It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Hidden Portal' Concept Described: First Tunable Electromagnetic Gateway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

'Hidden Portal' Concept Described: First Tunable Electromagnetic Gateway

www.sciencedaily.com

While the researchers can't promise delivery to a parallel universe or a school for wizards, books like Pullman's Dark Materials and JK Rowling's Harry Potter are steps closer to reality now that researchers in China have created the first tunable electromagnetic gateway.

The work is a further advance in the study of metamaterials, published in New Journal of Physics (co-owned by the Institute of Physics and German Physical Society).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This is cool stuff. You must read the article in full.

A bit of info on Metamaterials from Wiki:

Metamaterials are exotic composite materials that display properties beyond all those available in previous synthetic materials. Instead of constructing materials at the chemical level, as is ordinarily done, these are constructed with two or more materials at the macroscopic level. One of their defining characteristics is that the electromagnetic response results from combining two or more distinct materials in a specified way which extends the range of electromagnetic effects

I have to quote a little more from the article!

"a gateway that can block electromagnetic waves but that allows the passage of other entities" like a "'hidden portal' as mentioned in fictions."

I sincerely hope they can accomplish this!

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

The electrical universe crowd will love this. While I don't believe those folks, this makes them more believable.

In actuality I believe it's simply that some molecules are able to do this by their very nature.

Don't forget that Stargate is based on this concept, and I've always felt Stargate was one of the most realistic sci fi shows out there.

Imagine though, we find a ring on Mars made of this stuff and gain access to a gate network?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
From the way I read this, it appears to describe a method of creating a sort of mirror-like shield that can hide what is beyond it, or reveal it if desired, simply by changing the frequency affecting the metamaterial. This doesn't sound like it would actually be a portal to anything. It's just a way of hiding what's behind the shield - which an ordinary bit of cardboard would also do.

Certainly I don't see that this will take us out of the Universe or otherwise make life interesting.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Wow, this is mind boggling...great find! Star & Flag...
I believe that in the next few years our technology is going to shift to something...different. Let's do the "Time Warp AGainnnnnnnnnnnnnn"
Synth

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
Certainly I don't see that this will take us out of the Universe or otherwise make life interesting.

You, Sir, are a very strange person if you don't find this interesting!

Lol!

Having an electromagnetic portal, that is invisible but let's matter through to the other side, not interesting!???

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I don't know how these open gates to other worlds but, the wikipedia article just quoted also says that metamaterials can make a perfect lens, but if you had this perfect lens you could create infinite energy from stuff beamed from a distance.

And I may be misunderstanding this section also. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by hexagramfifty

Who knows, some of the greatest discoveries have been made while trying to develop other technologies or prove theories, so you may be right.

Although one thing, if this is what is coming out in scientific journals, it's probably been done secretly by the US in top secret facilities for decades!

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Sorry for seeing a bit dumb here, but the reference to it blocking out all visible light seems a bit on par to "Black Hole" astrophysics than electromagnetic theory.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

you can do it without gravity. It takes some work though. It is most certainly not a black hole.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'm curious as to what these "other entities" are that are referred to in the article. It says the "portal" (hmmm) will block EM radiation but allow "other entities" through. Since matter can be viewed as energy...

Well, actually... I think my question is, what is all this for?

top topics

join