It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go see the movie DISTRICT 9

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
What an amazing picture. I wont give some long winded personal review. The movie was so good that I had to tell people in here to go see it. Believe the hype, this was THE! best Alien "invasion" movie to come out in a very long time. It was very original. If this movie came out earlier in the summer it would have embarassed all the UN-Original PG-13 garbage in the theature. A thinking mans movie, with just enough of the wow special effects factors. Compassionate, thrilling, and sometimes funny in a "non-cheesy" way. I cant say enough about

DISTRICT 9

Jason

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonspaz

I am going to see that tomorrow... can't wait looks good...

could this be unintentional subconscious revelations from the producers about what is to come??

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Peter Jackson.
What else can I say. Nice one Kiwi

If you like that, check out his previous work such as 'Bad Taste', 'Braindead' and 'Meet the Feebles'.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I've seen the movie and unfortunately was extremely disappointed in it. There were too many unresolved and glossed over items and the basic premise of the movie (alien refugees) and the governments treatment of them extremely unrealistic.

By all means, go see it for yourself but don't be regretfull afterwards thinking you paid good money to see such a disappointing movie.

Score: 3 out of 10

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
Peter Jackson.

it is "presented by" peter jackson. he stamped his name on it (i also believe he financed some of it IIRC.) and thats about it.

he did not write or direct it.......

directed by neil blomkamp

written by neil blomkamp
screenplay written by terri tatchell

cheers,
AA

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Some very harsh critics are giving this movie 5 / 5 stars. The first film I've seen them do it for since Dark Knight.

I've had high hopes for it since I heard Alive in Joburg was being turned into a feature film, and it seems that they weren't misplaced.

I'm going to see it as soon as it arrives in my hick town.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonamousantichrist

Originally posted by aorAki
Peter Jackson.

it is "presented by" peter jackson. he stamped his name on it (i also believe he financed some of it IIRC.) and thats about it.

he did not write or direct it.......

directed by neil blomkamp

written by neil blomkamp
screenplay written by terri tatchell

cheers,
AA

Ah the great Neill Blomkamp who hasn't directed anything I've heard of. This is his 4th movie and the rest of his career was doing 3d amination. So even though I haven't seen one commercial or preview for this movie I can be sure its special effect intensive. What do they call that? An "effects-driven" movie.

Terri Tatchell has done nothing else...

just saying...

Vas

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Excellent movie.
Don't believe the hype, that it's an Alien Nation rip off.
Granted there are some similarities, but not once did I even consider it in the same category.

This is an awesome movie.
The entire role reversal is played very well.

The emotion of the alien lead is captured excellently.

My only trouble with the premise, a lack of explanation of certain aspects.
I have no doubt that those issues will be resolved in a sequel.
3 Years is a long wait though.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I saw it tonight and was kind of disappointed with it, the action was good, it made humans seem like horrible creatures...but it also made the alien seem not so good. When they worked together they found common ground...but I think they could have done a much better job at emotionally connecting us with the aliens etc, instead of the pointless explanations at the beginning.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth
What do they call that? An "effects-driven" movie.

Just because a film is 'effects intensive', does not mean it is automatically 'effects-driven'. Granted, many are, but there have been many VFX heavy films that have been completely story driven.

Also, Peter Jackson is actually a producer on the film, and Neill Blomkamp was signed on to direct the Halo movie for PJ before things went south.

I can't wait to see this film, every review I've seen has been positive.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
I've seen the movie and unfortunately was extremely disappointed in it. There were too many unresolved and glossed over items and the basic premise of the movie (alien refugees) and the governments treatment of them extremely unrealistic.

By all means, go see it for yourself but don't be regretfull afterwards thinking you paid good money to see such a disappointing movie.

Score: 3 out of 10

How exactly can you call that unrealistic when you have nothing in reality to base it on?

You've seen how the government treats aliens (off-world, not earth-based) that they keep detained to a special area?

Ah the great Neill Blomkamp who hasn't directed anything I've heard of. This is his 4th movie and the rest of his career was doing 3d amination. So even though I haven't seen one commercial or preview for this movie I can be sure its special effect intensive. What do they call that? An "effects-driven" movie.

Terri Tatchell has done nothing else...

I don't even know waht to say about this post.

What they did before or the amount of work they've done before doesn't mean anything at all.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by nightmare_david]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
just saw it.

pretty good. there were gaps, as mentioned, but probably just to fuel a sequal.

it was fun. i enjoyed it.

the 'prawn' were really cool, so was the technology.

i would comment further and elaborate but don't want to blow it for anybody.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Some aspects of the film were good but I wouldn't say it was a great film.

WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
Possible plot spoilers follow.

The focus on the aliens made it more interesting than Independence Day. The actual aliens look a bit like they were made of paper mache or something. I don't know if they were models or CGI but I am guessing models. The actual surface textures didn't look real to me so I am guessing that might be the reason they were all painted up and festooned with all sorts of distracting bits of clothing.

A lot of people are making a big deal about the movie being some sort of statement on apartheid. It is obvious that a movie made in South Africa in a closed off segregated shanty town would have to evoke all sorts of allusions to SA's apartheid history.

One thing I couldn't figure out was why the aliens have all these incredibly powerful weapons but don't use them to resist the incursion into District 9 for the forced resettlement - or for that matter to break out of District 9 to pillage for food and better shelter?

Much of the storyline is quite contrived - and there are many parts borrowed from old classic Sci-Fi - like "The Fly".

I did think that the location made the movie interesting to watch. The secondary conflict between MNU corporation and the Nigerian gangs was also interesting and is an interesting comment on the direction our societies are headed in the future. I also liked the phony "newscasts" which provided instant coverage of events but also instant false reporting, like it was all written by MNU.

The movie could have been made better if there was greater reasoning brought to the plotlines but I still think it was an interesting movie.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
awesome! Fiance and I are actually planning a little date night which includes going out to eat and then to see district 9.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
There are only a handful of films I've seen in my 30-year-old life where I left the theater in complete amazement. District 9 was one of them.

Like every movie, it has it's flaws... But District 9 was so good that I actually saw it twice.

GO see it...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Since the worst is going through an economic depression greater than that of the 1930s, many of you will not be able to spend money to go see a film.

It can be found here:

[redacted]

*This post will self-destruct in 1 hour - afterwards it will read only as 'redacted'.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I am downloading it as we speak.
Going to watch it now.

Edit to add...I just finished it and that was quite the amazing movie for sure.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
my favorite part...when he shoots the big gun, in the building and the alien says "F***"
haha

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
In case anyone hasn't been up on this movie (cant imagine here
) the six-minute-and-change original short Alive in Joburg will give you an idea...the cop at 3:17 (Sharlto Copley) is the lead in District 9...does an admirable job of carrying the film along, too.

...pretty powerful for a 6 minute short, IMO...

CDS

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
This movie is great. Anyone who says it is "unrealistic" has no knowledge of the history of South Africa.

It has everything. Great Story. Comedy. Drama. Action, oh Lord the Action.

This is an instant classic. Don't listen to the naysayers, District 9 is a must-see.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join