It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Finally Fires Lou Dobbs[Op Ed]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I found one link with the same title, from the Hartford Courant, but it redirects to the Chicago Tribune website.....and there is nothing there related to that story.

[edit on 8/14/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

To be honest, even the article itself isn't proof that anything HAS happened. If you read further, it says:

Of course, cautious as he is, Klein did not fire the anti-immigration crusader directly, or even alone. He threw Dobbs overboard as part of a vendetta against radio talk show hosts in general.

As first reported on the Website TVNewser.com, in a conference call on Aug. 11, Klein told his producers they should no longer book radio talk show hosts on CNN shows: not on “The Situation Room,” nor Larry King, Anderson Cooper, or Campbell Brown. From now on, said his edict, no radio talkers will appear on CNN. Period.

Courtesy of this source.

Hope this helps to shed some light on this. I personally don't think that Dobbs will be fired, mainly because he's a mainstay anchor on CNN, and his loss wouldn't go unnoticed.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If this is true, and I hope it's not, you kept your integrity through it all Lou, and that's the only thing that counts.

Peace

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I never voted Democratic or Republican and never believed the sludge that poured from any of their mouths. I used to listen to Dobbs and he did report on some topics that were important to the country such as immigration, North American Union, government waste, corporate greed, extreme outsourcing and insourcing of American jobs, etc. Basically important national topics.
In recent months though he's become more sensationalistic such as reporting police car chases and minute local news strories that mostly belong in small town newspapers. Mostly though, he's gone on this anti-Obama rampage with his out of control spending and Democratic-controlled government hijinx - which is fine and definately deserved - except I wonder where he's been for the last six or seven years when our national debt was doubled very quickly, where was the outrage? As an Equal Opportunity Discriminator and Criticizer, there is tremendous wrongdoing between both national political parties for decades. I hear bitching about infringing on the Conistitution of the United States but where has he been since the (UN)Patriot Act was passed which almost completely UNDERMINES the Constitution???
Is this CNN management or Dobbs fault?
Another million dollar question

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
I guess if one shares an opinion different from rest of the liberal status quo, they get the heave-ho.

Dobbs was just about CNN's only redeeming quality........at least he didn't appear to be some ventriloquist's dummy with a Democrat's hand up his backside, manipulating the controls.

Where will it end?????

Okay, let's see...

I'm a liberal and I agreed with Lou Dobbs on several issues, mainly his being against the SPPNA. I believe that many liberals are against this also.

It's possible, but unlikely that CNN is trying to become objective? A media outlet can't be with reporters such as Lou Dobbs (as right as he may have been) who have an obvious opinion on the material they are reporting on.

Would you say the same thing about Fox News reporters who are obviously "some ventriloquist's dummy with a [Conservative's] hand up [their] backside, manipulating the controls"? I would guess not.

I'm getting sick and tired of ALL reporters who have an obvious opinion about the news they are reporting. I don't like getting "facts" from someone who obviously has chosen one side over the other.

I saw a show on PBS the other day where an oil rig whistleblower was upset when the reporter he was interviewing with told him that he wanted to make it clear that he wasn't on his side. He also said he wasn't on the side of the oil rig company either. He was on the side of truth.

Those are the kinds of reporters we need be getting the news from. Then we can decide ON OUR OWN what our views are on the matter.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
They are not stupid, they'll wait till announce this until the weekend to limit the press, because FOX will have a field day with this.

Bill O'Reilley was already talking about this a few days ago.
(Disclaimer: I do not follow Bill O'Reilly, I am just a news junkie)

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I remember reading a post a year or so ago that mentioned Dobbs as kind of a bellwether. To paraphrase, it said "when they take Dobbs off the air, it's all over" or something like that.

I ditched pay TV awhile back, so I don't get CNN anymore, but I tended to agree with him most of the time. If it's true and he's fired, I hope he finds another gig.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

Yeah, I read the story and saw that, but to tell you the truth, I'm not very familiar with CNN and the people mentioned, so I didn't really understand it.

Shouldn't the title be amended? People are reading the first post and just posting without reading the thread...

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Couldn't agree with you more.

The little tv news I watch will be on PBS or BBCA and listen to NPR news in the car at the top of the hour for headlines.

When the talking heads started being the news instead of simply reporting it to fill 24hrs, the seeds were sown for the demise of the msn.

[edit on 14 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TypeSH2001
As an Equal Opportunity Discriminator and Criticizer, there is tremendous wrongdoing between both national political parties for decades. I hear bitching about infringing on the Conistitution of the United States but where has he been since the (UN)Patriot Act was passed which almost completely UNDERMINES the Constitution???

THIS my friend is the main question that has been on MY mind about ALL Obama critcizers who supported Bush.

Makes absolutely no sense what so ever. The same thing goes for Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Micheal Savage, Bill O'Reily. Not a single one of them cared when republicans AND democrats alike took our rights away with the "(UN)Patriot Act" and grossly enlarged our deficit.

Apparenlty, it's okay when republicans do it, but not democrats.

It's okay to protest high taxes and health care bills, but not illegal, violent murderous wars.

It's okay to take away our 4th, 5th, 6th amendment rights, but not the 2nd amendment.

If you're a liberal and protest the republican gov't, you're an unpatriotic, terrorist sympathizer.

But if you're conservative and protest the democratic gov't, you're a patriotic and how dare the gov't infer you're a terrorists.

Note that I say these things out of utter frustration. I completely agree that we shouldn't lose any constitutional right INCLUDING the 2nd amendment, that this stimulus bill was as bad as the bank bailout bill, and we should have every right to protest against the gov't NO MATTER WHAT your issue is.

I'm just trying to make a point that people only get up in arms when someone infringes on something that effects them personally and don't give a flip when it's something that effects someone that they don't agree with on political matters.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Well after Lou Jack Cafferty is the only one left on Cnn besides Campbell
Brown let's hope this isn't true I really like Lou. If anyone needs to go in my book it's Wolf Blitzer.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yup. Me too. I don't even have cable because it's ALL mindless crap. Well so is most of network TV but at least I have less mindless crap to be bombarded by.

PBS is my good friend!

I don't need ANY reporter or talking head telling me what I should be outraged over or what I should throw my support behind. Just give me the facts from BOTH SIDES and I'll make up my own dang mind.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Nope, as it's the name of the article sourced for the OP. Per the Submission requirements for the BAN Forum, they have to have the actual headline name as the name of the thread.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
I guess if one shares an opinion different from rest of the liberal status quo, they get the heave-ho.

Dobbs was just about CNN's only redeeming quality........at least he didn't appear to be some ventriloquist's dummy with a Democrat's hand up his backside, manipulating the controls.

Where will it end?????

well maybe Lou should wander to another station and be the guy who lacks the gist of a GOP fist... Right

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Stirring up trouble is a very good thing. People should do it more often. Stirring up trouble is the only thing that keeps people debating and discussing until something is thoroughly digested.

I liked him though, and I don't think it was the right thing to do. But he'll be back in a matter of days likely. People like that don't go long without a deal.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
It's also on WND Commentary
www.wnd.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I think the difference that not many people see is the difference between REPORTING the news and COMMENTING on the news. Lou Dobbs would spout his Editorial Opinion as if it were reporting the news when it was actually commentary. Let's face it, Lou Dobbs pontificates. He doesn’t deliver the news he just espouses his own opinions. He doesn’t even pretend to be in the middle of the road, he exults in being on the extreme right. Lou Dobbs doesn't belong in the news industry. He belongs along other Pundits, not among the ranks of Reporters.

Whether you agree with Dobbs or disagree with Dobbs, doesn't change the fact that he is anything other than unbiased reporting of the news. He is a Commentator and Pundit. If CNN wants to shed it's insanely growing list of Commentators and Pundits, then good for CNN.

HOWEVER, I do find fault with the statements CNN President Jon Klein made about radio talk show hosts being incapable of understanding or commenting on the important issues of the day. “Complex issues require world-class reporting,” sniffed Klein. I do agree with Klein that radio talk show hosts do only add to the noise with their all-too predictable partisan banter. However, that isn't to say that they are incapable of understand or commenting on the issues. Talking Heads who deliver the news on any MSM TV Show aren't any more capable. It doesn't take anything more than the ability to read a teleprompter to report the news...and these days you don't even need that...you don't need anything more than a Twitter Account to report the news. To make claim that radio talk show hosts are less capable of understanding the news than TV reporters is asinine and irresponsible of Klein and makes me question the integrity of CNN at all.

So, the Lou Dobbs issue is a non-issue to me. Lou Dobbs is a Pundit, which is fine, so long as he isn't marketed as offering the "News" or labeled as a "Reporter". However, the issue behind why Lou Dobbs won't be on CNN anymore is a big issue and CNN loses cred with me for their poor reasoning.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
FWIW, I couldn't find any verifying story, and to be honest, that Press blog article looks like a snide way to hold Klein to the ridiculous CNN policy of No More Radio Hosts and Press is saying Dobbs is included because he has a radio show :shk:

I could be wrong but I think the OP source is bunk, Op/Ed, wishful thinking....

Why would CNN fire the only anchor who actually gets people to tune in and watch.. isn't that all of the newschannels' goals to get more viewers?

Like I said, I could be wrong...

And Yes, don't remind me...

It wouldn't be the first time

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Heeeere it comes? Do you hear it? I do. It's the slow creeping footsteps of censorship.

Shhhh. Don't say anything baaaad, I might have to tell.

Lou! Fox News Channel is hiring.
First we grabbed Beck now Dobbs.
The libs are just moving the problem around.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
objectivity in broadcasting

Objectivity??? CNN???

Om my gosh, I am almost doubled over laughing!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join