It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isolationism as a serious option for America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

For your plastics, oil, textile and a bunch of others things, legalise hemp....

Hemp for Victory 1942 USDA film

Transcript of the original 1942 United States Department of Agriculture Film, Hemp for Victory extolling some of the many uses of this ancient plant and premier world resource

There is absolutely no reason the USA can not support its self. We did it for years. So we eat frozen or canned veggies instead of "imported fresh" big deal. We can grow cotton and wool, If farmers are not growing grains for the export trade, our use of petroleum based fertilizer plummets. Corn absolutely ruins the soil and needs a heavy dose of fertilizers. If I recall the Japanese have already come up with a way to use sewage sludge for growing crops without health problems.

The main problem in this country are all the protectionist laws that keep Americans from using innovation.

A classic example:
I worked at a plastics plant whose "waste oil" ( 85% of the feed stock!) could have been used as the feed stock for a sister plant 30 miles away. Because it was "classified" as a "waste" it instead had to be hauled away as hazardous waste at considerable expense and BURNED!!! That was 85% of the original petroleum toss out!!! It wasn't even used to generate electricity!!!

We really need a good hard look at all the regs and laws to see if they are counter productive and change them. Many of them are such as the one above.

I forgot to add, one of the biggest oil reserves in the world is sitting in the midwest

It has been more than a year since the Department of Interior announced that North Dakota and Montana have an estimated 3 to 4.3 billion barrels of recoverable oil in an area known as the Bakken Formation,.... Scientists Confirm U.S. Has World’s Biggest Oil Reserves

Of course the elite do not want the unwashed masses using up THEIR oil and mineral reserves, they want the preserved for the children of the privileged.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by crimvelvet]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kords21

God Bless Ron Paul.

If only America could have awaken...

Two reasons I believe Ron Paul was so successful.

1. Ive heard he is a mason. Masons designed the constitution...I believ he had some real behind the scenes support. Remember all that money he raised?

2. Truth. His words (even though not normally elequantly put) ring of truthfulness. No ego. No main stream b.s. as all the other candidates and pundits spew. Just plain truth.

It would seem America has becomes more juvenile the older it gets. Seems to go hand in hand with the complaceny that has been seeping into our politics, standards, virtues and individual lives...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kords21

Like him or not he does tell it like it is.
I wish more people would watch or read what he has said.

Sad really!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
reply to post by Office 4256

You bet - Somalia stoic.

Funny. Even in the 1700s the lifestyle and technological advantages here in America and societal infrastructure was greater than that of todays Somalia.

So you mind giving any sort of credence to that blunt uninformed statement?

As soon as the American people had the smallest clue what they would give up, they would hang you from the nearest lamp post.

Wrong again mate...(in my opinion....
)

As soon as America realizes it doesnt need the 500 billion dollars worth of useless crap that America gets barraged with you would see an awakening like no other by the very Americans that pawn that very same crap.

Just a question, but why are so many Americans so fascinated with eighteenth-century ideas?

Not hardly 18th century. These ideas go back quite a ways..Since before the Roman Empire when Greek city states put different trade embargos and things of that sort on outside goods coming into their economies...

Where they gave a crap about freeing the people outside their borders. Until there was an outside threat that threatened all of them; their militarys were very isolated...

There is a reason soverignty is underminded by the rich elite...to help spur globalization and keep their pockets lined with gold...

You can be for this way of the elitist attitude or a more traditional sense wher everyone can benefit...not the select few... The way everyone benefits is starting with your home and building a foundation there first. Not building a foundation outide your borders so the people can buy cheaply made crap... Who does this benefit? The laborer who makes 25 cents an hour or the executives of the corporations who have taken advantage of the non-existant labor laws in the porr countries?

No matter how you look at it, exploitation is proliferated in todays world economies...

edit for typos

[edit on 18-8-2009 by open_eyeballs]

Interesting theoretical libertarian jibberish. Try this out and let me know how it works out. I've just wrapped up 22.5 yrs. gathering and sifting global economic intelligence, among other things. I'm fairy certain that my opinions are "informed" rather than"uninformed". Don't bring a knife to an economics gun fight.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Office 4256

I've just wrapped up 22.5 yrs. gathering and sifting global economic intelligence, among other things.

Well, by all means lay it out on the table for all to see...We'll be waiting...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
Isolationism has never worked and will never work.. especially with the world markets, countries and people as interconnected as they are at the moment.

It would send the US back to the stone age as well as damaging the Global economy quite a bit. When the US finally emerge to the open market again, it will be a decade behind the rest of the developed world.

Finally, don't you think that if you stopped importing, other countries would stop importing your products and begin to ban your franchise exports etc?

What kind of problems do you think this would cause?

While I agree that isolationism is not the preferred path,I don't think it would send us back to the stone age. The majority of tech advances come from the US now.
Protectionism would be the way for the country to get back on top of things. Protectionism is practiced by most countries. Foreign governments charge us higher import tarriffs than we charge them. They protect their jobs in this way.
Before the influx of cheap imported goods in the 60's,the US economy was robust. There were more jobs available than there were workers to fill them. We need to get back to a more protectionist mindset.To keep America first,buy American products first!!!!

<< 1   >>

join