A letter to my congressman....

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
His reply from a prior email.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Troubled Assets Relief Program. I appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

Last year, prior to my election to Congress, the United States House of Representatives and the Senate passed H.R. 1424, the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. President Bush signed it into law on October 3, 2008. This legislation provided up to $700 billion to financial institutions through the Troubled Assets Relief Program (TARP), in order to gain the confidence of investors and ensure support in our financial industry.

The first round of financial support consisting of $350 billion was released in 2008. The Treasury Department released the first round of financial support, consisting of $350 billion, in 2008. On January, 22, 2009, the House of Representatives considered H.J.Res. 3, legislation that would have prevented the release of the second tranche of the TARP funds. I voted in favor of this resolution, which passed by a vote of 270 to 155, because I had serious concerns about the lack of transparency in the initial TARP funds. I believe federal funds given in emergency situations require significant oversight to protect against fraud and waste. This was not present in the TARP legislation.

Additionally, I voted in favor of H.R. 384, the TARP Reform and Accountability Act of 2009. This bill would increase transparency, limit the use of funding for golden parachutes for CEOs, and put in place requirements for the use of funds for foreclosure mitigation. H.R. 384 passed the House by a vote of 260 to 166 and is before the Senate for further consideration.

Please know that over the course of the 111th Congress, I will work diligently with my colleagues and members of the new administration tackle our economic problems. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please feel free to contact me in the future if I may be of any assistance.

Please do not reply to this email. It was sent from an unattended mailbox. Direct further corespondence to the website at: driehaus.house.gov.... Thank you.

My reply to him, and my big IDEA on Health Care.

"Thank you for getting back to me. I respect that you showed me some of positions on this, again thank you... However in the future, when it comes to stuff such as TARP and BAILOUTS for corporations I would appreciate it if you would let the system weed out the bad companies... Regardless of the effects Government Intervention Almost always never works. Look to GM and Chrysler in the 70s the still shed jobs.

In truth this email is about the Health Care reform bill floating around in Congress this issue is a touchy Issue, I Think it’s to big for Congress and The Senate to decide. I think all should get a few different Bills together and hold a national referendum on Nov 4th, 2010. This way we the People can Decided for ourselves if any of the plans you guys have will work for us. Something that big needs to be decide by us the People not our elected reps, but we the people, I don’t trust 535 people to make a BIG Decision like this for 300 Million Americans.

And no health care for illegal’s."

Please let me know what you think... Maybe if I should add some more to it or not.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
No takers on this? Yesterday I got ripped alive for wanting to march off to war against the gov....today I hear crickets.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I dont know if I want to comment on this, but I do encourage you to show any signs of activism. Also, writing to congressmen is a joke and does nothing. Just look at the thread "screw the country, Obama must fail."

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Two days ago I made a trip to the office of my congressman just to let him know how I felt about things.... I was amazed that I was allowed to walk in and do it and it wasn't at all an uncomfortable experience.... Did it make any difference? I seriously doubt it but if enough people were to do likewise they might begin to listen to those that can't afford to hire lobbyist to do there bidding.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

I have been to his office as well.... And we have gotten into arguments about it the fact that he only dealt with the lobbyist

new topics

join