It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kangaroos in the US!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Just like puma and panthers being spotted in Australia and Europe, kangaroos have also been seen not within their original habitat. Kangaroos have been seen often in the United States since the Mid 1960s. A man had reported a kangaroo on his porch early one morning in Chicago on October 18, 1974. Patrolmen Byrne and Ciagi were astonished to find a 5-foot kangaroo in a dark alley around 3:30 am. Not knowing what else to do, Byrne tried to handcuff it. The animal was not going to go quietly as it started to scream, then Ciagi was kicked in the shins and the kangaroo escaped down the street.
That was not the only sighting in Illinois. A couple of weeks later on November 2, in Plano, Illinois, two separate groups of witnesses reported seeing a kangaroo almost at the exact same time. Within another couple of weeks, sightings have occurred in Lansing, Illinois, and Rensselaer adn Carmel, Indiana. Then on November 15, back in Chicago, a kangaroo was seen in a vacant lot. The witness said it was 5-feet tall and "black all over, except for the stomach and face, which were brown." The last known sighting took place on November 25 in Sheridan, Indiana, when a farmer, Donald Johnson, spotted a kangaroo on a deserted rural road. Johnson stated " It was running on all four feet down the middle of the road." When it noticed Johnson, it leaped over a barb-wire fence and into the field.

In Wisconsin, 1978, a photograph was taken of a kangaroo. The picture was admittedly not very good, but clear enough to make out the creature. The kangaroo was first spotted in Waukesha on April 5, 1978. On April 24, there were other sightings at Pewaukee Township, Brookfield Township, and around Waukesha. Near Menomeonee Falls, two men had taken two pictures of a kangarro and was said that this creature could possibly have been an escapee from a private animal collections or zoo, living wild.

Out-of-place animals, such as kangaroos, are rarely captured and they seem to disappear as mysteriously as they appear. It seems only few citizens see them and it is usually from a distance. However, in May of 1979, a kangaroo seen in Nashua, New Hampshire was caught and found to be a wallaby (an Australian marsupial similar to a kangaroo, but smaller) that had escaped from a carnival that had recently left town.

Other sightings of kangaroos, outside of their habitat, were also seen in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Ontario, Canada; around Morange-Silverange in France, and on the northern border of Hungary.

SOURCE WITH PICTURE HERE www.dark-stories.com...

Not really a cryptid but well...I guessed that since it was an animal it was the best place to put it.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I do know that in California, there are now forests of Eucalyptus trees, descended from some a man brought from Australia in a failed get-rich quick scheme.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

That doesn't help them much considering only Koalas eat Eucalyptus

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well here in Florida we had a report on tv of cops chasing a kangaroo and I thought they were joking. The next day they had a follow up report seems Eminem the rapper his mother lives a couple miles from me and he was visiting. He brought his pet wallaby left it in the fenced yard at his mothers and it escaped.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
Well here in Florida we had a report on tv of cops chasing a kangaroo and I thought they were joking. The next day they had a follow up report seems Eminem the rapper his mother lives a couple miles from me and he was visiting. He brought his pet wallaby left it in the fenced yard at his mothers and it escaped.

That is easily the most random story I have heard this week. Eminem has a wallaby? Seriously?? lol...

When I went to Australia, these things are everywhere. The locals don't even really like them, and practically any good stretch of open highway your sure to encounter at least a few dead kangaroos on the side. They are constantly getting hit by motorists. And some reach 9 feet high, so it can be like hitting a large game animal in the continental US.

But wait... why the hell would you get a wallaby as a pet?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Sorry I had the wrong rapper but all the papers here listed him as Robert Van Winkle his real name. My mistake saying Eminem.

Vanilla Ice reunited with wallaroo, goat

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) — Bucky Buckaroo the wallaroo and Pancho the goat may soon be back in the custody of their rapper owner Vanilla Ice.

Robert Van Winkle, formerly known as Vanilla Ice, carries his pet wallaroo Bucky from Port St. Lucie, Fla., Animal Control.
Matthew Ratajczak Stuart News via AP

Bucky and Pancho escaped more than a week ago and spent several days frolicking in the streets and wooded areas of St. Lucie County in southeast Florida. They made a run for it after Pancho nudged open an unlocked door with his head and the two broke out of a relative's backyard.

The animals were captured Nov. 13 after the 60-pound wallaroo — a cross between a wallaby and a kangaroo — scratched a woman's car. But Vanilla Ice, whose real name is Robert van Winkle, was out of town and could not immediately claim them.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I've just been outside (here in Oz) and counted all our kangaroos ... all are definitely present and accounted for !

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
BWAHAHAHA!

This story has given me a good laugh.......

Only this wednesday I started my bi annual sanctioned Kangaroo cull......got a permit for 50 on 2 small farm properties....

if you Yanks have got em, Id be harvesting them...seriously, they dont require much looking after, have the healthiest and leanest meat on the planet...hell, you Yanks may even loose some weight

the difference between Puma's and Kangaroos being sighted in our respective countries is Puma's are more violent for attack, not that any has happened buit Id much rather bump into a roo in the forest than a puma.

Eucalyptus trees should be encourage to be planted, especially in the more baren desert areas of the US....they dont need much water, and thrive when burnt...they actually in fires release their seeds and continue growing, where Pine and Conifer trees when burnt they die....eucalypts keep growing.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
black and white kangaroos? thought they were brown in colour.

is it possible that they are native to the US too? It's a big country, we can't know for sure. Too many sightings to be considered as animals escaped from a zoo.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by king9072

Sorry I had the wrong rapper but all the papers here listed him as Robert Van Winkle his real name. My mistake saying Eminem.

Vanilla Ice reunited with wallaroo, goat

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) — Bucky Buckaroo the wallaroo and Pancho the goat may soon be back in the custody of their rapper owner Vanilla Ice.

Robert Van Winkle, formerly known as Vanilla Ice, carries his pet wallaroo Bucky from Port St. Lucie, Fla., Animal Control.
Matthew Ratajczak Stuart News via AP

Bucky and Pancho escaped more than a week ago and spent several days frolicking in the streets and wooded areas of St. Lucie County in southeast Florida. They made a run for it after Pancho nudged open an unlocked door with his head and the two broke out of a relative's backyard.

The animals were captured Nov. 13 after the 60-pound wallaroo — a cross between a wallaby and a kangaroo — scratched a woman's car. But Vanilla Ice, whose real name is Robert van Winkle, was out of town and could not immediately claim them.

Which one has a bigger brain?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deep Thoughts

Just like puma and panthers being spotted in Australia and Europe, kangaroos have also been seen not within their original habitat. Kangaroos have been seen often in the United States since the Mid 1960s. A man had reported a kangaroo on his porch early one morning in Chicago on October 18, 1974. Patrolmen Byrne and Ciagi were astonished to find a 5-foot kangaroo in a dark alley around 3:30 am. Not knowing what else to do, Byrne tried to handcuff it. The animal was not going to go quietly as it started to scream, then Ciagi was kicked in the shins and the kangaroo escaped down the street.
That was not the only sighting in Illinois. A couple of weeks later on November 2, in Plano, Illinois, two separate groups of witnesses reported seeing a kangaroo almost at the exact same time. Within another couple of weeks, sightings have occurred in Lansing, Illinois, and Rensselaer adn Carmel, Indiana. Then on November 15, back in Chicago, a kangaroo was seen in a vacant lot. The witness said it was 5-feet tall and "black all over, except for the stomach and face, which were brown." The last known sighting took place on November 25 in Sheridan, Indiana, when a farmer, Donald Johnson, spotted a kangaroo on a deserted rural road. Johnson stated " It was running on all four feet down the middle of the road." When it noticed Johnson, it leaped over a barb-wire fence and into the field.

In Wisconsin, 1978, a photograph was taken of a kangaroo. The picture was admittedly not very good, but clear enough to make out the creature. The kangaroo was first spotted in Waukesha on April 5, 1978. On April 24, there were other sightings at Pewaukee Township, Brookfield Township, and around Waukesha. Near Menomeonee Falls, two men had taken two pictures of a kangarro and was said that this creature could possibly have been an escapee from a private animal collections or zoo, living wild.

Out-of-place animals, such as kangaroos, are rarely captured and they seem to disappear as mysteriously as they appear. It seems only few citizens see them and it is usually from a distance. However, in May of 1979, a kangaroo seen in Nashua, New Hampshire was caught and found to be a wallaby (an Australian marsupial similar to a kangaroo, but smaller) that had escaped from a carnival that had recently left town.

Other sightings of kangaroos, outside of their habitat, were also seen in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Ontario, Canada; around Morange-Silverange in France, and on the northern border of Hungary.

SOURCE WITH PICTURE HERE www.dark-stories.com...

Not really a cryptid but well...I guessed that since it was an animal it was the best place to put it.

what the hell! Interesting I've never heard of this. And the story about handcuffing a kangaroo and it kicking a guy in the shins and then running I found hilarious!

Interesting though. Thanks for posting.

And vanilla ice has a wallabee? wtf? that such a random pet. Celebrities are weird.

[edit on by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Deep Thoughts

My grandmother SWEARS that she saw a kangaroo when she was little... I'm guessing somewhere between 7-10 years old. We live in Kentucky. She is now 76. Now, given the fact that she was young, it is possible that she could have seen pretty much any kind of animal and simply THOUGHT it was a kangaroo, but she says that no, that's what she saw. Strange, but she also said that she saw it leap over a fence and then hop away into the woods. She also says that she was with her grandmother when she saw it and that her grandmother told her it was a kangaroo. Power of suggestion? Maybe she just thinks that's what it was because her grandmother told her that's what it was, but it's hard to say. She says that she still remembers to this day what it looked like and that she knows it was a kangaroo. There is no arguing with her, lol. This would have been around 1940.

I did mention this to someone else that grew up in the same area as my grandmother ... this was also an elderly woman and she said that she had never seen them here, but that she had also heard there were kangaroos in the area.

Weird, is all I can say. I live near the area where my grandmother grew up and there are lots and lots of forests and wooded areas around here. I never did really believe that she actually saw a kangaroo, but who knows. It's hard to say what's roaming around out there.

[edit on 8/20/2009 by gemineye]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Deep Thoughts

I have quite a few problems with this:
1. Trying to hand cuff a roo? Do handcuffs even go that tight?
2. I have yet to hear a kangaroo scream
3. They vary in colour, but I have never seen a black one.
4. Roos DO NOT RUN ON ALL 4 FEET!!!!!!
5. I see them going through barb wire fences all the time, and they usually duck and go under rather than just clear the fence with a jump.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Wouldn't be such a hard thing to imagine,probably not doing so well if they are a rarely seen.I know there are wallabies living on a small island in scotland(loch lomond)

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It was running on all four feet down the middle of the road."
ahhaah what a lie. they hop on two back feet. Occassionally when grazing you may see them use thier from paws. Other than that... no way. cant run on 4 feet. they dont have 4 feet to begin with.

They'd hop waaaay faster than trying to use thier front pawns lol.

And sure when i danger or scared they can clear a barbed wire fence...

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

LOL! You gotta love how they sight Vanilla Ice's real name twice.. like they are rubbing it in...

Oh.. and by the way Vanilla Ices name is Robert VAN WINKLE!

It must be a great source of shame for him!

IRM :shk:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

i hope you get mauled by a kangaroo next time your out murdering defensless animals.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by STFUPPERCUTTER
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

i hope you get mauled by a kangaroo next time your out murdering defensless animals.

Well, that's a plain ignorant and immature answer. Read, do research and learn before you sound off and make yourself look foolish! Kangaroo's need to be culled in Australia for the general health of the Kangaroo population and because they destroy the environment. They render it baron!

It's almost impossible logistically and logically to move them elsewhere because they will just destroy that environment too.

If you lived in Australia, you would know this.

IRM

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

and there are colonies on the ilse of man , and devon

all either delibereatly introduced or descendants of zoo escapes

new topics

top topics

join