It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Denies Holding Beheading Victim Nicholas Berg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The family of the American civilian, Nicholas Berg, who was beheaded yesterday in a grisly video has claimed the coalition had custody of Berg up until April 9th. However, a coalition spokesman said that Berg was never in U.S. custody.

NOLA.com
Berg, who disappeared April 9, was shown in the video on a Web site bearing the title "Abu Musab al-Zarqawi shown slaughtering an American," referring to an associate of Osama bin Laden believed behind a wave of suicide bombings in Iraq.

The video posted Tuesday showed a bound Berg in an orange jumpsuit -- similar to those issued to prisoners held by the American military at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. He was sitting in front of five men, their faces masked, as one read an anti-American text.

Related ATSNN News
Video Shows Beheading of American Civilian by Al Qaeda Group
Anti-Occupation Group Formed in Iraq

Related news
Governor Rendell Offers Condolences To Family Of Nicholas Berg
Shock over Militant Slaying of American

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion
Nick Berg: US PsyOp sacrifice?

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
While he suffered a horific death, one really has to wonder why he was there in the first place. The danger is obvious to all. I just have a hard time buying the fact that a 26 year old owner of a telecommunications company would be in Iraq looking for contracts. I've got to wonder if his ties to the government are closer than we're being told?

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
why would the parents lie about it? that makes no sense. The father said that Berg tried to leave Iraq but was detained, then he got kidnapped. I can't see why the parents of Berg would lie about this.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The main link doesn't work. COrrection, it works now.
I did find this article though that mentions to the this:
Beheaded American civilian had been advised to leave Iraq, U.S. officials say.

A U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Berg was in Iraq "of his own accord" and had been advised to leave Iraq but refused. The official refused to elaborate but promised more information later Wednesday.

According to his family, Berg, a small telecommunications business owner, spoke to his parents on March 24 and told them he would return home on March 30. But he was detained by Iraqi police at a checkpoint in Mosul on March 24.

Berg was turned over to U.S. officials and detained for 13 days. His father, Michael, said his son wasn't allowed to make phone calls or contact a lawyer. On April 5, the Bergs filed suit in federal court in Philadelphia, contending that their son was being held illegally by the U.S. military. The next day Berg was released. He told his parents he hadn't been mistreated. His family last heard from him April 9 but it was unclear when and where he was abducted.

I would be interested to read the article from NOLA.com though. After reading it, it appears to say the same. I did find another article that names the Coalition spokesperson as Dan Senor.
U.S. spokesman says decapitated American was never held by U.S. forces

Washington Post is running this:
FBI Saw Berg Before Beheading

An American civilian who was beheaded in Iraq had been visited three times by FBI agents while in the custody of Iraqi police, but he was never held by U.S. forces, contrary to claims by his family, U.S. officials in Baghdad said today.

Daniel Senor, a spokesman for the authority, said Berg was arrested in the northern city of Mosul on March 24 by Iraqi police, who apparently believed he might be involved in "suspicious activities." Senor said U.S. authorities were notified of the arrest and that the FBI visited him three times in Iraqi police custody. The FBI "determined that he was not involved with any criminal or terrorist activities," and Berg was released on April 6.

"It is my understanding he was advised to leave the country," Senor said. He said other details of Berg's movements are under investigation by the U.S. Army's Criminal Investigation Division and the FBI.

Berg's family filed a lawsuit in federal court April 5 against the U.S. government, charging that Berg was being held by U.S. military authorities without due process. He was freed the following day.

Interesting, but if Daniel Senor is saying that Berg was in custody but not after April 6th, what exactly is being insinuated by the mention of the 'US denies holding Victim'?

seekerof

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Not wanting to speak ill of the dead worldwatcher, but children lie to their parents all the time. I'm not saying I think that is what happened here, but that might explain why the parents wouldn't have to lie.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I found something similar that says that he was being held by US officials.

Now, one question..... why was he wearing an orange jumpsuit like those in American prisons?

Now swallow this:

News Updates from Citizens for Legitimate Government May 11, 2004 www.legitgov.org... legitgov.org...

Oddities surrounding the execution of Nick Berg: Berg was a prisoner of the U.S. military in Iraq. West Chester contractor missing in Iraq (May. 08, 2004, Associated Press) Nick Berg, 26, owned a business called Prometheus Methods Tower Service Inc. He first went to Iraq on Dec. 21. He stayed until Feb. 1, making contact with a company that indicated there would likely be work for him later. But he returned on March 14 and there was no work, so he began traveling. He usually called home once a day and e-mailed several times; Michael Berg is his business manager, and they needed to stay in touch... When FBI agents arrived at the Berg's West Chester home on March 31, they were relieved to know their son was alive, but in jail. The agents questioned them about various details that only they and their son would know about. Jerri Williams, spokeswoman for the Philadelphia FBI office, said the agency was "asked to interview the parents regarding Mr. Berg's purpose in Iraq." On April 5, the Bergs filed suit in federal court in Philadelphia, contending that their son was being held illegally by the U.S. military in Iraq. The next day, April 6, Nick Berg was released. Nick Berg said he would come home through Jordan, Turkey or Kuwait... The Bergs have hounded the State Department, the FBI and the International Committee of the Red Cross, seeking information. Michael Berg said the State Department sent an official to Nick Berg's hotel, where an employee told the official they had not heard of him. [Question: In the video where Nick Berg is beheaded, why is he wearing an orange jumpsuit, as US prisoners wear? -observation/news item submitted by CLG reader Johnny Asia]

Berg interrogated by FBI for two weeks (May 7, 2004 5:27 pm US/Eastern) Among those missing in Iraq is a West Chester, Pa. man who went there on his own in March to inspect damaged radio towers... 26-year-old Nick Berg didn't sign a privacy waiver when he went over there. And even though the State Department is using its one person in Iraq to help track him down, they can't tell anyone, including Berg's parents what's going on. Nick last checked in April 9th, saying he was trying to find a safe way home following two weeks of FBI interrogation, after an arrest in Mosul. He was released after his identity and intentions were confirmed.

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by The Quiet Storm]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by misscleo
children lie to their parents all the time.

...and the government lie to their people all the time. I'm not saying that is what happened here but it might explain the confusion of the parents.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
As idiotic a question as this may be, is the orange jumpsuit a cloth/lenin type? Looking at the pictures and video, it almost seems made of silk....hmmm. Light reflects on it, and the fabric has silk-like characteristics.

If so, as wierd as this may seem, does the Coalition or Iraqi police issue this type jumpsuit? Yes, I understand that the jumpsuits are orange but again, the fabric characteristics are what I am merely questioning. IS it just light-weight fabric characteristics or silk or something similar?

Anyone clarify this or notice the same?

Pictures from here:
Purported Al Qaeda Leader Beheads U.S. Civilian in Iraq

seekerof

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
seekerof, the outfit looks very similar to traditional arab gear, called a kurta....perhaps the orange was chosen because the US uses orange on their prisoners??? but it doesn't look like a one piece jumpsuit to me....more of a two piece kurta....and yes it does look silky/shiny like silk or taffeta

seekerof, my apologies for always adding an extra letter at the end of your username...my bad

[Edited on 5-12-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Its interesting that you mention that worldwatcher, because I am not fully aware that the Coalition or Iraqi police issuse such as you have mentioned: kurta.

I watched the video up to the head removal and looked at more pictures and do not think this is the type clothing that the Coalition or Iraqi police issue to prisoners.

Thank you for responding as you did and no biggie on the name gurl.

Thank you.

seekerof

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Is it possible to download the video? All I find a pics...

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Are you completely sick? There is nothing more appalling than watching someone's excution, AND being able to see the excution take place ON CAMERA.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
That's precisely why everyone should see it, IMO. No one should be sheltered from the cold, hard reality.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I just watched it....
I think it was more sickening while he was reading out the speech than the actual event... Imagine what it must of been like for him, to know it was his final moments...
I feel sick

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
We don't know for certain what happen. I think it is very possible that he might have tried to shelter his parents from knowing that everything was not ok, when I was in the Navy I had to do that quite a few times, so my parents and rest of the family wouldn't be worried. Sometimes you do have to give small lies not to worry your folks.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
And now, the Iraqi Police dent detaining him:

Iraqi police in the northern city of Mosul today denied U.S. government assertions that they detained Nick Berg before the 26-year-old American was kidnapped and beheaded, the Associated Press reported.

Bloomberg

What is up with this story?
So many people are denying what was initially reported.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
You see the US govt doesnt want to take blame for his death yet earlier Bush said" we will bring the terrorists to justice" Bush is full of it/

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Hi, just some pieces to add to this puzzle:

Link with a pretty comprehensive analysis of this at BreakforNews.com including links to Berg's emails, links to the video etc: www.kathymcmahon.utvinternet.com...

Most of the speculation and facts at the above link raises interesting questions. It presents a wide spectrum of possibilities and little known facts.

Right now I can't say for sure what I think happened and why.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by browha
Imagine what it must of been like for him, to know it was his final moments...

I doubt he knew. Why would they tell him?

top topics

join