It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling ALL DeBunkers - Can you explain this?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I gotta say, just seeing that video again is hard, what a tragedy..............

On topic now, I believe and concur with other posters who stated this was a camera artifact due to the aperture. It is pretty solid, case closed IMHO. Also in the future consider a less confrontational title?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Nice so you are saying it's possibly 2 different cameras? I was thinking that as well. Doesn't seem like enough time for the original camera man to pull back get out of focus and zoom in on something else.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by Arbitrageur

how does a debunker know

I'm confused by your comment; I'm not a "debunker". I'm rather impartial yet fascinated by the UFO phenomena. Simply by looking at the video you are providing, the shape of the "craft" (and I'm only using the term craft for the sake of this post) is what you're forming your entire topic around. You've been given two logical explanations. It's the lens aperture, or it's a shot of the space shuttle from simply a different angle. Plus, out of all the UFO videos I have seen, I've never heard anyone taking note of them emitting "purple smoke"...

Being logical doesn't make someone a "debunker".

[edit on 8/14/2009 by PlagueRevisionism]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Nice so you are saying it's possibly 2 different cameras? I was thinking that as well. Doesn't seem like enough time for the original camera man to pull back get out of focus and zoom in on something else.

Well, yeah, you can see that it's two distinctly different pieces of footage, from different cameras. The first footage is pretty much the standard amateur footage. The second footage is a piece of professional videography — zoomed in on a mass in the upper atmosphere traveling at about Mach 25 (shuttle re-entry velocity), yet the image barely vibrates at all. It takes a professional hand to do that.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Debunked, sorry.

I'm a believer, but these things give believers a bad name

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
What it looked to me was like a pixellated image of a small bit of debris. When I saw it (as the camera zoomed in) it reminded me of the digital zoom some cameras have. If you zoom in enough digitally, you'll see an image that is pixellated. When the zoom is done optically, you don't get that pixellation. I'm guessing that the camera's optical zoom was already maxxed out, and they had to resort to the digital zoom to try to produce a visible, recognizable image.

As for the smoke, I don't think so. It was in a straight line. There's no reason why a UFO can't move in a perfectly straight line, but the smoke trail it would hypothetically leave behind would shift as air currents and wind affected it. Also, UFO's are not known to emit smoke, AFAIK.

This just looks like debris from the Columbia, visible at the limits of the camera and looking strange as a result.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Thank you for that clarification. I was hoping someone would break that possibility down. I thought the same thing do all cameras have a diamond shaped apperature, and how does a debunker know what type of camera was used?

I don't know what type of camera was used, but I can tell the camera used has a diamond shaped aperture because that's the shape taken by the out of focus object. When I see shuttle video using a reflector telephoto lens, the out of focus image created by the telephoto lens is typically a donut shape, because we are not typically seeing the aperture control by the camera, the aperture with such a telephoto lens is typically as wide open as it can get. The hole in the middle of the donut shape is caused by the design of the reflector lens which actually does have a hole in the image that only disappears when the object is focused.

So you can tell something about the equipment used just by looking at the images produced, if they are out of focus. Knowing the equipment type may help in some cases, but in this case it's not necessary, as there's really no question the diamond shape is caused by the aperture of the camera.

Edit: Check out the colored lights in the 2nd image from the top in this wiki link, you can see the aperture has a shape other than a diamond shape:

en.wikipedia.org...

That article explains a little more about the effect too.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Ha, I have a lens that is designed exactly like that!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
Also, UFO's are not known to emit smoke, AFAIK.

On the contrary, there have been many, many sightings of UFOs emitting smoke (and other peculiar discharges) dating back centuries.

Not to go crazy in-depth here, I can point to a few smoking UFOs rather easily:

• The Nuremberg "sky battle" of 1561, in which aerial discs were seen to dogfight in the skies, sometimes colliding, smoking and crashing and burning across the countryside.

• The Delphos UFO case, in which the craft in question emitted a shimmering "vapor" that settled onto the ground, making the soil permanently hydrophobic (water-repellent).

• The very bizarre Flatwoods Incident featured a smoking, burning UFO, as well as a poisonous vapor that made people positively ill.

So, yeah, UFOs are all about smoke trails and residues. Such emissions are, like, the easiest to prove of all UFO evidence, by virtue of the fact that they do leave these chemical traces for us to examine and test in our labs.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

Interesting, thank you for posting that video. That helps people get a better perspective on that phenomena.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Here is a set of aperture control shutters from one of my video cameras. It is one set that I have taken several photos of in different opening positions.
Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
Here is a set of aperture control shutters from one of my video cameras. It is one set that I have taken several photos of in different opening positions.

Great pictures! That shows the diamond shape quite clearly when the aperture is small, but it also shows how the shape of the aperture can change even on the same camera as the aperture is opened up for lower light conditions! Thanks!

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Has anyone been able to explain the shuttle crash UFO captured by FOX? Purple smoke comes off of it? Very odd, and I've never heard this discussed by debunkers. I would love to hear what debunkers have to say about this.

IT looks like umm a parachute or the capsule itself but im pretty sure that isnt a real ufo.
so yea not real (Well for me)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join