It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is President Obama's Media Overexposure Good or Bad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I am not talking about everyday articles written about the President. I am talking about the appearances the President makes in front of the cameras.

I heard on TV today that the President has appeared in front of the camera to speak everyday except for 8 days since he became President. Interesting stat if this is true. Thus far I haven't found a source to back this statement up.

Since occupying the White House, Barack Obama has hosted fifteen town-hall meetings; appeared in more than 800 images on the White House Flickr photo-stream; and held four prime-time press conferences, the same number held by George W. Bush in his entire presidency. He’s sent a video message to the people of Iran. He’s given an address in Cairo that was translated into fourteen languages. He’s sat on Jay Leno’s couch, where he riffed about the supreme strangeness of having his own motorcade (“You know, we’ve got the ambulance and then the caboose and then the dogsled”), and he’s walked Brian Williams through the White House, where he introduced the anchor to Bo the dog. Two weeks ago, when he made a controversial comment at a press conference (that the Cambridge police had “acted stupidly” toward Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr.), he followed up with yet another press appearance in the White House briefing room—and an exclusive interview on Nightline. And that was before he sat down for a well-publicized beer with Gates and the offending officer …

www.qando.net...

Obama's Chief of Staff comments about overexposure

White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel dismissed questions about whether President Obama is being overexposed with his recent media blitz, saying Tuesday that the American people want to hear what Obama is doing about a struggling economy.

www.cnn.com...

Another source

In covering President Obama's promotion of health care reform and his July 22 press conference, several media figures have suggested that Obama has "overexposed" himself by holding too many press conferences and granting too many interviews. On the July 26 broadcast of ABC's This Week, host George Stephanopoulos stated to his panel that "spending a lot of time with journalists, on television, giving interviews over the last couple of weeks ... has led to this discussion ... about whether the president is overexposed." Similarly, on the July 26 edition of CNN's Reliable Sources, host Howard Kurtz said that the number of interviews Obama has done "raises the question of whether he does too much of that and is overexposed." However, others have disagreed.

mediamatters.org...

On one hand, I think it is good for the President to keep in touch with the public and keep them informed. On the other hand, I think that Americans will start to tune him out because his appearances will become more of a reality show.

"'Inside the Obama White House' is my favorite new show: There's just something compelling about the main character," our 44th president told the radio and TV correspondents dinner.

"It's wonderful narrative. In fact, the show has been such a hit that all of you guys now want to come and tape in my house."

www.seattlepi.com...

What is your opinion of Obama's exposure to the cameras?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I don't think it's good for his presidency.

In a way, it seems like he's doing the rock star thing and does seem to enjoy his time in front of the camera's.

A certain segment of the population are probably asking themselves when he gets any work done.

I'm wondering as well, where did his wife go?
She's a politically astute lady and always struck me as someone who had a lot to offer and a lot to say.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

A certain segment of the population are probably asking themselves when he gets any work done.

I would say many people are asking, but to be fair his appearances usually do not last long. I can understand why people would assume that.

Great question about his wife. I think we will see more of her in the future.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
In the short run, his exposure will work in his favor. But unless he makes some policy changes that actually helps the American Citizen; then he will suffer the same fate as President Bush, in that the he will be seen nothing more than a source for comedy and a figure head for a bunch of inept yahoos.

Now he seems as the great communicator, but eventually you need to communicate something more than just empty optimism.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
In the short run, his exposure will work in his favor. But unless he makes some policy changes that actually helps the American Citizen; then he will suffer the same fate as President Bush, in that the he will be seen nothing more than a source for comedy and a figure head for a bunch of inept yahoos.

I laughed when I read "figure head". Just last week, or maybe it was two weeks ago, I watched a press conference on TV and before it started, Obama swaggered, must more so than the arrogant Bush did, to the podium. As he bopped along, his head was bobbing from side to side and he had that sh*t eating grin on his face, just like Bush had on his face often. I thought to myself, he'd make a great bobblehead because he is a walking bobblehead.

I've seen enough of Obama on TV, just like I had seen enough of Bush on TV. To me, all this TV exposure hurts him. And, my assessment is that more I see of him, the more I believe he is just a talking tool, as was Bush.

Mind you, this is just my opinion and only is intended to address the overexposure I see of him, and how it will affect me and help shape my opinion of him. I think he speaks too much. When I see so much of a president talking and pushing his agenda, it gives me pause to think, is this person really impassioned by his ideals or is he working the crowd, trying to bulldoze a path for an agenda, that is difficult for his fellow countryfolk to swallow and digest. I'm beginning to see it as less passion and more of the pushing of an agenda that is hard to swallow.

Just my .02 New Word Order monetary unit.

Now he seems as the great communicator, but eventually you need to communicate something more than just empty optimism.

Edited to add, my ineptitude allowed my words to get inserted between the quote I was referring to. My bad.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by kyred]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I think his appearances are working well for him -- for the most part -- so far. Just imagine if he were reclusive, the theories we'd all weave about the LACK of appearances.

President Obama is charismatic, and he seems to tap into that everpresent feeling of hope. I think much of the U.S. would respect him more if he'd be real down and truthful about the state of the economy.

He went to China to attempt to peddle soon-to-be-matured treasuries. That was not really successful. I'd have like to seen him say something like, "well, that wasn't sucessful, but here's what we're going to try to boost the economy." Of course, I realize that level of honesty has never been present or reflected in our media bites.

God, what's happening to me......... I really don't believe in President Obama, but I'm sure trying. One one level, I believe we have to support our President....... on another level, I want pure and unadulterated truth to ring loud and free.

The economy is in the crapper. We can (and should) blame a healthy portion of that on the Bush administration. There have been many band-aids, however in the Obama admin. that I think shouldn't have been done. Sometimes, you know, businesses just have to fail. I think much of the bailouts have been prolonging the pain. Let's get it over with, and then get on to the recovery.

I feel for you all in the U.S. But know this: There are a myriad of other countries that are completely dependent upon your economy. Therefore, I have to hope that President Obama knows what he's doing.

Back [FINally] to the OP.... bottom line -- I think if Obama was more serious and gave us the real scope during his presentations, the U.S. would be more willing to consider him "in the boat" with them. Maybe they could even begin to trust him, if he didn't pretend things were so rosy, when any sentient person can see the U.S. economy is skating a very fine and declining edge.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I think if Obama was more serious and gave us the real scope during his presentations, the U.S. would be more willing to consider him "in the boat" with them. Maybe they could even begin to trust him, if he didn't pretend things were so rosy, when any sentient person can see the U.S. economy is skating a very fine and declining edge.

yes, but wouldn't him telling us that things aren't so rosy lead many people to believe that his plans aren't working or that he isn't up to the job?

I think his appearances are working well for him -- for the most part -- so far. Just imagine if he were reclusive, the theories we'd all weave about the LACK of appearances.

Excellent point.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

yes, but wouldn't him telling us that things aren't so rosy lead many people to believe that his plans aren't working or that he isn't up to the job?

Yes, and there's (IMO) a certain segment of the taxpayers that would boooooooooo and hissssssssssssss at such a statement. I believe there are a core of........ what to call them ....... Libertarians? .... that would more easily get on board if he called it like we all see it. I want a President that talks about solutions, one that has confidence, and isn't afraid to take the shots. President Obama seems afraid to take the shots to me. He seems too unsure. Just go ahead and acknowledge that things are SNAFUed. At least it's not FUBARed. We can feel (momentarily) good about that.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

As he bopped along, his head was bobbing from side to side and he had that sh*t eating grin on his face

Yep~I've noticed that a few times lately.......and I must admit,I don't like it.
I need to imbed a video with him doing this,but can't look for one right now..lol.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't MIND him talking so much-or being on television so much,if he actually had something to say.Perhaps some real answers to the questions.Complete answers.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I think Obama just seems overexposed by comparison to Bush.

John F. Kennedy also made numerous appearances during his presidency, as did Ronald Reagan.

Kennedy and Obama had/have some charisma because of their relative youth and energy. They were/are both attractive and have an especial appeal to young people.

Ronald Reagan, on the other hand, had this wise, down-to-earth, paternal image that struck home particularly with more mature people.

I personally feel Obama is quite intelligent and am always interested in what he has to say, but I'm aware not everybody sees him that way.

As for Michelle, it's customary for first ladies to remain discreet and stay out of the limelight as much as possible while still performing their public relations duties. But I bet she is, and always has been, one of Obama's chief counselors.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well my partisanship aside I think it is nice to have a president appear as if he is engaged
in the public sphere. Better put it "states" he is putting himself out there for scrutiny and "dialogue". I am not speaking of his true motive because only he knows really.

On the other hand I think it is very bad for him politically, not to mention the more exposure the more mistake to be decreed. It also diminishes his potency because
it is one big long loop in the public eye. After a while it CAN turn into droning on and on
because of the constant exposure.

Contrary to what many believe I suspect he is trying to do what he thinks is right.
In his case, because of his ideology and prowess that entails listening to five million
ideas and views. On the other hand BUSH (what I have read) had zero intellectual curiosity and could careless about the angles to be explored, which served him well.

But Obama is Liberal and liberals are not good at keeping a unified front or eating crow on behalf of the "party". While as the right is very good at solidarity, muzzling descent
and attacking in a multi front unified way. Hence the more he is out there the more ammo to be forged.

Obama is trying to heard cats and squabble with a very large pack of dogs.

IF Obama or the DEMS ever learn the GOP magic it might be a different story, bit its not.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
reply to post by jam321

Yes, and there's (IMO) a certain segment of the taxpayers that would boooooooooo and hissssssssssssss at such a statement. I believe there are a core of........ what to call them ....... Libertarians? .... that would more easily get on board if he called it like we all see it. I want a President that talks about solutions, one that has confidence, and isn't afraid to take the shots. President Obama seems afraid to take the shots to me. He seems too unsure. Just go ahead and acknowledge that things are SNAFUed. At least it's not FUBARed. We can feel (momentarily) good about that.

I agree very much so...

HE needs to swing his thing even if it is ready, fire, aim... HE could learn a lot from Bush in this regard.

Politically speaking of course...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

But Obama is Liberal and liberals are not good at keeping a unified front or eating crow on behalf of the "party". While as the right is very good at solidarity, muzzling descent
and attacking in a multi front unified way. Hence the more he is out there the more ammo to be forged.

Good observation you made in your post.

Got to agree with a lot of what you said.

Personally, I think he is a quick learner and feel that in time he will pick his opportunity to speak. Right now I feel like he is being pushed out there. I expect him to take more control as he learns the ropes.

top topics

join