It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Appeal for anti-terrorist gadgets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The govt needs to help develop technology that we can use to fight terror attacks.

The terrorists use new technologies very fast and anit-terror technologies must be developed faster to ensure that keep pace with the terrorists. There is a need to change our capability to fight terror and world calss expertise and communications are needed so that this technology takes us into the future

An appeal for inventors to develop anti-terrorist gadgets has been launched by the government.

Real-life versions of scientist Q in the 007 films are being offered funding to develop technology to aid the fight against groups like al-Qaeda.

The appeal is part of the Home Office's three-year Science and Technology Counter-Terrorism Strategy, CONTEST. This predicts that terrorists will use modern technology not just to plan and carry attacks, but also to spread propaganda and bring in new recruits.

Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 14-8-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

I saw the article on the anti-boat gun this morning although I didn't watch the video.

I'm not sure why the government is appealing to inventors as I would of thought they had their own research & development teams looking at such matters.

Who knows maybe they've come a bit unstuck and need a helping hand.

It's definately the right idea though, as technology is advancing surely its only a matter of time before terrorist state using sligtly more modern ways to go about their business.

Saying that I'm pretty sure they already are doing, wasn't there a news article a while back about the Al-Quada using steganography? I'm pretty sure I remember something along those lines.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I read that report, and I don't really think there is a 'terrorist think tank' creating new and original weapons to cause death and destruction, more like the Governments want to create new weapons and are running out of ideas to new ways to kill people. All in the name of 'anti-terrorism' to keep the war on terror alive and justified.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
innovative new weapons to fight imaginary enemies. okay, how about a pink elephant gun!!!

30 year old AK47's and some IED's do not require a particularly high tech solution, just stop invading other peoples f**king countries.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I think this government, whichever it is, needs to focus on the dangers that are really killing people.

In 2001, we lost around 3,000 people to terrorism in the US. Since then we've lost several thousand soldiers, which we can attribute to terror. So let's say around 10,000 victims of terror since 9/11/2001. That's a lot of people. But maybe I missed a few victims, so let's make it 50,000 victims of terrorism, all killed. That's the population of a respectable town. So many deaths are a tragedy. But let's put it into perspective.

About six times that number of people die every year as a result of smoking. We lose around 75,000 people each year to excessive alcohol use. 300,000 lost to obesity each year. Heart disease and cancer, over a million total. Each year.

All told, we've lost over 10 million people since 9/11/01, many of those deaths being preventable. But we're still trembling over the possibility of a terrorist attack, as we stuff the cheeseburgers and fries down our throats, light up another cigarette, or whatever. We've lost more people to accidents in the workplace, than we've lost to terrorists.

Our concerns are seriously misplaced. The chances of us dying of something other than terrorists is about 99.5%, just counting the causes of death I listed (and ignoring homicides, traffic accidents, and a whole bunch of other causes). Yet we're still focused heavily on terrorists.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

smoking: your choice
drinking: your choice
eating junk food: your choice
driving: your choice

terrorism: random and unpredictable

people worry less about something they can control. it's not about risk minimization, it's about control maximization.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
This program is really more about keeping an eye on the population that making new weapons, article here:

www.wired.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The only way to kill terrorists is genocide. Obviously that's really stupid and we should not do that but we do end up doing it and I feel really bad for people in the middle-east.

I don't feel bad for the middle-east government though. That's all bad.

Another weapon would be education. If we instead of blowing people up just eductated them saying that God does not exist (I believe God exists but if it's the only way to stop violence then i'm all for it) so that they don't have to go blowing up taxis to get into heaven.

new topics

top topics

join