It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wal mart scam

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Yes actually near me, the closest Wal Mart had been increased in size by two fold and its looking good but very confusing

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I used to work for one of the 8 architectural firms that design walmarts in the country, and an update is simply for marketing. No scams other than ruining small business's.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
I used to work for one of the 8 architectural firms that design walmarts in the country, and an update is simply for marketing. No scams other than ruining small business's.

You have convinced us lol gimme a break man. I'm not saying that they are remodeling to cause disruption resulting in a loss so they can get handouts but i am in now way going to even nearly believe anything you just said either. BTW i'm the President of a Walmart and it is true.

I will say that all the Walmarts near me are also undergoing major renovations.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
With 2 24 hour walmarts in my hometown, they have kind of taken over all the other grocery and dept stores we had, if they went out of business we would be quite short on grocery and dept choices.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
New Super Walmart built in N.Bergen NJ.
Allegedly, prevented from opening by town.
So. Secaucus Walmart, is undergoing construction to turn it into a Super Walmart.
Looks like crap inside and out.
Numerous fights inside, because they narrowed the aisles to barely fit one cart and one human at the same time.
It's a madhouse any day of the week.
The new Walmart in N.Bergen is now

People hate it now, but shop there anyway. Link

~

[edit on 8/15/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I think walmart is banned where I live. They have only 2 in a city with over 1 million people, and they are extremely small and look like they have been the same since the 80's.

I went one time and it sucked. You had to wait outside for a shopping cart, and then one inside the isles were small and they had a really small selection of things.

The walmart here looks like the walmart they had 4 versions ago back in the southeast, in a town of only 40,000 or so.

Well, a quick google search confirms it. They are banned here.

sanjose.bizjournals.com...

California cities that have already banned these stores include Livermore, Antioch, Martinez, Oakland, Alameda, San Diego, Turlock and Inglewood.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
wow so walmart is banned and small business can thrive in your town. must be nice

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironjello
wow so walmart is banned and small business can thrive in your town. must be nice

Wrong! It just makes people drive a little bit further to get to Wal-Mart and deprives the city of extra tax revenue.

online.wsj.com...

The average wage of workers in the existing Chicago Wal-Mart is more than $11 an hour. Wal-Mart claims that Chicago residents spend half a billion dollars a year at its stores outside city limits, crimping the city's tax revenue.

Looks like Chicago, which had banned Wal-Mart, is starting to come to its senses. Money usually does that.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
NC and know of two here as well, well, one is finished but just done recently. Why? I dunno, it wasn't 4 years old I don't think. Ridiculous.

Most of what they are doing is marketing strategy. It is alot of moving around of inventory. Maybe make this department a bit bigger, make this one smaller, etc. Many companies do things like this to show a loss, not for government handouts, just to reduce their tax liability. No big conspiracy here, I don't believe.

And yes, they are computerized. I was talking to someone that works for a company contracted by them to install all the HVAC and such for new construction. The cororate offices in Bentonville can turn the lights off in a store in California if they wanted to. What they do is turn off or dim lights say maybe every second or third row at certain times, whatever they decide, or do it at night in the 24 hour stores to save electricity.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Come on!

Has Wal-Mart lost hundreds of billions in derivatives and bad investments?
Has Wal-Mart taken a huge, viable portion of our economy and run it into the dirt?

No.

They have demonstrated the ability to grow and make a profit at every turn. (albeit to the detriments of small local economies)

The government would never give them a big bailout unless they had reasonably demonstrated that they would waste and squander it.

Our government doesn't reward success.

On a more positive note,
The mass remodelings obviously are not done to get a bailout but to take advantage of the fact that they are seeing more and more traffic due to the fact that so many other businesses are closing and consumers are trying to stretch their dollars by buying cheaper.

It's a big conspiracy to make money!

[edit on 013131p://f22Saturday by badgerprints]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ironjello

I dunno, I'm kind of torn about it to be honest. I'm a bit of a free market capitalist myself, and don't generally like it when governments butt into the affairs of business.

On the other hand, our system itself is far from being free market captialism - even though they claim it is. Our system isn't based on capitalism, it's based on debt and is "soft despotism" at best.

So on the one hand, I'm in favor of the people decided what is best in the market. And yet, I think the only reason wal-mart and corporations like it succeed is due to the screwed up system we have, which is a scam on the people.

So I find it hard to blame a city for trying to protect small business owners who are not given the same privileges as the corporations. But in the end, it is really just treating a symptom rather than the cause.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Wal Mart made a corporate division to do a massive remodeling do to the large amount of cheap labor that could be had at this time.

I know two store owner that have increased business because of Wal marts coming to town.
They just started to stock what Wal Mart could or would not stock.

Wal Mart will not stock anything they can not get a special price from the suppler.

If you can stock those items you will get sales because Wal Mart does not have it

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Wal mart is always trying to keep up with Target. Little by little they have been turning to look more like Target. So this doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

They all but eliminated Kmart. Now onto the next victim.....

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
To me Wal mart need major remod job, when I go in there , to me it seems like what it would be like in Russia, but I sure they don't have it that good in most stores.
If you look at the decor i'st weird all the differnt floor material, it's like they ran out, and had to hodge podge everything.
Their stores also seem drab, it's more up beat scene at Miejers, just my thought's.
I try to only buy things on sale, can get almost twice as much same price.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The one here in Manchester New Hampshire is planning on Moving into a bigger complex. Does that count for anything. They're planning on building the new one soon.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ironjello

I know someone who has worked at a local Walmart store here for nearly 6 yrs. They began several years ago on a remodel team, the store became a superstore. Then the moved into a department for perminant employment. A couple of years ago, there was another store remodel. New wood floors put down under the clothing sections and shifting products about. Employees were told that store was a piolet store, so many things can happen or be changed. Well this year, they've done it again, and I myself have noticed, the isles getting narrower and less product choices than before. Also, my "informant" was a little concerned 2 weeks ago, they said there were about 3 unidentified people "touring" with 3 managers about the store. The "informant" tried to get a glimpse of the ID badges but couldnt. Thought they were there to look into the finishing touches of the remodel.....or planned where to open shop for the flu vaccine station inside the store.....I dont know, but Wally World aint what it used to be when Sam was around.........

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Posting a loss once and asking for a government bailout are worlds apart. So are remodeling a lot of stores and the latter. Is there any evidence at all or is this pure speculation?

My guess is that someone in the company speculated this scenario and it made its way from the grapevine to the net.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by jprophet420]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I don't know anything about my local WalMart. I only went in there once in the past year, to help a friend find the right router. I don't think they were remodeling, but I didn't really look around.

Generally, I only shop for groceries and I go to the market down the street because it's close and they gave me a card that earns points for discounts at their gas pumps. Got $0.70 discount per gallon when I filled up.

But yeah, I doubt WalMart would get any kind of bailout... if they did though, perhaps they could give their employees a bonus for smiling and saying "Hi, how are you today? Find everything you were looking for?" Then I might actually go there once in a while.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Has anyone thought about this? Perhaps right now is the BEST time for them to do it.

Simple law of supply and demand at work, here. Walmart has had this in the "works" since 2006 as a previous poster said. But with the downturn in the economy, I'd bet a pretty penny that they can hire the contracters at much lower rates than they could have in 2006. I'm sure an executive decision was made to do all the stores NOW instead of piecemealing it out over the next few years.

They are using the economic downturn in their favor, and getting more bang for their buck. And since they are one of the few companies posting profits, they have the money to do it.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

Why do you hate Walmart?

I've heard people say this often but never offer a reason.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join