It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain’s army chief says Afghan mission could take 40 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

The former commander of NATO’s quick reaction force, who is now poised to step into the role as Britain’s army chief, says his country’s troops should be prepared to be engaged in Afghanistan for decades to come.

WTF?!?!

Article in Stars and Stripes

But while the British army’s role will evolve, “the whole process might take as long as 30 to 40 years,” Richards said during an interview published Saturday.

Richards added that there was “absolutely no chance” of NATO pulling out completely, telling The Times that Britain would continue to do its part in the nation-building effort.

The general’s comments have caused consternation among some British political leaders, who are saying such a commitment is unsustainable.

However in January, Gen. John Craddock, supreme allied commander Europe at the time, offered a rough projection, which resembles Richards’ views.

Craddock, who retired last month, told reporters that he expected U.S. troops to be engaged in Afghanistan for at least a decade, if not longer.

“Maybe not at current force levels, but I think we’ll see a presence there for decades,” Craddock said.

This is such B.S.

So, we can look forward to sending our men and women to DIE in Afghanistan for another few DECADES?!?!

Something has got to give. Surely they aren't this stupid are they? They know we can't 'win' over there, right?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hmmm. Stinks of imperial ambitions to me...

Richards added that there was “absolutely no chance” of NATO pulling out completely, telling The Times that Britain would continue to do its part in the nation-building effort.

If these forces are going to be there for a few decades, it sounds as if certain values and ideology are going to be implanted into Afghanistan's culture and way of life, slowly and insidiously, whilst western dominion gets built up around their ears.

But surely the Afghan people won't take this? Surely they'll see what's going on and try to preserve their country? But they'll probably just be denounced as 'terrorists' by the puppet government and clamped down upon...

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
40 years? Hell no, this war has dragged for long enough already.

Notice how he talks about nation building as if its a good thing. When will we learn that you cannot bomb+force people into democracy.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
40 more years ? I thought they were going there to catch Osama Bin Laden ? It's good I watch the MSM , else I'd start thinking that was all BS and it was the drug fields and the energy corridors and curtailing China's influence in the region they were after . I'd start thinking we'd been lied too and this is nothing short of imperialism rearing it's ugly head again . Thank god for the MSM to put me straight. Those darn terrorists.

new topics

top topics

join