It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HAHAHA! Democrat Led Government Buys Foreign Cars - Cash For Clunkers!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Our government is so mentally challenged that they are now in the business of subsidizing foreign car sales. Eight out of 10 cars purchased through the Cash for Clunkers program is from a foreign country.

We do not deserve to continue to exist as a civilization. We must have become the dumbest society to ever live on Planet Earth.

What will these geniuses think of next? Cash for Crappy Plastic Stuff? Cash for Crappy Appliances? Cash for Lead Tainted Toys? We must give the Chinese more money.

Who else can we help? How about Cash for Burguas? How about Cash for Russian Vodka?

I am throwing in the towel. I am going to sign up for Chinese Language classes first thing Monday morning.

This whole country has turned into one giant version of a never ending Special Olympics. No offense to the Special Olympics intended.

Source

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HotDogNoBun

Hello there happy person ...

How about Cash for Burguas?

What's a Burgua?

Our government is so mentally challenged that they are now in the business of subsidizing foreign car sales. Eight out of 10 cars purchased through the Cash for Clunkers program is from a foreign country.

Government data shows that while 54 percent of the top-10-selling vehicles were manufactured domestically
your source.

This whole country has turned into one giant version of a never ending Special Olympics. No offense to the Special Olympics intended.

Pure class.

I won't bother you with the details of how the global economy works or any silly environmental talk ... they're not as funny.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Well I probably misspelled Burqua.. but it is the thing all the Muslim women wear... and some non muslims too.. they were in fashion a few years ago.

Read the source of my post.. It is linked at the bottom. 8 out of 10 of them were from foreign owned companies. Who cares if they were made here when all the profits go back to Asia? So we got a bunch of guys $20/jobs. Hell, we could have just paid them to sit home for what we handed to the Asian market.

Thanks for not boring me about how the global economy works because I fully understand it. You must also understand how a local economy works. When you give all your money to someone else its not yours anymore.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by HotDogNoBun

So we got a bunch of guys $20/jobs.

How nice that you're flippant about such trivialities ...
I'm sure the "bunch of guys" fell the same way.
But then again it's hard to be ideological when you have a family to feed.

When you give all your money to someone else its not yours anymore.

I drive a Ford crown vic ... not the goverment kind

Anyhoot, carry on ...

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

How nice that you're flippant about such trivialities ...
I'm sure the "bunch of guys" fell the same way.
But then again it's hard to be ideological when you have a family to feed.

Yeah see that is the kind of thinking that got us into this huge mess. Lets worry about the short term and make sure everyone avoids a little pain, no matter what the cost.

This is the same logic that everyone uses to vote for people like Obama who promise to take all of their problems away, but their very policies take us one more giant leap to the collapse.

How about we quit spending money we dont have to try to manipulate peoples behavior? How about we learn how to build a car at a price and quality level that can compete with foreign automakers?

Did you read the article? American cars were the vast majority traded in to get the foreign cars. Why is this? I will tell you why, because of unions and redistribution of wealth and over regulation of business or too stringent environmental laws and the fact the GM, Ford, and Chrysler have gotten away with making crap cars for way too long.

So instead of taking a fraction of the money and using it to invest in R&D and how to get lazy, overpaid union workers to be productive we spend it subsidizing the purchase of cars from foreign auto manufacturers.

Pure genius.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by HotDogNoBun]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
It is kinda messed up that we didn't attach some strings to the program. At the very least we should have limited the purchases to cars primarily manufactured in the U.S. Yeah I know that would have hurt Canada and Mexico, plus all other imports, but I am more concerned about us at the moment and it's our money we are spending. I would like to see it benefit our economy in the greatest way possible.

Many Chrysler and GM Dealerships just don't have any more cars to sell till the plants restock them. People wanting to "Buy American" can't and will probably look at other Non American options.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by pavil]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Yeah that would have been a better idea to have it be cars manufactured by US manufacturers, but that would have probably gotten all the exports tariffed.

I think a better idea would have been to not spend money we dont have to try to manipulate the behavior of the buying public.

I do doubt the American companies suddenly ran out of cars as there have been tons of them just sitting in holding areas for the last year or more because nobody was buying them. But maybe the Asians are geniuses and can predict the future and knew that there would be a sudden upswing.

It is amazing how they can get cars to market all the way across the globe faster than an American car company can.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I thought nafta was supposed to lift restraints on limits to free trade. Can america just decide when it is/isn't in nafta?
how about canada starts chargin' out the ass for natural resources?
see what I mean?
you can't just pick and choose whic contracts you're gonna keep. Actually, just recently municipal contracts in canada will no longer be limited to canadian businesses, but american as well. I'm not sure if this is on a municipal,provincial, or national level but hey, we're sharing.
We can smell your desperation down there but let's not burn any bridges.
I'm sure there's SOME country somewhere who likes, well, um, every resource you can think of.

edit: except for baby seals.
we're running low.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by heyo]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

You misunderstood me....you could still buy a car made elsewhere, it just shouldn't have been eligible for the Cash for Clunkers (a U.S. Government) Program. Every other country can have a similar program for all I care.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
At least they are trying. Repubs just want to give more tax breaks to the top 1% earners, drill for oil that can't even be used for 8-10yrs, and start more wars. Not to mention destroy healthcare, education and everything else they can get their hands on.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I heard a really fast, short blurb on TV today that the government is not keeping their part of the deal and the dealership haven't been paid. Don't know anything else though. Or even if that's even correct.

But it sure wouldn't surprise me. I kinda wondered when they started this program how long it would take or even if the dealships would be paid. I know if I was t he owner of a dealership, I would be very leery of getting involved.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

Somehow I think we would all be better off if they stopped trying until they actually learned to think clearly and quit thinking about the next 6 months and start thinking about the next 60 years.

Did you ever stop to think that if we dont start drilling for our own oil now then that just adds to the 6-10 years before we can start using it and reducing our consumption of foreign oil?

What exactly has any republican done to destroy health care or education?
If you look at what is wrong with education you can point the problems back to Liberal ideology. Schools shouldnt have to put up with kids who havent learned discipline at home, who dont get sleep because their parents keep them up too late, and who dont get a good meal because their parents would rather buy some drugs or some fancy rims for the family pimp mobile. Schools shouldnt have to feed your kids, if you cant feed them then dont have them.

BUT, the Liberals love making excuses for everyones lack of personal responsibility so they do everything they can to enable such behavior.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

As long as you don't have a Beer War Trade embargo.....I would have to negotiate then. I'm from outside of Detroit, Canada is near and dear to me. I would even allow cars made there be eligible, maybe even Mexico as long as a certain percent of parts were made in the U.S. Soon we will all be the same anyway (NAU).

I know you are talking Globalization and Free Trade.... but it hasn't worked out too well so far for America. Our best paying jobs have left for overseas and China makes everything plus it's not really Fair Trade. But hey, at least we have cheap consumer products that don't last!!! I'm so happy I could kick myself.

Cap and Trade will be the final nail in the coffin of American Industry. Even if we end up making new "green" industries....won't they just ship the jobs and technology to where it can be made the cheapest??

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by inthesticks

Yeah I heard the same thing. It was that the dealerships havent been paid yet or told when they are going to be paid. So they have no idea when they will get their money. Knowing how well the government functions they will probably delay payment until they have put all of them into bankruptcy. Well at least it will give Obama a reason to Nationalize car dealerships. I guess we already own part of the manufacturers might as well take over the dealers next.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I know you are talking Globalization and Free Trade.... but it hasn't worked out too well so far for America. Our best paying jobs have left for overseas and China makes everything plus it's not really Fair Trade. But hey, at least we have cheap consumer products that don't last!!! I'm so happy I could kick myself.

Cap and Trade will be the final nail in the coffin of American Industry. Even if we end up making new "green" industries....won't they just ship the jobs and technology to where it can be made the cheapest??

I totally agree with you and sorry if I misunderstood your earlier post. I am glad you are happy about it. It is better than crying over spilt milk and things that are out of your control. I figure it is better at this point just to sit on the sidelines and have a good laugh at it all.

Also, you are dead on about Cap and Trade and the fact that all the equipment will be made in China or some other third world nation.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

What are they trying to do? Have Americans purchase foreign cars and go further into debt at the same time?

All I am saying is that American Money should have been spent to purchase North American made cars at the very least. It's not like we export that many cars outside the U.S., Canada and Mexico, go ahead let other countries slap tariffs on them. I want to help America first, then we can go about helping everyone else.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It does appear they now plan on Cash for Clunkers "Appliances"

www.wsbt.com...

I'm still waiting for the trade-in for clunkers deals for those who don't have credit etc. The old push pull or drag was for the dealers. Goodwill has their donated cars, yet their prices are likely not far off from a dealer either...BOO!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HotDogNoBun

You do realize that many 'Imports" are produced in US plants right?

en.wikipedia.org...

Honda, toyota, BMW, Hyundai, Mazda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru etc.

Cars built here employing US workers.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The funny thing is GM (Government Motors) Chrysler, and Ford (the only US company not taking a bailout), are all ramping up production because of this government giveaway. Now that the scheme is ending, they are going to end up with too many cars again, which leads to more factory shutdowns and more layoffs.

Just another example of government trying to manipulate the market...and failing miserably.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I don't think our government officials are stupid.
I think they know exactly what they are doing.

The are selling us down the river.

[edit on 013131p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

top topics

join