It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica: Glacier 'thinning faster'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I know this topic can get a little tiresome and god knows there has been plenty of discussion and debate over it but here's the latest report from Antarctica.

news.bbc.co.uk...

What concerns me is that when scientists think they can predict melting rates, x number of years down the line they have to re-evaluate their models and calculations.

This, for me, shows that the change in climate behaviour is affecting Antarctica more severely than is currently accepted.

Edit for incorrect title

[edit on 14/8/09 by logicalview]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

They just keep changing the math to justify their conclusions.

An old saying in statistics. . . "Torture numbers long enough and they'll give you any answer you want."

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

An old saying in statistics. . . "Torture numbers long enough and they'll give you any answer you want."

So true, and that's what so much of our science (and therefore, our understanding of the world.)

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I remember an article on NewsScientist from a few months ago which was telling the opposite. Unfortunately though the full version is now available only to subscribers:
Why Antarctic ice is growing despite global warming

This is an analysis from a renowned AGW skeptic website:
Revealed: Antarctic ice growing, not shrinking

Another skeptic view I found while I was looking for the full NewsScientist article:
Report: Antarctic Ice Growing, Not Shrinking

In general, try searching up on Google "antarctic ice growing", many articles and websites from April 2009 will come out.

[edit on 2009/8/14 by Shirakawa]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

I certainly acknowledge that conflicting reports keep being presented to us.

It's the 'global warming' debate all over. There is so much controversy.

I have read the links you have provided on a previous occasion. I seem to recollect that the increase in snow/ice was found to be the case on more inland areas but i will read them again. Thanks.

I have read articles in the past that have stated that the more ice melts the faster the rate of melting becomes. That was what prompted me to post this report.

Scientists dont seem to be able to accurately predict the rates at which the glaciers and ice shelves are melting. The extent only becomes apparent when the damn things are crumbling into the ocean.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Yes, eastern and central Antarctica are supposedly not showing signs of significant degradation with respect to ice melt. The west coast, however, is and the report you provided acknowledges this.

although experts are concerned at ice losses on the continent’s western coast.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

It depends on the factors they add in or take out, and which one gives favourable answers to match other theories.

The error in calculation of stats for future events has such a large error, that anything within that error can be determined to be what they predicted.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by john124]

new topics

top topics

join