It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was bored so I did the math...how big is the estimated universe!? Anyone?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
some very interesting ideas. But like i said, i just used the expression of the "visible universe scaled down to a golf ball" theory, and had a look at the estimated actual size of what they describe in there.
on another note...why not give a shape to the universe? i think if the universe is ulimately composed out of light enegry, the why not a sphere? light travels the same speed in all directions? Thus a sphere is the result. then again...that would only be if all light originated from a single point, which we still dont know...(ever will know?)

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Snails travel at 2.36 inches per minute

The distance in inches to the moon is 15000000000

therefore it takes a snail 7.5 billion mins to get to the moon or 342,000 years

The voyager spacecraft is estimated to be 6.5 billion miles away

since this is approx 26,000 times further away that the moon it would take a snail approx 8.9 billion years to complete the journey we have done in 30 years.

Had we carried the snail there and it had been telling his/her mates about the journey they would have said what a load of bollocks!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Size is, afterall, subjective

firstly, that's what she said. sorry, couldnt resist.

Secondly, a Babylon 5 episode (dont remember which one, not going back and watching the first 2 seasons agian to find something that happened for 2 minutes) where G'Kar was explaining to another explained that if one were to pick up an ant off of a flower and move it around in a circle, and then return it to the flower, what would the ant say that happened to him?

thirdly, there are 3 theoretical shapes to the universe, one being flat, one being spherical, and one being hyperbolic, kind of like a horse saddle-looking thing depending on the local curvature, and critical density and whatnot, or something like that.

Linky

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by GerhardSA

Dude, you spelled "to" wrong down there..

Just sayin..

JK, thanks for the read and the math work

top topics

<< 1   >>

join