) to do my chores.

How do we define slavery in the 21st century I wonder ?

This is ridiculous. Are you honestly saying that they were better off when there wasn't any factories there to employ them?
I wonder why the massive migrations of chinese from the countryside to the city. Is it only the masochists among them that decide to abandon their idyllic lives in the country and pursue a life of oppression?
What do you propose? Should we boycott all chinese/indian products so we make the evil factory owners go bankrupt?
I'm not contesting that they work for peanuts, but for someone without peanuts in the first place, a couple of peanuts is better than none.
Child slavery is nasty and from what I hear is still in practice in some parts of the world, but surely the parents are as much to blame as the people who employ them.
My parents worked on their parents farms from an early age, funnily enough, they don't call it slavery, they call it getting by.
It's easy to look at the world from a western perspective, but my guess is that the world out there is not so black and white.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The slaves of yesterday contributed so much to the US, they contributed greately to building that capital of yours, that road through Alaska,

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
What a joke this thread is;it is so obvious that we are all slaves right now,only you just think you are free!

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

This white slavery that you speak of originated in Eastern Europe, and is very rampant over there.

In the US, it is not a big problem at all.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Excuse me. Pardon me. All the above is the biggest pile I've seen in days.
Eastern Europe - Many women down to the age of 8 have been found in sexual slavery to their pimps. They are kept uneducated, beated, killed. Many are sold throughout Europe through the Italian pipeline with a few bodies floating to shore for those who didn't make it.
Chad - Parents are killed and their children are put on the auction block. This is real (legal) allowed slavery.
USA - Russian, Eastern European, Asian .. women and men have been found to be slaves (sex or otherwise) working in factories or brothels in the US. Children (up to the age of 21) have been snatched and sold through various pipelines into the sex/slave industry. This is happening today through out the world.
Yes it appears that most people don't give a r**'s a** about modern slavery.
We are talking about slavery aren't we?

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
That's the problem with ANY group that complains about past oppression. Every race and group and stripe of human beings have suffered oppression!

Even the Irish, who I'm partly descended from, had the Potato Famine, which was probably in part at least an act of genocide done by the English people, only to come to America and be discriminated against here.

The Jews suffered a horrible holocaust, but so did the Native Americans, Australia Aborigines, Gypsies, Chinese, Armenians, Cambodians, the list goes on forever.

Even the Germans were treated like crap for centuries by the Southern Europeans, who considered them "barbarians", and this is partly why they became Nazis.

Dwelling on your victimhood is only going to continue to make people victimize you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join