It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bob Dylan detained for "suspicious activity"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Bob Dylan detained for "suspicious activity"

www.examiner.com< br />

After police received a call that an “old, scruffy man” was acting suspiciously in Long Branch’s Latin Quarter, a 22-year-old female officer stopped Dylan and demanded that he identify himself. Dylan complied and explained that he was visiting the seaside community to perform at a concert with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp. Not believing his story, the officer detained Dylan in the back of her car and drove back to his hotel to investigate his story.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Updated to add, i believe my original source is biased towards some agenda, as this quote shows:

This is what happens when blue-suited government employees are free to arrest and terrorize people on a whim. This is also another consequence of identity politics based on an ugly ethnic and racial groupthink. Dylan was walking in a predominantly Latin neighborhood, and the old legend apparently didn't "fit in."

Which the article on CNN hereis lacking, so, it maybe it didn't really happen as my original source says.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Kaifan]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
LOL? i don't know what else to say, at first i thought this was a joke, but upon reading, i realized this is a case of 'i live under a rock, where do you live?'

That this is Bob Dylan and not some regular guy has no meaning at all, but why would you call the police because you *think* some old man is acting strange? who do you think you are? this, at least for me, shows how ridiculous and self centered people are these days, and how easy they have been brainwashed to think anyone 'not normal' is dangerous.

Really don't know what else to say.

www.examiner.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Kaifan]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Who knows what he was doing when the person who reported him saw him?

And let's be honest -- he does look like a scruffy old man

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Perhaps that says something about Bob Dylan?

This is odd. Why should he be detained? I mean, shouldn't his agent or someone rush over there and have him released?

This is weird.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Beethoven used to get picked up by the police in Vienna and run into the drunk tank all the time at the height of his fame and the police would never believe him either at 4:30 AM in the morning reeking of alcohol and disheveled.

Thank heavens it wasn’t Keith Richards, he would have scared the poor woman police office to death. Talk about night of the living dead.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

wow that story sure did change in the 10 mins since I read it on CNN.

CNN's story says they simply asked who he was and what he was doing.. Dylan then "Showed them to the tour buses" where they were parked with Willy Nelson and some other guy.

He was looking into the window of a house for sale...

How lucky do ya gotta be to have Bob Dylan roaming around your neighborhood? lol

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
It says the officer is 22.
She's just a kid.
Probably never seen BobDylan.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
And he didn't get tazered?

Though it does (again as stated before by another poster) say a lot about society when people report old men to cops.

How sad is that...

peace

EDIT: *Waves HI up to BadgerPants*

[edit on 15-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Bob Dylan *is* a scruffy old man. Last I heard, that wasn't illegal. I think a whole lot depends on what Bob was doing to attract attention. If he was just minding his business, then this could be a problem. But if he was doing something worrisome, the stop might be justified.

At any rate, this isn't really anything new. In Dylan's day (and mine, partly) we could be picked up for being scruffy *young* men, usually wearing long hair, a beard, and jeans. That was often enough to get you hassled by the police, who hated hippies and pretty much anyone who wasn't just like them.

The 22-year-old cop probably never heard of Dylan. He's not exactly top 40 material right now. If he puts out an album, older folks will run to buy it, but younger people have their own artists and heroes. Dylan isn't one of them, any more than Dizzy Gillespie was one of my heroes.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I don't understand why he was detained, he showed an ID, why did she need to drive him back to the hotel? Just how weird does one have to act to have the same thing happen to them?

Bob Dylan, man, I would'a loved to have run into him!

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Maybe obama will invite the cop and bob dylan over for a beer???

Bob as hes being handcuffed: "this is what happens to hippies in america!!!"

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
CNN's version (also from the wire of the AP)

The rock legend was stopped in July by police in Long Branch, New Jersey, who were responding to a call about a suspicious person roaming the neighborhood, police said.

According to Long Branch Police Department Sgt. Michael Ahart, Dylan had been peering into a window of a house that was for sale, which prompted a neighbor to call the police on July 23.

One of two responding officers, Officer Kristie Buble, 24, approached Dylan and asked him for his name.

"She recognized the name, she just really didn't believe it was Bob Dylan," Ahart told CNN. "He was soaking wet because it was raining and he was wearing a hood."

So Buble asked the musician for identification, but he had none.

Buble and her partner, Officer Derrick Meyers, 24, then asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them to where his tour buses were parked. Once they arrived, Dylan showed them identification.

"Dylan was really cool about the whole incident," Ahart said. He said he asked the singer why he had been walking in the rain and was told, "I just felt like going for a walk."

Dylan, who is on a national tour with musicians Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp, was in Long Branch on the Jersey shore prior to his performance at a baseball stadium in nearby Lakewood.

The OP's story is very different.. even the officers age is different.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Story got out before the Usual Suspects could clean it up ?

Or .. publicity ?

sounds like the official version now is one of: ' Nothing to see here folks, move away, move aside please '

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
sounds like a attempt to drum up support for local LEO. that said, willie was arrested passing through a small town in oklahoma after a search of his bus revealed a large amount of ........ and a large amount of ........

i cant say much more or i risk breaking rules.... dang it lol.

cheers,
AA

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Bob Dylans one of my favorite musicians of all of time! Shame on that person that didnt recognize him, its sad young people these days dont recognize and know the musical greats. They think their crappy rap music and emo rock is the best thing ever. Its sad.

I doudt he was up to anything, just being Bob Dylan, hes always been a kind of weird guy!

edit: After reading more it looks like they didnt really say he was up to anything, they just id'd him it looks like.

[edit on by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
WOW! The police didn't tase him!

He wasn't arrested. He wasn't handcuffed.

This appears to be a drummed-up nonevent.

Rock legend Bob Dylan was treated like a complete unknown by police in a New Jersey shore community when a resident called to report someone wandering around the neighborhood.

Dylan was in Long Branch, about a two-hour drive south of New York City, on July 23 as part of a tour with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp that was to play at a baseball stadium in nearby Lakewood.

A 24-year-old police officer apparently was unaware of who Dylan is and asked him for identification, Long Branch business administrator Howard Woolley said Friday.

"I don't think she was familiar with his entire body of work," Woolley said.

The incident began at 5 p.m. when a resident said a man was wandering around a low-income, predominantly minority neighborhood several blocks from the oceanfront looking at houses.

The police officer drove up to Dylan, who was wearing a blue jacket, and asked him his name. According to Woolley, the following exchange ensued:

"What is your name, sir?" the officer asked.

"Bob Dylan," Dylan said.

"OK, what are you doing here?" the officer asked.

"I'm on tour," the singer replied.

A second officer, also in his 20s, responded to assist the first officer. He, too, apparently was unfamiliar with Dylan, Woolley said.

The officers asked Dylan for identification. The singer of such classics as "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Blowin' in the Wind" said that he didn't have any ID with him, that he was just walking around looking at houses to pass some time before that night's show.

The officers asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them back to the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, where the performers were staying. Once there, tour staff vouched for Dylan.

The officers thanked him for his cooperation.

"He couldn't have been any nicer to them," Woolley added.

How did it feel? A Dylan publicist did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment Friday.

You're Bob Dylan? NJ police want to see some ID

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
What was probobally happening was that Dylan was going into high-end places such as designer shops or resturants, and dressed as he was this raised suspicion. But I guess the people who work at these places know their celebs as they work with them all the time (celebs generally keep friends between themselves.)
So the member of public was thinking they were doing a good deed, busting a drug ring or something but obviously is too self-opinionated to mind their own buisness and let others get on with their lives without being hassled.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It is strange , such a famous person and he has to deal with this police officer like a complete unknown. At least when he gets arrested he is out of the rain , shelter from the storm . The times are a changing when american idols are recognized and legends are mistaken for hobos , or is it just a simple twist of fate.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gun Totin Gerbil
It is strange , such a famous person and he has to deal with this police officer like a complete unknown. At least when he gets arrested he is out of the rain , shelter from the storm . The times are a changing when american idols are recognized and legends are mistaken for hobos , or is it just a simple twist of fate.

Arrested?

Fabrication?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join