It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second backwards planet found, a day after the first

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Second backwards planet found, a day after the first

www.newscientist.com

Just a day after the announcement of the first extrasolar planet found orbiting its star backwards, two other teams announced the discovery of a second one.

"It is funny that the two good cases for really misaligned orbits, even retrograde orbits, have come at around the same time," says Joshua Winn of MIT, lead author of one of the new papers.

Both Winn's team and another, led by Norio Narita at the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, used the Japanese Subaru telescope to observe planet HAT-P-7b

[edit on 14-8-2009 by Ir0nM0nkey]

[edit on 14-8-2009 by Ir0nM0nkey]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Star's spin

Winn's measurements indicate that the planet either runs backwards along the star's equator, at a tilt of about 180°, or it orbits the star's poles, at a 90° tilt.

It is difficult to distinguish between the two scenarios because astronomers can't tell the angle at which the star is pointed towards Earth – they can only detect that one side of the star has a component of its velocity that is rotating towards Earth, while the other side has a component that is rotating away.

"We don't know if it's a slowly rotating star that we're seeing edge-on, or a really rapidly rotating star that we're seeing pole-on," Winn says. "It could be like the solar system – but reversed, or it could be going pole over pole. Either way it's cool."

Because HAT-P-7b is in Kepler's field of view, Kepler could solve the mystery by observing the movement of sunspots across the face of the star.

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
So, the big bang theory is ruined in just two days then.

So funny that Kent Hovin and others of the kind has said it for years, and it proves the BB didnt create the univers...

Cause, if the BB was true, all planets and stars and galaxies would be spinning in the same direction....

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ir0nM0nkey

Interesting find, I've never heard of anything like this before.

It just shows how little we really know about what's out there.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

So funny that Kent Hovin and others of the kind has said it for years, and it proves the BB didnt create the univers...

Cause, if the BB was true, all planets and stars and galaxies would be spinning in the same direction....

Wouldn't gravity, atmospheric changes, and planetary impacts cause change over billions of years? I'm no scientist but it doesn't seem that simple to rule out the BB, who knows maybe I'm not reading it right.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
what an amazing year it has been , so far for Astronomy.

So much happening every week or so. Whats next!!!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sik Mike

Originally posted by ChemBreather

Wouldn't gravity, atmospheric changes, and planetary impacts cause change over billions of years? I'm no scientist but it doesn't seem that simple to rule out the BB, who knows maybe I'm not reading it right.

The 'theory' is that every thing spinns in the same direction out from the original direction of the object,BB,and spinns the same way out from the blast, if you will.
It is like spinning balls in an left to right and throw them, all the balls would spinn L to R as that is the direction the were spinning at the start.

i think it is an rule on that: Thumb rule ? spinning a pensil with your thumb ? Not sure..
Im too lazy to start searching the web right now..

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Why would a planet orbiting backwards prove the big bang theory wrong? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question to ask. Isn't it possible that somewhere down the line an ansteroid or something could have hit it and changed its orbit?

woops, someones already said this haha

[edit on 14-8-2009 by JustLikeSuperman]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
what an amazing year it has been , so far for Astronomy.

So much happening every week or so. Whats next!!!

H3ll yea, Year of Astronomy 2009 ..
2010 is the year of disclosure, I hope that turns out the same way.
Year of official first contact is 2011 ? or is that 2010 also ?

Same shait, just hopes it produces the same level of results..

[edit on 14/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

No offense intended in this...but you assume this discovery proves the big bang false? You honestly think this is the nail in the coffin and the winning punch for the YEC movement?

But...then you add...in the details of a following post (after you are questioned about the logic of this statement) that you are "too lazy right now to go look it up"?

Really?

You mean...the possible smoking gun to prove young earthers right, give great weight to the possibility of god, AND prove the BB to be the biggest mistake ever made in the history of studying the universe...and your just a little too lazy to double check your data at the moment?

Lucky for those who may trust you as the "informed" type, you are not too lazy to just declare the BB theory debunked and dead.

Well...just so you know...no...not all things spin in the same direction when propelled from a chaotic explosion of any size.

And no...in no shape or way does this even remotely begin to become any point against the big bang. Not even close, not one iota, not one bit.

Making that leap from what is being presented here within science and observation is really not the best way to go about understanding the mysteries of the universe.

But you may feel comfortable in doing so.

Again, I mean no offense here, I simply needed to make sure that no one read your "this ends the theory of the Big Bang" statement and then went around spreading false science in the name of your misconception of physics.

I'm just saying...its rumors and leaps in judgment that lead to thousands of people babbling about things that are just not true or based in any research.

Peace!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Red dwarf
Backwards
Classic
Sorry for the pathetically small post

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Honestly, I think this is a sign of the apocalypse. Apocalypse as in - end of the universe. Two planets running backwards discovered within days of each other?? The odds of unicorns existing are probably higher.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Well prove nothing blew up and created the universe. The big bang says that there was nothing and it blew up and a complete universe with planets spinning in all directions were created from nothing.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Whoa now...I never said anything about the Big Bang being real.

I simply pointed out that someone made a conclusion that the BB was just factually debunked before our eyes just because we found two planets behaving in a way we have not seen before.

I also must say that its an amazing discovery!

But...alas, my point was about "two backward planets" do not relate to "the big bang is now proven to be false".

In total defense of anyone who thinks the BB didn't happen...it hasn't proven to be fact yet, and you are well within your rights to suspect its false.

But two planets moving in a reverse rotation in no way discredits the big bang (and surly not for the reasons presented)

Anyways, thanks for posting this thread. The universe has been shocking us all recently. I find it inspiring!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Maybe these planets were not from that solar system, but were caught in gravity of star.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
backwards?
well, may they aren't planets but satellites? we'll find out soon when we get a closer look..

new topics

top topics

join