It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling ALL DeBunkers - Can you explain this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Has anyone been able to explain the shuttle crash UFO captured by FOX? Purple smoke comes off of it? Very odd, and I've never heard this discussed by debunkers. I would love to hear what debunkers have to say about this.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
From my perspective it just looks like debris from the shuttle re-entering the atmosphere

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This, unfortunately does not need to be debunked. This phenomena is known to seasoned UFO researchers because it shows up in many pieces of footage and can be replicated easily at home by most cameras.

It is the diamond shape produced by a bright light passing through the aperture control shutter while the light is out of focus. The aperture control shutter has the exact same shape.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Does that effect produce purple/pink smoke trails too?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

I suppose there may be a little bit of a purple/pink trail near the diamond-shaped out-of-focus shot (as explained, the diamond shape is caused by the camera aperture)...

...but even if this is "smoke", the significance of purple smoke is...????

[edit on 8/14/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

ls

It is not the effect causing that. That is possibly bleed over onto other pixels in the scan line due to over exposure or it is the smoke from the debris being exposed off color also because the optics are not properly focused. Anytime that the optics are not focused there will be light hitting pixels on the focal plane array its not supposed to so color imbalance will happen. That part of the footage doesn't have much context before or after it so it is difficult to tell.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Barring the lens problem, we could also be looking at a more "head-on" shot of the shuttle on it's initial re-entry/fragmentation. Seems pretty logical that it isn't alien or any other type of UFO.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

The object is not producing purple/pink smoke trails. That is glare caused by the brightness of the object.

Judging from your first post, it seems you believe this to be some anomalous object or phenomenon. It also seems you are making an argument-from-ignorance fallacy; simply because no one has debunked it does not therefore mean it is anomalous. Instead, you should tell us what you think it is and how you came to that conclusion.

While I do agree with Dainoyfb's explanation is the best fit, the clip is far too short to come to any solid conclusion. I have a feeling this is purposeful.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I just interested in what debunkers would say. I guess any diamond shaped object filmed under the above interpretation would be ruled out as not authentic?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
it was swamp gas reflecting off venus

nothing to see here fellas,

carry on.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
This, unfortunately does not need to be debunked. This phenomena is known to seasoned UFO researchers because it shows up in many pieces of footage and can be replicated easily at home by most cameras.

It is the diamond shape produced by a bright light passing through the aperture control shutter while the light is out of focus. The aperture control shutter has the exact same shape.

Absolutely correct, the diamond shape is the shape of the camera's aperture, not the shape of the object.

The purple "trail" is not smoke, it's a video artifact. Here is an interesting article on video artifacts in sunset photography. OK the object you asked about may not be a sunset, however it is a bright object on an otherwise not so bright background so it has some similarities with a sunset in that respect.

Artifacts in sunset photography

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
The object is not producing purple/pink smoke trails. That is glare caused by the brightness of the object...

I think this is what it is also. However, like I implied in my other post, even it there was some non-white smoke, what exactly would we need to debunk?

Lets stipulate that you may be right and the smoke was "pinkish" (although I agree it's NOT pink smoke at all, but rather probably a video artifact). My next question would be this:

So what if pinkish smoke possibly may have come off of pieces of the disintegrating shuttle?

[edit on 8/14/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I just interested in what debunkers would say. I guess any diamond shaped object filmed under the above interpretation would be ruled out as not authentic?

No.
Only if the object is out of focus AND the camera used has a diamond shaped aperture would you conclude the diamond is the aperture shape.

If it's in focus a diamond shape could be real, however this diamond is obviously out of focus.

It's also worthy of noting not all cameras have diamond shaped apertures, out of focus objects can take different shapes based on different camera/lens combinations and can depend on the geometry of the camera's aperture, and or the lens.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
The object is not producing purple/pink smoke trails. That is glare caused by the brightness of the object...

So what if pinkish smoke possibly may have come out of the disintegration of the shuttle?

lol I can't even respond to that
Obviously, I am searching for reasons why a camera man would be filming an object either falling/flying on a horizontal level, that he feels the need to zoom in on, that isn't flying in the same direction as the debris in relation to the camera. Unless the camera man tilted the camera...this object is flying horizontally.

link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
I think this is what it is also. However, like I implied in my other post, even it there was some non-white smoke, what exactly would we need to debunk?

Right. Instead of asking for it to be debunked, therefore implying there was something anomalous going on, it would have been better for the OP to ask for it to be explained. Seems like semantics, but in this twisted world of the UFO field there is a gulf of difference.

link   

I'm actually a believer, but as far as I can see this footage contains no evidence.
This particular diamond shape has features that indicate it is caused by the aperture control. But what do I know. I've just been designing cameras and imaging systems professionally for decades.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thank you for that clarification. I was hoping someone would break that possibility down. I thought the same thing do all cameras have a diamond shaped apperature, and how does a debunker know what type of camera was used?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

I titled it that way so it didn't drop into the ATS blackhole. It seems nobody responds to posts without a confrontational title.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Obviously, I am searching for reasons why a camera man would be filming an object either falling/flying on a horizontal level, that he feels the need to zoom in on, that isn't flying in the same direction as the debris in relation to the camera. Unless the camera man tilted the camera...this object is flying horizontally.

Actually, because of the short duration of the clip you cannot tell which direction it was moving or it's orientation to the rest of the debris. There is too little context here to make any judgments about its motion.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
What we're seeing in this clip are 2 (two) distinctly different pieces of footage taken hundreds of miles apart and facing in different directions. We know that the Columbia disintegrated on re-entry on a roughly West-to-East trajectory — the break-up was first sighted shortly after the vehicle passed over the West coast, and it continued to disintegrate as it descended, depositing much of the debris (and victims' body parts) across Northern Texas and into Arkansas and Louisiana.

So, the vehicle was traveling West-to-East.

Therefore the first footage we see is facing East, looking upward at a very steep angle — this is probably amateur footage from the American SouthWest, as the debris is not yet widely distributed.

The second footage would, therefore, be facing South, probably a tripod-mounted telephoto lens, chasing what appears to be a mass re-entering the atmosphere from right-to-left. It may even be the main body of the vehicle. However, to be following this mass with such precision at such a distance with a telephoto lens, I'm guessing this may be actual NASA footage.

I think all you're seeing is a prismatic effect in the contrail, the sunlight coming from the left, and we're looking at puffs of gas refracting light in the violet range.

— Doc Velocity

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join