It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about astronomy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Hello!

I am not a pro in astrology, and I have a question about astrology.(obviously)

I was wondering: If I see a star somewhere in the sky at 4 AM today, and I come back tomorrow at 4 AM, would the star still be at the same place?

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
The North Star would be in the same position but all others would be in a slightly different position. The next year they would be in the same place though, except the planets and Moon.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
To add to my last post all of the stars would be in the same position relitive to each other. Otherwise its not a star.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
If it was a star (and not a planet), it would be close to the same location where you saw it. However, over the course of a year, it would appear to move around the world, so to speak. The stars appear to form a sort of shell that slowly rotates around the earth. In a year, the star would move until it eventually found its way back to where you originally saw it.

This apparent motion is what causes the zodiac signs to change each month.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Wow thanks guys, it's pretty interesting.

I love 2 line policy!

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Although I am not a professional astronomer I would like to remind you that there is a clear distinction between astrology and astronomy. The former is archaic pseudo-science and the latter a basically fruitless endeavor, however, the distinction is worth understanding.

In regards to your question the star would not be in the same location relative to the Earth (your viewpoint), however, if the stars distance was great enough that change in relative location could be undetectable to the unaided eye. This is likely if only observing over a two day period.

I hope this answers your question and clears up any confusion, let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Truthfully,
Shane

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by randolrs1
Although I am not a professional astronomer I would like to remind you that there is a clear distinction between astrology and astronomy. The former is archaic pseudo-science and the latter a basically fruitless endeavor, however, the distinction is worth understanding.

Truthfully,
Shane

while I dont read my stars in the local rag every morning and not into astrology, to dismiss it as you have in favor of another pseudo science called astronomy is a little bit un-fair.

What I am trying to say is the the spirit rhelm a pseudo science over the physical rhelm because modern science cant measure or calculate things of the spirit??!!

There is a lot of cross over between the 2.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
From a 'practical' sense the stars stay in the same place from year to year. That of course isn't true since the axis of the Earth is wobbling ever so slowly which changes the positions of the stars. This is called Precession and takes 26,000 years to complete so only on August 16, 26,2009 will the stars be in the exact position as they are today.

http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession_(astronomy)#Changing_pole_stars

Edited to add a space between // and en so you can see the whole link...or else it takes you to the wrong wiki article lol.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Louther]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Deep Thoughts

Hi Deep Thoughts.

You got good answers here. . . B-)

Now, can you figure out, how come, one day on the moon
is 14 earth-days long ???? B-)
or,
can you figure out, how come there IS NO dark side of the moon ???

Blue skies.

top topics

join