It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a basic science/astronomy question for you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I got to wondering about this, and I figure a lot of folks here would surely know the answer, so here goes:

We are told that our Universe is measurable, that it's sort of this big ball of existence that expanded outward in every direction from a singularity. But it's also, apparently, finite, right? That is to say, it doesn't just go on forever and ever, does it?

So what I'm asking is, if you could somehow overcome the problem of traversing the vast distance of our Universe, would it be hypothetically possible for a space traveler to eventually reach the "outside edge" of our Universe? If so, could he, she, or it then cross that boundary, and leave our Universe behind, journeying out into a black, starless void? Would they eventually bump into other neighboring Universes?

Or does the idea that both space and time are a product of our Universe's big-bang creation mean that space-time cannot exist outside our Universe, and there is no way to physically exit it in the conventional way that I'm imagining?

Just curious.

Thank you in advance for your input...

[edit on 14-8-2009 by flightsuit]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Interestingly, earlier today, I searched for "edge of the universe" today on Google, as it popped into my mind! What I read, is that, due to gravity in the Universe, there really is no "edge" of the Universe. This is because, gravity, more or less, forces the Universe to curve, more and more, as it expands outward. That would mean that, it is impossible to reach the edge and go out of the Universe [that way]. You'd probably just "turn around". Or maybe, it'd be like in a video game...when you reach the "edge" you'd just appear on the other side!

I personally think, as a simple layman, that blackholes probably are what connect various Universes, and it is through them that we would be able to leave our Universe and enter another. [Perhaps, if you could look at the whole thing, it would look like the "ball and stick" models from chemistry class.]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
There is a theory that the universe is circular, so instead of reaching the edge if you went in a straight line you would just end up doing the round trip and be back at where you started.
I dont really think that as of yet there is a answer to your question though.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
as of right now, there is no real way of knowing. We cant see past Cosmic microwave background radiation which in theory is the boundary of our entire observable universe. and Ive always though about a much more interesting thing, what if you could find the "Exact Center" of the entire observable universe? The way all objects are gravitationally bound, compounded by all galaxies orbiting around that one point, well, I bet there would be some crazy physics going on there.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I look @ the univers like a fluid filled tank with say"dark fluid" now maybey there is another tank sitting next to our univers that has say "blue fluid" in it the technological trick would be to figure out how to cross from 1 tank to the other and the space in betwen tank would be???????????????????you cannot do this with any flesh form located in the dark fluid tank for your flesh is to heavy THIS IS WERE FAITH LIES DEEP WITHIN

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by flightsuit
...would it be hypothetically possible for a space traveler to eventually reach the "outside edge" of our Universe? If so, could he, she, or it then cross that boundary, and leave our Universe behind, journeying out into a black, starless void?

There are many theories as to whether the universe is finite or infinite, but here's one possible answer to your question...

...if the universe is finite, and does have a "boundary", the other side of that boundary is probably not simply a "starless void" -- it's more of a "timeless/spaceless void". I don't even know if you can call it a void, because without time and space, that place does not exist.

So according to some theories, you can't go outside the universe, because without space and time, the place called "outside the universe" doesn't exist -- and you can't go to a place that doesn't exist. (and I'm using the term "exist" as us humans define it).

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Questions like this make my leetle head hurt!

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If you could, you would probably just find space. An area with absolutely nothing.

No, black holes don't go to other universes or anything. They simply suck things up and blast out radiation. They are mass to energy converters.

Anywho, it's just space. The gravity of all matter in the universe would be sufficient enough to hold the matter together. so you'd probably just have space.

Space is infinite. It's impossible to believe yea, but it's just simply that.

There's nothing that says you might just hit a wall, but who knows.

new topics

top topics

join