It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bob Dylan detained for "suspicious activity"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It was in the latin quarter , maybe not arrested , probably just a spanish harlem incident . Maybe just someone the authorities came to blame for something that he never done. But maybe it is understandable , he looking all dishevelled and his hair all blowing in the wind like that.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Bob Dylan, one of the surviving greats. And one of the remaining hippies that didn't become yuppified at a certain age.

It just shows how much we still judge others' by their appearance.

Still, at least he didn't make a big stink, throw a baby tantrum like most famous people would. He's still cool in my book.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Gun Totin Gerbil

he wasnt arrested they drove him back to his bus,You and me they would have left in the rain.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well you can see what happened. They saw someone acting suspiciously , and they thought one of them better call up the cops . So they call up the cops , and they arrive on the scene with their red lights flashing in the hot new jersey night . Then a cop pulled him over to the side of the road . Just like the time before and time before that if you look out of place . In New Jersey , thats just the way things go . If your look like a hobo you might as well not show up on the street , less you wanna draw the heat .

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Seems he likes to go walkabouts on his concert tours, nothing wrong with that . Went unrecognized on a minibus tour to John Lennon's childhood home in Liverpool recently.

Dylan unnoticed on Beatles tour

Folk legend Bob Dylan mingled unnoticed with Beatles tourists during a minibus tour to John Lennon's childhood home.
The 67-year-old troubadour paid £16 for the public trip to the 1940s semi in Woolton, Liverpool, last week as his European tour called at the city.
He was one of 14 tourists to examine photos and documents in the National Trust-owned home, where Lennon grew up with his aunt Mimi and uncle George.
A National Trust spokeswoman said Dylan "appeared to enjoy himself".

The trust said its tours of the Beatle's childhood home form "an insight into his humble beginnings".
Visitors are free to wander around the property while asking questions of the curator.

But as tourists prepared to drive out to the house to get an insight into one musical icon, they did not recognise another one sitting next to them.
"He took one of our general minibus tours. People on the minibus did not recognise him apparently," the spokeswoman said.
"He could have booked a private tour but he was happy to go on the bus with everyone else," she added.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I cant blame her for not recognising him, I seen him live a few years ago and I didnt know he was singing The Hurricane until half way through the song, and I wasnt smoked out like shotgun Willie.

It seems like kind of a silly story really. I find it strange both him and Nelson are often linked to the illuminati and often seem to play devils advocate.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Vaast
Who knows what he was doing when the person who reported him saw him?

And let's be honest -- he does look like a scruffy old man

word for word of what I was gonna say!

he coulda been snoopin around. curious bob? right. He is a musician, as am I..
We are interested in everything.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Right, in this pop/ youth oriented society your strange

- if you allow yourself to age without getting plastic surgery to try and look like you did 40 years ago
- if you go for a walk in the rain
- if you go for a walk in a Latino neighbourhood and are not Latino (replace Latino with any other descriptor and the analogy still works
)
- if you are curious about things and wanna see for yourself just to see
- if your famous and don't brag about it.

jeesh!

he's just a normal old guy - how refreshing is that?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
Bob Dylan *is* a scruffy old man. Last I heard, that wasn't illegal. I think a whole lot depends on what Bob was doing to attract attention. If he was just minding his business, then this could be a problem. But if he was doing something worrisome, the stop might be justified.

At any rate, this isn't really anything new. In Dylan's day (and mine, partly) we could be picked up for being scruffy *young* men, usually wearing long hair, a beard, and jeans. That was often enough to get you hassled by the police, who hated hippies and pretty much anyone who wasn't just like them.

The 22-year-old cop probably never heard of Dylan. He's not exactly top 40 material right now. If he puts out an album, older folks will run to buy it, but younger people have their own artists and heroes. Dylan isn't one of them, any more than Dizzy Gillespie was one of my heroes.

He did have a number 1 album, what last month or 2 months ago. He's still kickin!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gun Totin Gerbil
Seems he likes to go walkabouts on his concert tours, nothing wrong with that . Went unrecognized on a minibus tour to John Lennon's childhood home in Liverpool recently.

Dylan unnoticed on Beatles tour

Folk legend Bob Dylan mingled unnoticed with Beatles tourists during a minibus tour to John Lennon's childhood home.
The 67-year-old troubadour paid £16 for the public trip to the 1940s semi in Woolton, Liverpool, last week as his European tour called at the city.
He was one of 14 tourists to examine photos and documents in the National Trust-owned home, where Lennon grew up with his aunt Mimi and uncle George.
A National Trust spokeswoman said Dylan "appeared to enjoy himself".

The trust said its tours of the Beatle's childhood home form "an insight into his humble beginnings".
Visitors are free to wander around the property while asking questions of the curator.

But as tourists prepared to drive out to the house to get an insight into one musical icon, they did not recognise another one sitting next to them.
"He took one of our general minibus tours. People on the minibus did not recognise him apparently," the spokeswoman said.
"He could have booked a private tour but he was happy to go on the bus with everyone else," she added.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Things like this are the reason i love Dylan.

I went to his concert at the Liverpool Echo, twas epic. Me and a friend were thinking about going on that tour the day Dylan went! Obviously i am heartbroken

He does it all the time though. I remember one story when he was on tour about all his management etc going crazy because Bob was due to do an interview and they couldn't find him anywhere.

When they eventually did he was sleeping under his tour bus! Someone woke him and said 'Bob, you got an interview to do!' and he said 'why do you think im under this bus!'

No doubt he will turn this little incident into an epic 8 minute song about injustice and prejudice.

He was only enjoying a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood. Who called the fun police?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
That the woman felt the need to call police over him peering into the window of the neighbor's house that was for sale is probably a reflection of the tone of the neighbourhood as much as anything. My guess was that for her that behaviour is often associated with a security risk.

I'm older. I love to go for walks in neighborhoods that are new to me. I also love to walk when its raining, and at night. I've always been a novelty freak and old age hasn't changed that.

What I am having trouble getting used to is that I am becoming the novelty in a world where most people are younger than me. I refuse to be held back tho by other's expectations of what an old geezer should and shouldn't do.

I can relate to Mr. Dylan. We old guys gotta keep those younguns upset, just like we use to do to the older gen. when we were young.
But now its reversed

Oh, and yes, the cops scare the b'jesus out of me sometimes when all I am doing is walking.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
"Suspicious activity?" I guess for Bob Dylan that's singing on key.

It was a joke...that so happens to be true.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
To be honest, I didn't know he was still alive and I like his older stuff. I even have a few of his albums.

If I asked him who he was and he said Bob Dylan, but didn't have any ID I would be a little suspicous also. How many famous people go walking in the rain in a low to mid income neighborhood looking in empty houses dressed in jeans and jean jackets?

Just because they are famous doesn't mean they are easily reconizable. Dolly Parton once lost a Dolly Parton look alike contest.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Bob Dylan on Doppelgangers

doppels.proboards.com...

[edit on 17-8-2009 by faulconandsnowjob]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
It says the officer is 22.
She's just a kid.
Probably never seen BobDylan.

And her name is "Buble"

But her partner asked the singer why he had been walking in the rain

So you can't walk in the rain in Jersey without a good reason?

But then Bob always did have that 'shady' look about him

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
You know, this really makes me question what you people over there consider to be "freedom". Do you really have to "fit in" to the scenery in order to be left to your own devices? Does that mean that you will have segregated neighborhoods based on your appearance? Why do people have to carry ID at all times? Why do we have to do it at all? If you step outside of what you accept as "today's world" and look genuinely at the state of existence, how in the world do you accept the things you do as de rigueur or worse, de facto.

Freedom? I think you're paying sarcastic lip service to the word.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It sometimes feels like there is no freedom here, or if there is it comes at a great price!
You are free to look anyway you want; especially down in the states; but the price is rejection, scoffing, finger pointing, generalization and mistrust.

I dated this girl once who refused to go out of the house before she "put her face on". Even just to the corner store. She was beautiful in my opinion just the way she was naturally, but to her it was simply not good enough. She was just that worried about other people's opinions.
I take it as one of my reasons for being here -- to try and find the real me and show it to the world regardless of how far off the norm that might be.
Sort of.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join