It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I think christianity is bad.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I respect the right of people to believe what they want. But in my experience the majority of super christians spew their beliefs to the point of hatred. They are extremely closed minded to anything that does not support their beloved book. They feel the need to "save" every person from the hell that they are positive that everyone who does not share their beliefs are doomed to go to. Their childeren become ignorant hate spewing humans as well. Over time they become more and more hateful, just under the surface and may not even realize that they are, but next thing you know they are suing for the right to burn a gay teenagers book and condemning young girls who have abortions( could be from a horrible circumstance :ie rape). All under the guise of polite middle classedness.

Here is an example of what the offspring of the christian fundamentalists become, ignorant, condemning and unintentionally hateful people.

www.break.com...

Watch and enjoy.

If this is in the wrong place, Mods please move it.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by born-indigo]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
do you base the foundation of your beliefs on the actions of misguided christians? May i make a suggestion? (I am saying this politely) don't let hypocrites dictate your beliefs. I know its tough when a christian becomes a hypocrite but aren't we all hyprocrites? haven't we all said something and done another? isn't that human nature? don't say you haven't because "Everyone" has. True christianity is Love. If you love your children don't you discipline them? If they do something wrong do you tell them what they've done wrong? have you ever been angry at them because of what they did wrong? Everyone has Sin, Its not our business to Judge others but we can stand as a beacon of Light of Righteousness standing up to the beliefs we believe in.

What would happen if the Church stood idly by and did absolutely nothing? The Church is to preach the Gospel, stand up for what is right and Love,Love,Love. Its not wrong to be angry at Sin, but also have to understand Gods forgiveness. Jesus told the adulterer that her sin was forgiven, but he also told her not to do it anymore. Its the Church's responsibility to uphold the truth contained in the bible because we are the body of christ. Christ came and reproved the world of sin, he came to preach truth, he came to be a light in the darkness, now that he has ascended to heaven its the churches (christians) responsibility to carry on that task.

I think your finding any ammo you can to justify your feelings towards christians. Christ died for you as well. He took your sin and offered you forgiveness. He took your place in Hell and has offered you a place in Heaven. God Loves you so much he gave his son to die for you so that YOU might live. We are all sinners deserving hell for our crimes but God has made a way for us to escape his judgement and be restored to righteousness so that we can Know him and his love. Its a Relationship, God wants to know you, he has a plan for your life to prosper and give you a long life, he wants to spend eternity with you and has given you all that he has. He has Adopted you as a son given you the benefits of Bloodline family. All you have to do is Accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and repent of your Sins and your soul is saved for eternity. God says Life and Death have i laid before you, its your choice choose which you want.

Keeper

Keeper

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Its important to separate your perception of an idea from your idea, people have their own goals and motivations for preaching and following the word of .....god.....

A human being can make anything into a wrong or good thing the choice is with the individual not with the idea, and anyone or anything that detracts from that simple truth is wasting time and distracting from the simple truth..

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
These people are Pharisees, not Christians.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by born-indigo

I love christianity for all the reasons you hate it, haha, jk, but it appears this post spews hate at christians, you even wasting your time hating something is a big waste of energy, this isn't the medieval times, and to assume all christians are catholic crusaders is insane, Christ didn't form the church that forces people to bow and worship him or die, the problem isn't christianity, it's anti-christians using the term 'christian' for their own gain.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I don't like how a lot of people who are outspoken about racial equality are against people's religious beliefs. It seems hypocritical to me, and I'm not even a fan of organized religion in the least.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
i hate racism, for racism is the root of hate itself, but I also hate sentiment against religious people, even if I think the religion is bad and brainwashing myself.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
i hate racism, for racism is the root of hate itself, but I also hate sentiment against religious people, even if I think the religion is bad and brainwashing myself.

Fear is the root of hate, sorry to say. You can hate hateful things but your still saying your afraid of them.. people need to get a damn grip.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I love you all...no matter what you believe is the truth. I just wish you would sit with me sometime and realize that we are all the same.

(speaking generally)

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

You think Christians are bad because they are an easy target, and you have no cajones. Why not speak out against all religions? Speak out against Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism(sp), Jainism, Sikhism, etc... Know why you and others don't? Because the followers of those other religions will bury you so deep that it'll take you a century to push up one daisy.

Even I, and atheist, am finding all this "I hate christianity" stuff to be extremely tiring, and boorish. Christianity isn't the problem, the problem is a combination of religious fervor, and human reaction instincts.

Yeah, yeah, we all know that Christians are stupid as far as religous belief goes, but so are followers of all the religions. Even atheists can be stupid in a quasi-religous way. I find evangelistic atheism to be just as distastefull as any other kind of evangelism.

So, you think that Christianity is bad, and have to tell everyone why. So what. You're no better than the classical pinch faced church lady that fouls everything she touches. You, and her, think you are some how better than those that don't think and/or believe as you do. Know what, june bug? We're all in it together, and nobody gets out alive. If it takes the threat of going to hell, and the promised reward of going to heaven for someone to act civilized in their every day lives, so what. It does not have any effect on you either way.

If you want to criticise religions for prompting people to act bad, there are other ones that make the craziest Christian sect look like cheerleaders. Speak out against Islam, those barbarians are still stoning people, lobing off body parts, and performing horrific acts in the name of religion. Oh, but they aren't an easy target now are they?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Modern mainstream Christianity isn't nearly as bad as how the religion used to be. After the Romans took it over they stuffed Christianity full of pagan nonsense and used the religion to uphold dictatorial governments and the policies of those governments and so religion, typically the State Sponsored variety was used to support war, genocide, inquisitions, censorship of science, burning of books, burning of people torture of various kinds, manifest destiny and the killing of the Native Americans, etc etc etc etc

So while there may be quite a few bad apple closed minded Christians today, they are preferable to some of the less than decent types of centuries past. The problem I have is when religion is pulled into politics and becomes a tool just like it was in Medieval times.

I don't think Christianity is bad but I think it keeps people in the dark about some obvious scientific and social truths and it does seem to instill many with unnecessary guilt. I also think most Modern Christians aren't actually following Christ but are more following their particular denominations interpretation of the entire Bible (really Christians shouldn't even be looking at the Old Testament because of the whole New Covenant thing)...

So yeah some Christians are bad people but many are ordinary folks just like the rest of us and I think the same could be said about ANY religious group, there's a lot of good people out there from all religions. I often tell people this "I've met some Christians who were mean and nasty and some atheists who were more morally sound than most Christians, point is don't measure someone based on what they CLAIM to believe."

[edit on 14-8-2009 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I dont really hate christianity, I hate the extreme christianity. I saw the video in the first post and it got me thinking. More so than christianity, my basis is towards Religion in general not necisarily christianity. Religion breeds a sense of superiority because everyone thinks that they are right and the rest of the many faiths is wrong. And every religion wants to prove to others why they are right and others are wrong. Thats my issue not Christianity.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExostFacto
I love you all...no matter what you believe is the truth. I just wish you would sit with me sometime and realize that we are all the same.

(speaking generally)

Well, speaking generally, I'd say this is a pleasant, yet naive take on the situation...

I refuse to commit any emotions to an individual that closes their mind - the one thing they have complete control over (not including mental disease)...what a waste.

And I will be happy to sit with you anytime, but a realization that that we are all the same will never happen - and isn't that a good thing..?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

I think it keeps people in the dark about some obvious scientific and social truths

[edit on 14-8-2009 by Titen-Sxull]

Bingo

Thats the exact sentiment that drove me away from my catholic/jewish believing parents doctrines.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by born-indigo]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
It's important to understand that the problem of intolerance based on religion is not peculiar to the Christian religion, and the behavior of a tiny, ignorant minority of a group is not necessarily representative of that group.

If you read what Jesus actually taught (or at least, what the Bible says he taught), you'll see he was kind, gentle (except to religious bigots), and included all kinds of unsavory people who were supposed to be sinners or scum or whatever. So people who reject others for being different, who condemn them or attack them, aren't even following the teacher they claim to adore. They are ignorant and misguided, ignoring the message entirely.

Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on hypocrites. Every religion has them, though not all of them are so critical of others. But think of the Islamic extremists. They don't just condemn people and burn books. They may wind up burning the people. It's extremism, not religion that is the problem.

Extremists in any belief, religious or otherwise, may do terrible things in the name of their god (examples, Communism's god is "The People"; Nationalism's god is "My Country"; Nazism's god was "Racial Purity"; and so on).

We've got people in the US who are nationalist extremists. Their god is America, in particular a *white* America. Some of these guys form militias; some attack and sometimes kill people of different races or orientations. They are a small minority of the US citizens. Should we judge the whole country - or the concept of democracy - on the basis of these few extremists? I think not. Those people claim to act in the name of "democracy" or "America", but they go against every principle this country represents.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
you act as if Islam, atheism and other religions dont have the same hatred. Intolerance comes in all types. not just Christianity.
why does it seem that Christianity is the source of all hate and injustice in the world? eh? Have you read the sharia laws? Have you seen some cultures that have more civil intolerance.
honestly, if you're going to hate on a religion so much, please have a legitimate excuse.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
We would all be better off by simply eradicating religion and its devout followers.

The future would thank us.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I do believe that the world would be better off without Religion. However, I also believe that the world could possibly co-exist with it. Some people need a belief system, besides, who's to say they're wrong and we're right? Similarly, who's to say they're right and we're wrong?

The fact of the matter is religion and it's doctrines is not the problem, it's extremists and the people who take it a step too far. Generally speaking, the messages religion tries to get across can be beneficial if people read the bible with an open-mind and the ability to think for themselves. It's the people who take everything at face value and think that everyone who disapproves is going to hell and some kind of spawn of Satan that make things difficult..

Edit: By the way, don't let the negatives of the group completely turn you off the concept of religion. Whether you choose to follow it or not, there are intelligent and interesting people out there who follow a religion. The fact is that like any group, the negatives stick out more than the positives. Step back and look at the big picture. While the extremists may be the ones you notice the most, they're only a small part in the big picture.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Akherousia]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
The theology we take into ourselves and make our own becomes a fruit-bearing tree in our souls. If your theology is fundamentalist, you will bear its bittersweet fruit and it will reflect in your character.

Fundamentalism is a strange and legalistic departure from traditional Christianity because it is, in essence, the worship of the ink on the pages of the Bible and just as shallow. Unfortunately, this view persists in the United States like no where else but by no means represents the fullness of the Christian faith.

new topics

top topics

join